Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about my cat

Options
  • 18-08-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been searching online because I am very worried about my cat Little Boy, although I think he may be suffering a deep depression. Little Boy is a two-year-old neutered tabby tom. I live with him and two other tabbies a girl called Tiggy and Old Lad (all adopted me and were unwanted). We very rarely have visitors and all three are wary of people but used to my company.

How all this started was some weeks back I had to go away for a week and had a friend stay here to look after my cats. Before I left my friend Lindy was here for a couple of days to get to know the cats with me here and at that point Little Boy was acting all scared and shy and hiding away most of the time. When I was away my friend told me all three were acting sad but Little Boy came out of his shell and got to like her and had been playing with her. When I came back I hoped everything would get back to normal but it hasn't!

Lindy had to leave a day later and Little Boy from then on has been acting very strangely - almost like all his normal character and happy personality has gone! He was a very active cat who enjoyed eating, being petted, playing, chasing Tiggy (my neutered lady cat), following me in the bathroom and sleeping on my bed along with the others. Now he has been moping about, doesn't like me to cuddle or smooth him, doesn't purr, doesn't play with anything or with Tiggy, sleeps even more, hides under the bed and goes in the bath and on the table and just lies there and looks ahead or sleeps. The day after my friend went he managed to get onto the next door's balcony which he'd never managed before and I discourage. He couldn't get back and was crying finding nothing there and that he couldn't get back over and I had to reach over to get him but I assumed he was looking for Lindy. I thought he would get over her being gone but it doesn't look like it.

His coat looks fine and he is going to the toilet normally although he has lost his appetite a bit - he was a very greedy cat and used to run if I opened the fridge or the cupboard or a tin and put his arms up on me and make a sound saying "I want food" but not now.

Does anyone know if the symptoms I have described fit cat depression and what I can do please? I just want to see the life and happiness back in him! It's as if he has become a very old cat overnight and lost all interest in the world!

Tiggy and Old Lad are both their normal selves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ask your friend around & see if he changes - if so hes pining for your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hmm... I'm a bit stumped on this one. I had a friend mind my two cats when I was away for a week, and they were quite cool with us for a few days (like how dare mommy and daddy leave me!), but they were back to normal by the end of the week.

Ask your friend what her routine was. Perhaps she brought something special to treat them since you were away, or played a certain game with them that he misses? Otherwise, maybe something with her scent on it might cheer him up. Buy a toy for him and ask her to keep it with her for a few days. See if maybe that brightens his spirits.

Otherwise, take him to the vet, as sometimes depression can be just one symptom of a medical issue. Hope he gets back to normal soon.

Advertisement