Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick point about today

Options
  • 18-08-2007 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

The speed with which some have jumped on a great win (and good performance by all accounts, I'll confirm that later when I get to see the game) as "proof" that the doubters are wrong is ironic.

Remember, conclusions drawn from 90 minutes against Derby today are as (in)valid as conclusions drawn from 90 minutes against Everton on Tuesday night.

I've heard it said that it is ridiculous to judge our manager and team after only two games, surely that applies after one more game as well?

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Agreed.

Although i'm glad for Jol and team morale etc, Derby will to finish bottom of the league and are not premiership standard. We know we can pass well and impress against teams like that, it's against tougher opposition are tough in midfield and get men behind the ball, that we concede and invariably lose to.

The Top 4 all have better quality than us so if we lose to those teams i can accept it, although we should be able to give them a game. But we have more quality in personel than Everton, Blackburn, Reading, etc. - if&when these teams beat us - because they are organised better, that questions need to be asked about the management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

I certainly agree with that, Man U wont give our players the same time on the ball as Derby did today

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I've heard it said that it is ridiculous to judge our manager and team after only two games, surely that applies after one more game as well?

Agree Ronan, Derby are a very poor team indeed and look bankers to go back down.

That aside though far better movement in opening 15 minutes than in previous 2 games.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Three games in, it's possible to look at things a little more calmly. Was I nervous before to-day? yes I was. A win was necessary. How do I feel now? Better- but next week will tell a lot. Flat track bullies are not enough anymore. Our players have to step up and commit next week to a 96 or 7 minute performance.
    So far? I see it like this.
    SUNDERLAND
    An awful game, a poor performance, nearly an acceptable result.
    EVERTON
    a much better game, nearly a decent performance, a poor result. There were a few illuminating moments. Another goal from a set piece. A second goal from deep inside our box. An awful 20% pass into the centre circle from Zokora leading to the free kick for the third goal. Chimbonda standing hand on hips at least once in the second half.
    Good points? Rocha looked commited and competent. Kaboul looked very decent before his injury. Malbranque never hid- nothing seemed to work for him.
    Events can overtake Managers. Jol went with 3 left backs in the squad, and seemed to be planning to play malbranque in front of one. Then they all get injured. Lennon is missing from the other wing. We are narrow and stodgy.

I would have played 4-3-3 with Berbatov and Keane playing Bent in against Sunderland- hit them on the break with speed. Against Everton, we showed so little in the second half. Remember Chelsea in the Cup at Stamford Bridge? They were three one down at half time, but just kept lifting the tempo and forcing the pace until the goals came. They did the same against us in the league at the Lane, and were a little unlucky not to pull it back. We need that attitude.

Taarabt looks like a premiership footballer. Tainio is not. Lee YP was never as loved as when he was injured. He's welcome back. Steed's 2 goals and Jenas's one may free tem up a little. Huddlestone must learn his lesson from Sunderland- you don't piss around on the edge of your own area. Rocha is the best 5th choice CB in the premiership, and we don't need Curtis Davies.

We cannot judge Martin Jol until Boetang and Bale come in, and Rose/Taarabt/Berchiche/Dervitte get a chance. They must be the missing link, or we buy it now. Personally, I would leave Jol there for the rest of the season unless things fall to ****. He needs to decide on his best team, and to have real options on his bench. I would still prefer our situation to that of Everton. Loafds of reason to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

As one of the people who did indeed jump on that result and giving "I told you so's" out I agree. But it was good to see a reaction to the criticism and to see the players rally around their manager.

Hopefully we go from strength to strength with some crucial players getting clean bills of health and we get to see some of our new boys making an impression. I just hope it's a case of just needing one win beneath our belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Great win, totally p1ssed on Derby when the media's attention was on Jol. Fair play to him and fair play to the players.

But in the grand scheme of things Jol's not good enough to break the top 4.
    and that's what really matters to me, and that's what really should matter to all the supporters and those who run the club.

This Ramos business looks very likely to happen. Only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

But it was good to see a reaction to the criticism and to see the players rally around their manager.

That was what i took most from the game - players seem keen on manager, despite previous results. Certainly has not lost battle in dressing room whatever about board room.

Advertisement