Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rilo Kiley-Under the Blacklight

Options
  • 18-08-2007 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Oh dear...

I had noticed that More Adventurous was a slight step down from The Execution of All Things, but it was still a fine album. I picked up Under the Blacklight yesterday, and while it's not awful or anything, it's pretty underwhelming. It has its moments, like the George Harrison sounding Silver Lining, but most of the songs sound flat and bland.

One of the observations I've read about the album in the reviews is how polished the production is, about how its the bands big play for mainstream success. The production is very polished, a little too much soo, but it wouldn't matter really if the songs were stronger. The songs, or rather the best songs on the last two records, were either very memorable, or seemed to be of some emotional weight, or both. And both are in relative short supply on this album. Jenny Lewis' voice sounds as great as ever, so I suppose it should be hoped her next solo album is a little more memorable than this average, dissapointing (on the whole) album.

Advertisement