Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic Converter

Options
  • 18-08-2007 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I recently had my NCT. My car failed and was explained to me in broken English and gestures about my catalytic converter and the lambda. Does the whole converter have to get replaced if the lambda is broken?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Replacing a cat is very expensive.
    Get the car checked out properly - people cannot tell you what is wrong with your car based on the poor quality advice that you were given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

boreds wrote:
    I recently had my NCT. My car failed and was explained to me in broken English and gestures about my catalytic converter and the lambda. Does the whole converter have to get replaced if the lambda is broken?

Can't see for the life of me what the testers nationality has to do with your defective car. The tester doesn't have to tell you anything about why you failed, he/she is perfectly entitled to hand you the sheet and say, "sorry, you have failed". Go see your mechanic who will tell you what needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

kbannon wrote:
    Replacing a cat is very expensive.
    Get the car checked out properly - people cannot tell you what is wrong with your car based on the poor quality advice that you were given.

The advice given to the OP was probably very detailed and is on the fail sheet the OP was given. The NCT tester doesn't have to know why the car failed emissions, he/she only has to know that it did or didn't fail or pass and if it failed, what it failed for. After that, it's up to the owner of the car to remedy the problem through their mechanic. The NCT tester can't just immediately diagnose the exact cause of problem, it's really outside of his remit to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

and to awnser your question, no the whole cat doesn't have to be replaced if its just the lambda sensor broken.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ darragh - I know that - I was referring to the conversation between the OP & the tester. The results sheet should contain enough info to help diagnose the problem.
    @slipss - thats assumig it is the lambda!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thanks slipps, thats all I wanted to know for the moment.

I do intend to get it checked out, but I need to know to expect a whole new converter, as it costs a good bit.

And no, it doesnt matter what nationality the nct person is, it's not really relevant to my question, I was just explaining what was said to me, because it may not have been the right word.

Advertisement