Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Club Membership

Options
  • 18-08-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm originally from Newcastle Co. Dublin, and now living in Goatstown. I got my shotgun license when I was 16, and since then I've been trying to join the local gun club to no avail, they always "claim" to be full up. I'm now 23, and have somewhat lost touch with shooting. The group that I used to shoot with have all grown apart, and I would dearly love to get back into the swing of things.

I have two German pointers, a mother and daughter, the daughter of which I'd love to start shooting pheasant over her.

Has anybody got any suggestions of how I'd get back into the swing of things, I still have my shotgun and the Gun club in Newcastle is still full up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

pampers wrote:
    Hi, I'm originally from Newcastle Co. Dublin, and now living in Goatstown. I got my shotgun license when I was 16, and since then I've been trying to join the local gun club to no avail, they always "claim" to be full up. I'm now 23, and have somewhat lost touch with shooting. The group that I used to shoot with have all grown apart, and I would dearly love to get back into the swing of things.

I have two German pointers, a mother and daughter, the daughter of which I'd love to start shooting pheasant over her.

Has anybody got any suggestions of how I'd get back into the swing of things, I still have my shotgun and the Gun club in Newcastle is still full up!

Closed gun clubs beaten to death on previous thread/s. Won't go into that again. Sorry to hear that you have trouble getting a club. Tried driven days ? Haven'y myself, lucky I don't have to. Option maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Closed gun clubs beaten to death on previous thread/s. Won't go into that again. Sorry to hear that you have trouble getting a club. Tried driven days ? Haven'y myself, lucky I don't have to. Option maybe ?

Why did you bother replying to it if you don't wanna get into it again. I couldn't find any posts on "closed gun clubs".

Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

As far as driven shoots go, I don't have that money to burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

pampers wrote:
    Why did you bother replying to it if you don't wanna get into it again. I couldn't find any posts on "closed gun clubs".

Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

As far as driven shoots go, I don't have that money to burn.

Just in case you've forgotten already you're question was how to get back into shooting game, well with an attitude like that you won't get very far :mad:

Sorry if my idea upsets you i won't be replying again:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

pampers wrote:

I'd suggest making a list of all the clubs in your region (all the clubs he says,because there is so many :D) and then ringing up each one to book yourself in for a day. If you find you enjoy the atmosphere and like the facilities then book yourself in for a few more days once you have spent enough time there and proved that you take shooting seriously I can't imagine you would have a problem being accepted as a member. Just showing up out of the blue and asking to join is sure to elicit a negative response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

It's a game club he is referring to, not a target/clay club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Lusk gun club are advertising in the Shooters Digest lately for members. A bit of a drive but might get you started. Generally clubs are closed until someone leaves then a spot becomes available, usually for someone reccomended by other members. Its tough for an 'outsider' to get in. Urban sprawl is a big problem as building reduces clubs lands so to the membership has to be scaled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Banjax wrote:
    It's a game club he is referring to, not a target/clay club.

Ah I see, my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

The sooner the NARGC admit there is a major problem at local level regarding membership the better..

It has to be one of the most negative aspects of our sport..:mad:

I first tried to join about 5 years ago, and when I went to the agm I was told that I had to sit in on monthly meetings for 1 year and then they may let me in....... did that, and then was told at the next agm that there still wasn't any space.
    Bearing in mind that I was approx 18 at the time, I would have thought that a club like this would want to try and introduce some "young blood".
    The funny thing is that out of god knows how many members, only a hadfull are from the local area!! The chairman, last time I checked, was scottish! The majority of members are from Tallaght and Clondalkin!
    I think it's an absolute disgrace that someone born and bred in the area can't get membership...... I bet if daddy owned lots of land they'd probably be sending me invites to join!:mad: :mad: :mad:

If its rough shooting over the dogs you want (as opposed to pigeons) join the NARGC and shoot on their land in the Dublin mountains. You can shoot 2 grouse each.

• Advertisement

Yeah! Doesn't sound like a bad plan! Always thought you had to b in a game club!
    Wouldn't mind getting som pheasant shootinig in either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

pampers wrote:
    I first tried to join about 5 years ago, and when I went to the agm I was told that I had to sit in on monthly meetings for 1 year and then they may let me in....... did that, and then was told at the next agm that there still wasn't any space.
    Bearing in mind that I was approx 18 at the time, I would have thought that a club like this would want to try and introduce some "young blood".
    The funny thing is that out of god knows how many members, only a hadfull are from the local area!! The chairman, last time I checked, was scottish! The majority of members are from Tallaght and Clondalkin!
    I think it's an absolute disgrace that someone born and bred in the area can't get membership...... I bet if daddy owned lots of land they'd probably be sending me invites to join!:mad: :mad: :mad:
    I can totally relate to your case. I have found that clubs are closed full stop. Closed to me because I am married to an English woman. Seriously they told me that no foreigners or relations of same may apply. Appalling.

We should form our own club SMERSH!
    How would one go about forming a gun club????

Try having a look on the NARGC web page, I think there is some information there.

Yes, I am up for it. I must look into the legalities of starting a club.

Setting up a club is no problem. Its the exclusive shooting rights on land where you will hit a brick wall!

That is the stumbling block.

If you are getting no cooperation from the local clubs, ask some landowners on an individual basis. They may grant you permission to hunt.

It may annoy some clubs, we've discussed that very rigourously before here, but it might be the only option open to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

As far as im aware and maybe im wrong but if you live in the area where the club is situated they are obliged to let you in .Ive been at enough AGM's now and this has come up for discussion often i hav'nt seen anyone turned away from my local club if they live in the parish .Besides most clubs have maybe 50 members upwards and only 10 actual shooters who are usually the ones doing all the work IE:Rearing birds,trapping magpies,securing land for shooting etc etc etc.So anyway maybe if your prepared to do a bit of the sloggin it would help your application with the local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

SMERSH wrote:
    I can totally relate to your case. I have found that clubs are closed full stop. Closed to me because I am married to an English woman. Seriously they told me that no foreigners or relations of same may apply. Appalling.

F@*k me thats a complete disgrace:eek: , you should've asked for that excuss in writing. These are the exact kind of scumbags that give us a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

alan123 wrote:
    If its rough shooting over the dogs you want (as opposed to pigeons) join the NARGC and shoot on their land in the Dublin mountains. You can shoot 2 grouse each.

Alan,

Do you have any more info on where the land in Dublin Mountains is - checked NARGC site but no info.

• Advertisement

Ill get back to you. NARGC have land. The season is only for the month of September and the bag limit is two per season. Ill get the location and post it before Sept.

Well lads, I think we'll just have to set up our own gun club! I'd be very much prepared to do the ground works eith some assisstance from others. Might as well give it a go and see what we can muster up. Surely if some of us got together we'd be able to find some land somewhere...............
    Anyone interested, pm me.

Cheers,

Adam.

Start a vermin club rather than a game club and you will run into fewer obstacles???

pampers wrote:
    Well lads, I think we'll just have to set up our own gun club! I'd be very much prepared to do the ground works eith some assisstance from others. Might as well give it a go and see what we can muster up. Surely if some of us got together we'd be able to find some land somewhere...............
    Anyone interested, pm me.

Cheers,

Adam.
    PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Didn't encounter any of that stuff myself. Not born here and only living in the town 4 years and a bit. Got accepted in the local club no bother.

I'm afraid you're the acception to the rule Stevie!

Well folks, there seems to be a lot of interest in this matter, and a lot of people in similar situations.
    If there are any people, in similar situations to myself, interested in trying to form a gun club, fell free to P.M. me. I would like to form a kind of "ad-hoc" committee to discuss ideas.

Cheers.

Okay folks, just a small update.

A good few people have p.m'd me with an interest in joining/forming a gun club.
    Myself and another "Sydneyreilly" are currently putting together an e-mailing list to update all interested parties.
    If you wish to be included, drop me a line.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Setting up your own gun club / range is a great idea and the best of luck to you all in your efforts. The more clubs out there with ranges / shooting grounds the better.

But remember what can happen. Look at the plight of the Leinster Rifle Club in its beginnings, who I should mention have moved on to bigger and better things. They had secured the ideal shooting gounds / range, the old army Ticknock Range in Rathfarnham only to be shout down by local and political pressure. You will have to travel away from any kind of populated area and gain the trust of the local Super and residents. If you don't succed at first, try, try again.

Again, the best of luck..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Guys I am been a member of numerous gun clubs since 16yrs of age. A few pointers in relation to joining a gun club:

1. Normally for NARGC affiliated clubs you must live in the area or have ties to that area.
    2. Most clubs only accept membership at an AGM.
    3. You will have to be nominated by an existing member who you are known to and seconded by a member
    4. Find the local club and approach the secretary or comittee member
    There is good reason why it is not very easy to join a local gun club, particulalry when you aren't known and that revolves around lads joining clubs just to get the licence for the fire arm
    4. In our area, a vote is had (secret) on your membership and you either get in or don't get in
    5. If you have any problems talk to the NARGC

Best of luck with your shooting and try again

Advertisement