Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flipping a freewheel to a fixed gear

Options
  • 18-08-2007 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Howdy,

I've just bought a bike with a flipflop hub and was just wondering what 's involved taking off the wheel and switching from one to the other and what tools would be involved in the process? I'd like to learn how to do it rather than drop it into a shop everytime.

Thanks for any help....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You'll need a 15mm spanner more than likely (sometimes its a 14mm) to loosen the wheel nuts and remove the wheel. Then flip it around and slide it back into the dropouts and put the chain back on the cog.
    You might find the chain length/tension different if your freewheel and fixed cog are different sizes (freehweel 16 tooth and fixed cog 18 tooth etc...). Once the differene in length doesnt make the chain too short to fit on or too lond to get any tension then you should have no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

What he said...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Yup, I did this before with my specialized with the rear facing dropouts, only problem i had was putting it back on and ensuring the wheel was dead centred. just take your time, and spin the wheel around to make sure its straight after you flip it over and tighten up the axle nuts..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's very straightforward, just make sure the wheel is straight and your chain isn't too tight/loose.

Detailed instructions here:
    http://www.63xc.com/willm/wheelset.htm

It'd be alot easier if you had the axle changed to a quick release too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

There's no way I'd be confident to trust a quick release on a fixed gear to be honest. If your strapped/clipped with all the pressure exerted on the axle from cranking forward and applying pressure to slow down/stop/skid wheels have been known to move in the dropouts with regular wheel nuts. I'd say quick release wouldn't be strong enough to take all that pressure without either breaking or the wheel moving.

Correct me if I'm wrong if anyone has ever used a quick release on a fixed hub before?

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

A quick release would probably be OK if used in track-ends with a couple of chain-tugs. I wouldn't use one in horizontal dropouts due to the risk of the wheel slipping out.

I have a friend who uses a quick release on his fixie... but his wheel did come out at a set of traffic lights once actually. Oops.

Advertisement