Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Breastfeeing in dublin

Options
  • 18-08-2007 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I noticed a while ago that the food court in Steven's Green SC has a feeding area that is nice and private for discreet breatfeeding.

Now don't get me wrong, under no circumstances am I saying that mothers should have to use special areas to feed, but being new to all this and still a little shy about it.....still getting the hang of getting started without flashing m bits to the world :D

What do you think of feeding in public? And do you know of any other good places out and about that would be good to feed if your feeling a little shy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

my friend who was quite shy when she began breast feeding ,where possible while we were out used to go back to her car and hang a towel on the window and feed in the car...she felt comfortable and everyone was happy..

i think once you settle into feeding you will be discreet enough to get away with feeding anywhere without exposing yourself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Most shopping centres have a baby feeding room which is seperate from the changing room.
    All mothercare shops have a room also and a good big supportive chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Make sure you have a comfortable seat where you can rest your elbows. I used to pick a seat in a corner or by a wall rather than the middle of the room so that I didn't have to worry about people seeing from all angles. People tend not to notice, though, and assume you're just snuggling the baby or that he/she's asleep.

Before my son was born, I thought I'd only ever feed in private but he used to take ages and I would have died of boredom/claustrophobia if I'd done that.

Good luck anyways! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Breastfeeding is a perfectly natural and acceptable behaviour.*

I've seen breastfeeding on the bus (with blanket for discretion), in the front window of Eddie Rockets and in the middle of Grafton Street (with no discretion at all - the baby was even finished) and in a few restaurants. I think I even saw a topless German woman in a park in Germany breastfeeding. My sister and her friend have breastfed in front of me. **

The only one I had a problem adjusting to was the Grafton Street one. And I think it is a matter of adjusting - I don't think anyone has serious problems with it.

* It even keeps the occassional little monster quiet ;) ** I don't stalk breastfeeders. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just as long as you know when to stop breastfeeding your baby.

My cousin was over once and her kid was walking and talking and then wanted to be fed, I had to leave the room, the kid was too old. (However I may have been very hasty in leaving the room. Embarressing for everyone IMO). Funny all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Elmo wrote:
    Just as long as you know when to stop breastfeeding your baby.

QUOTE]

uh oh...
    //ducks and waits for the backlash//

Elmo, a lot of people believe in baby led weaning i.e stopping feeding when the baby/ child wants to stop whether that be 6 months or 6 years and there's nothing wrong with that. Mine stopped at 7 months and I was more than happy to comply but a friend of mine was still feeding her 2 1/2 year old when her second baby was born and you know what, it was a lovely sight seeing the three of them all snuggled up together :) . I've known mothers to continue feeding up until 4 years.
    I suspect you'll hear harsher words than mine for telling mothers they should "know when to stop breastfeeding their baby" because it makes some men feel uncomfortable :rolleyes:
    Did it actually do you any harm to see your cousin feed her child? I suspect not, and the child benefitted greatly from it. Do you see where the problem might lie here?

Back to the OP.
    Shelli, keep up the good work. I was awfully shy about breastfeeding in public and tended to go back to the car if I wasn't somewhere with a changing/ feeding room. Mothercare and Boots were always nice and clean and discreet but shopping centre changing/ feeding rooms varied wildly and some were just yuck. A big blanket helps to hide everything and keep it all very discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

//ducks and waits for the backlash//

I do feel that for a child it is important for them to know when its time to stop being a baby and I personally feel that all mothers should breastfeed (where ever and whenever).

It's also good for a child to get used to normal food, their immune system has to learn function on its own. It is psychologically good for children to breastfeed and to see their mother breastfeeding so that they don't have hang ups about breastfeeding.

Children should not be breastfeeding when they are at school age. I don't care if you or anyone else dissagrees with me thats my opinion, your entitled to yours just as I am entitle to mine.

I don't mind if there is a backlash, wouldn't have posted if I didn't have an opinion on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

I second that Elmo!

I moved to the US about ten years ago and shortly afterwards had our son. I breastfed him for about nine months and then he became disinterested.

It's really nice to see that there's now areas for breastfeeding mothers. Once I became comfortable with the whole process, I had no problem discreetly feeding in public areas.

The only uncomfortable moment I remember was having to haul my breast pump with me on a business trip. I had to pump in a quiet corner of the airport with my huge coat over me. Even then some weirdo kept trying to sneak a peak.... the horror!

As for the cutoff age, generally if you're old enough to ask for it clearly....

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Elmo wrote:
    It's also good for a child to get used to normal food, their immune system has to learn function on its own.
    My wife still breastfeeds our 17 month old daughter. She eats very well, fruit, vegtables, chicken, fish. There is very little she won't eat. I don't see how breastfeeding has an impact on eating "normal food". Maybe I am missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Shelli wrote:
    I noticed a while ago that the food court in Steven's Green SC has a feeding area that is nice and private for discreet breatfeeding.
    Two actually, there's one on the top floor and one in Mothercare on the ground floor.
    Kernel32 wrote:
    My wife still breastfeeds our 17 month old daughter. She eats very well, fruit, vegtables, chicken, fish. There is very little she won't eat. I don't see how breastfeeding has an impact on eating "normal food". Maybe I am missing something.
    Nope, not missing anything. Still another 7 months to go before the WHO guideline for the minimum age for weaning off entirely, though I don't think it's worth worrying about if a child weans itself of earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EcoGirl

The best advice I got was to practise feeding at home in front of a mirror, so you could see and adjust it all until you were doing it discreetly.

Also, I know it's not in our culture, but truly humans were designed to be breast-fed for appx 4 years. We're just not used to it and it does look mad, until you get used to seeing it. Then you don't even notice.

Children's immune system isn't fully developed until about 4 years (and eating table food won't help it develop), which is one reason for b/f that long. The amazing thing is that the process is so well designed that the concentration of antibodies increases as time passes, to make up for the fact that the volume taken by the child goes down. Magic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

I've always hoped though that you can pump in to a bottle and carry that around with you when you're going out? Or are the baby's demands too spontaneous for that? We were bottle fed, as were all babies in our family, so there aren't many people I can ask :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've always hoped though that you can pump in to a bottle and carry that around with you when you're going out? Or are the baby's demands too spontaneous for that? We were bottle fed, as were all babies in our family, so there aren't many people I can ask :o

That works for some but others find pumping very difficult and time consuming. Also some breastfed babies won't drink from a bottle. Mine wouldn't... he was 5 months (and on solids) before I could leave him for any longer than an hour! I remember that day very fondly.... I got a haircut, then a coffee and read the paper in silent bliss. Sad eh? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

templetonpeck, it is possible of course, but to be honest you'd be giving yourself more work than necessary.

I take it you are expecting? If so you can contact La Leche League (B/feeding information & support group) and they will give you the name of a leader near you; you can go along to a few meetings before your baby arrives. Everyone there is a mom just like you, some will be more experienced some less. You will most likely see lots of babies being fed from newborns to toddlers. It's a great way to make new friends as well.

There's some other good boards out there also - rollercoaster.ie has a good thread on b/feeding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

We as a country cannt afford to be prudish about bfeeding. People who have concerns about breastfeeding in public really need to be pulled up about it, especially if they consider themselves liberal in other areas. The health benefits of breatfeeding are too important and we still have one of the poorest rates in Europe, to our shame. Its not as straightforward as many think, it can be painful and can be a real sentence if you not good at expressing!
    There needs to be more open support for women who are trying to the right thing by their child. It also makes good economic sense for some restuarants to make it easier/more comfortable for mothers. I know there used to be a great cafe in Blackrock shopping centre that had a bf friendly policy. Was always jammed!
    I also agree with Kildrought, la Leche was a godsend as too Rollercoaster.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

tuppence wrote:
    The health benefits of breatfeeding are too important and we still have one of the poorest rates in Europe, to our shame.

That's why I'd like to do it. I don't want to compromise the health of a baby because of my own silliness. Whatever way of doing it, is the way it'll have to go, but I was hoping for an easier option!!

Kildrought I ain't expecting I'm hopin to be soon though!! ;) I just thought I'd take a peek in here out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

I pumped for six months but only because I had to go back to work. It's SUCH a pain to pump that really you only want to be doing it when you absolutely have to.

Also if breastfeeding is painful for you, then the baby probably isn't latched on properly. I definitely would go to La Leche for help.

As for the time to cut off breastfeeding, I was really referring to the age of four and above. I don't think there's anything wrong with toddlers breastfeeding. I once saw a woman at the zoo breastfeeding a four or five year old and he was sitting on her lap with his feet touching the ground!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EcoGirl

You probably could, but why would you? Time-consuming for no reason. Like, I dunno, making sure to puree your own food before eating it - it's possible but pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I've always hoped though that you can pump in to a bottle and carry that around with you when you're going out? Or are the baby's demands too spontaneous for that?
    It can work.

It has some of the down-sides of bottle feeding (storage, risk of running out, lack of control from the baby as to the fat/water balance) and it can be hard to combine with direct breastfeeding (even with the teats that simulate natural feeding, it's not quite the same). However, it also has some advantages also, so it's certainly worth considering.

Ultimately, because so much of successful breastfeeding is psychological the last thing anyone needs is to get too stressed about it, and if you personally find EBM less stressful than direct feeding then go for that's miles better in a very important way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

What do you think of feeding in public? And do you know of any other good places out and about that would be good to feed if your feeling a little shy?

it's to be encouraged and its natural. this whole wrap them up mentality is rubbish. you have two boobs for reason: TO FEED HUNGRY SPROGS !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Shelli wrote:
    Hi all,

Now don't get me wrong, under no circumstances am I saying that mothers should have to use special areas to feed, but being new to all this and still a little shy about it.....still getting the hang of getting started without flashing m bits to the world :D

Feeding number 3 still at almost 11 months - don't do it too much in public any more - but that is mainly due to the fact that my little madam is way too nosey and liable to pop off the boob for a good look around and I'm not overly fond of sitting there with my boob on view for all and sundry;) . But when she was still in her blob phase I fed her pretty much anywhere - cinema, coffee shops, church(!) and it could all be done discetely - one of my fave places in Dublin is in Starbucks - v comfy chairs and really nice servers.

ArthurDent wrote:
    cinema
    Actually, I've not been there, but the IFI cinema run a parent and baby morning once a week. Crying permitted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Victor wrote:
    Actually, I've not been there, but the IFI cinema run a parent and baby morning once a week. Crying permitted.
    Yep, I totally forgot. Theres a thing called the Reel Cinema for parents and infants. I went a couple of times to the one in the Ormonde in Stillorgan. There are a few others that do it, eg greystones I think used to. Bit surreal with all the little heads bobbing up and down in the dark and crying but great. Great way of meeting people, and just lovely to feel you are getting out of house. The films may not have been your own choice but sure I know I would have happily looked at a test card just to feel human again.
    Oh yes there is a bit of descent/hill in the threatre so you need good brakes on your buggy.
    :eek:

Victor wrote:

Unfortunately
    Unfortunately we are no longer running these screenings but they may return at some point in the future. Keep an eye on our programme and our website to be up to date on upcoming events.

Kind Regards

IFI Box Office

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

Hi! just new in this post.
    I am 8 months pregnant and I have great hopes that I can breastfeed. I have been told that it is better to breastfeed directly when possible, and leave pumped milk just for the father or certain situations.
    However, I never see anyone breastfeeding in public. It is shocking how it is so encouraged and then it does not seem to be done in public.
    I might be silly, and maybe I may change once my baby is hungry and I have to feed him in public, but now I feel people are going to look at me bizarre if I do it in public.
    I have bought some tops that allow very discreet breastfeeding, but I am still concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Elen wrote:
    Hi! just new in this post.
    I am 8 months pregnant and I have great hopes that I can breastfeed. I have been told that it is better to breastfeed directly when possible, and leave pumped milk just for the father or certain situations.
    However, I never see anyone breastfeeding in public. It is shocking how it is so encouraged and then it does not seem to be done in public.
    I might be silly, and maybe I may change once my baby is hungry and I have to feed him in public, but now I feel people are going to look at me bizarre if I do it in public.
    I have bought some tops that allow very discreet breastfeeding, but I am still concern
    You probably HAVE seen people breasfeed but you just haven't noticed that they were feeding their babies IYKWIM ;) . I know I've managed to feed babs all over the place without people noticing (I even once fed her when being interviewed on TV - I was a bit worried about it, but my dad watched it and he didn't notice - he thoughts I was just cuddling her while she was sleeping!)
    Now that she's older and way too nosy I don't feed her in public - really don't fancy flashing my boobs when madam decides to pop off to look around:) , but when she was under 6 months it was just grand - never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Yes it is possible to do it discretly. Just practice in front of a mirror you really cant tell. I remember feeding my daughter in McDonalds and a friend of mine saw me and came over had a long chat with me and when he was going bent over to say goodbye to the baby and nearly died of shock when he realized I was breast feeding. He swore he couldnt tell. We still laugh about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

really don't fancy flashing my boobs
    My last baby had a habit of taking hold of my top in his hand, which wasn't a problem till he got the stage of waving his arms while feeding! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I absolutely agree - I fed my DD everywhere we went and never got a look. I was surprised, actually, b/c I expected some negative vibes, but either no one noticed or no one cared.

But my DD's curiosity and "arm-waving" tendencies did become a force to be reckoned with around month 6. As it turned out, though, she started eating solids at the same time, so it never really became an issue.

• Advertisement

My god-daughter was a confused child. :) At least twice, I found a wet patch on my t-shirt when she fell asleep in my arms, where she had been gently sucking assuming she was in my sister's arms. I'm male.

Advertisement