Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any rush?

Options
  • 18-08-2007 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Recently got first car, and first provisional licence. Been driving around alot since I got it (about 2-3 weeks ago, maybe less) and picking up very quickly. Drive every day to and from work (full licence parent drives the car home, etc..)

I have no intention of applying for my test soon, so was wondering what peoples opinions are on waiting to get lessons say maybe into the new year?

tbh I am very comfortable in the car, and eveyday I get better and better, at this stage, no point getting lessons, maybe a few pre tests before I actually apply for my full test next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You'll probably learn as much in the first six weeks as in the next six months, as in the next six years, etc.

But why put it off? The test can only get more difficult/expensive compared to what it is now, and your insurance won't get any cheaper until you get a full licence, regardless of time on the road/free of claims.

And you could end up like this! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

get lessons asap, you might think your doing things right, but you might not be, and isn't it better to have good habits drilled into you now, rather than having bad habits beaten out of you after christmas??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have no intention of applying for my test soon
    Why? Are you aware that there are long waiting lists?
    what peoples opinions are on waiting to get lessons say maybe into the new year?
    It is much better to get lessons as soon as possible.
    I am very comfortable in the car, and eveyday I get better and better
    In your opinion! Perhaps you are not as good as you think you are. Complacency is a common problem among new learner drivers. I've been driving for 20 years and have a full, clean and unrestricted licence in all 14 categories but I don't think I'm a good driver. I'd say I'm average. I could be killed or kill someone else tomorrow. Every day is a new experience.
    before I actually apply for my full test next year?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

The waiting times are quite crazy so you should get your application in ASAP. And start taking lessons. Because even if you can operate a car safely, chances are, your driving is not up to driving test standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

See here http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html
    for official wating times

In Dundalk, it's 47 weeks, Navan 59. And in my experience, those official times are very conservative. It wouldn't surprise me if you booked a test and waited a year and a half for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Recently got first car, and first provisional licence. Been driving around alot since I got it (about 2-3 weeks ago, maybe less) and picking up very quickly. Drive every day to and from work (full licence parent drives the car home, etc..)

I have no intention of applying for my test soon, so was wondering what peoples opinions are on waiting to get lessons say maybe into the new year?

tbh I am very comfortable in the car, and eveyday I get better and better, at this stage, no point getting lessons, maybe a few pre tests before I actually apply for my full test next year?
    You sound far too over confident for someone who has been driving for 2-3 weeks IG and the longer you put off 'professional' training the more bad habits you will develop.
    The sooner you pass your test then the sooner you can legally drive on your own. Furthermore, your insurance will decrease once you have a pink licence!
    SeanW wrote:
    See here http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html
    for official wating times

In Dundalk, it's 47 weeks, Navan 59. And in my experience, those official times are very conservative. It wouldn't surprise me if you booked a test and waited a year and a half for it.
    See the bottom of the pass rates page:
    Pass rate percentage for year ending 31 December 2005.
    **Longest weeks waiting on 13th November 2006. Waiting times are approximated and indicative only.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Its definitely worth applying for your test asap and getting lessons. I turned 17 last month, got my provisional and the first thing I did was book four lessons. After that my instructor said I was a fine driver and also suggested applying for my test quickly, before I picked up bad habits and also to get it out of the way.

I've now been driving a few weeks and building up my confidence everytime I get behind the wheel. I applied for my full test the day before yesterday and now can't wait to get my full license. I have a lot of practicing to do before then.

I'm going to see if I can get a letter sent in from work to say that I need my test quickly.......I'm going to Australia for a month in December to visit my sister over there. The whole family is going and I would love the opportunity to be able to drive over there.

If I managed to get a letter sent in, do any of you think I could sit my test before December 11th?? I applied for my test in Wicklow. :)

If I managed to get a letter sent in, do any of you think I could sit my test before December 11th?? I applied for my test in Wicklow. :)
    Half the country are sending employer's letters so it's not as effective as it once was. Tell them that you are willing to be tested at very short notice and they may assign you a late cancellation slot. Include a mobile telephone number if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Will get a few lessons next week, no more than 5.

Driving myself everywhere at this stage, and was in Italy last 4 days and was fine when I got back, which I was worried without practice I would suck for a day or two. Maybe the holiday just relaxed me more, which will help with the improvements.

Will get a few lessons next week, no more than 5.

Driving myself everywhere at this stage, and was in Italy last 4 days and was fine when I got back, which I was worried without practice I would suck for a day or two. Maybe the holiday just relaxed me more, which will help with the improvements.
    Have you still "no intentions of applying for my test"?

• Advertisement

Full licence=cheaper insurance.
    Why on earth would you put that off? Do you have money to burn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You sound really, really arrogant and full of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You come across as one of the cocky little gob$hites that end up being a statistic or cause someone else to become one because they think they're incredible drivers after a month where they can get the car around the place without stalling. You're nowhere near as good as you think are, and probably never will be.

Get some proper lessons and apply for your test. What reason is there for not applying?

Nala wrote:
    You sound really, really arrogant and full of yourself.
    You come across as one of the cocky little gob$hites
    Steady on folks - no need to get personal!

Advertisement