Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first year arts - question

• 18-08-2007 9:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking through the arts course on the ucd website last night and I was wondering something..

when picking subjects from the different groups, is there a max limit of credits you can take in any one subject?

Philosophy stage 1 has six options, each one worth 5 credits. Am I able to do all six? and then do whatever else with the other 30 credits.

actually, on the subject of those other 30 credits.. could I just pick six random credits from different subjects altogether? because I was looking at a few of the courses in linguistics, information studies and politics and while I wouldn't be interested really in most of what's offered there.. the idea of spreading 30 credits around was pretty appealing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Mordeth wrote:
    I was looking through the arts course on the ucd website last night and I was wondering something..

when picking subjects from the different groups, is there a max limit of credits you can take in any one subject?

Philosophy stage 1 has six options, each one worth 5 credits. Am I able to do all six? and then do whatever else with the other 30 credits.

actually, on the subject of those other 30 credits.. could I just pick six random credits from different subjects altogether? because I was looking at a few of the courses in linguistics, information studies and politics and while I wouldn't be interested really in most of what's offered there.. the idea of spreading 30 credits around was pretty appealing.

http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/course_search.html Then select Arts, Humanities and Social Science, then Arts Omnibus.
    That page should answer your questions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's where I was when I came up with the question...

honestly, I framed the question so a simple yes/no/maybe answer would be all that's required.

alright, found the answer

the max number I can take is 20..... cockless bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

yeah 20 credits is the max you can take in any subject in 1st year Arts

the system can be a bit confusing, but in simple terms, in Arts you have to choose......

2 Major subjects of 20 credits each and then you have differing options to make up your remaining 20 credits

you can then choose to make up your final 20 credits in these ways....

1) another Major subject of 20 credits (i.e. 4 modules from a subject is a Major)
    or
    2) 2 Minor subjects of 10 credits each (i.e. 2 modules from a subject is a Minor)
    or
    3) 1 Minor subject of 10 credits and 2 elective modules of 5 credits each from any faculty in UCD (you can choose 2 modules from Law, Science, Commerce or Arts etc., but places for electives are limited and subject to your timetable constraints)

my advice is to research all the subjects available to you in Arts and choose at least 2 subjects you want to take and are comfortable with for studying your degree because come 2nd and 3rd year your options are effectively narrowed down to studying 2 subjects for your degree. for 2nd and 3rd year you can only study the subjects you took in 1st year that were a Major or a Minor.

on your question about taking all 6 1st year Philosophy modules - I don't know if there is a limit on the amount of modules you are allowed take in a 1st year Arts subject so there could be a slight possibilty you could use your 2 elective modules to study all 6 modules on top of the other 4 Philosophy modules. You should ring the programme office and ask them about that but i can't guarantee anything because i know in 2nd year Arts if you are a joint major student (which accounts for 25 credits) you can't use your electives to do more than 30 credits in that subject so there may be a similar rule for 1st year Arts. Most subjects in 1st year Arts only have 4 options of modules so 1st year Philosophy is a different scenario to most other subjects

Advertisement