Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you drink with your dinner?

• 18-08-2007 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

What do you normally drink with your dinner and why? I usually drink water, but when I eat meat I prefer fruit juice, as it's full of Vitamin C which helps to absorb iron from meat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Wine for me.
    Occasionally with a glass of water on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

milk ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The-Rigger wrote:
    milk ftw
    QFT.

Or beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In a restaurant, wine or beer usually. At home, usually nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Sparkling water usually at home.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Water, juice or tea usually during the week. Wine at the weekend, though occasionally during the week too if it's been that kind of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Cherry Juice or Water.

Thanks to all the new Eastern European shops my craving for all things cherry can be sated.

If it is cherry drinks that you're after - have you ever tried Krumme? It is a german cherry liqueur.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

washiskin wrote:
    Cherry Juice or Water.

Thanks to all the new Eastern European shops my craving for all things cherry can be sated.
    cherry juice you say? i must go hunt down such a delightful drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

There are several brands but I think the Tymbark one is the best.

And now I'm wondering where to get this Krumme......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Beer with spicy food
    Red wine with most everything else
    White wine if the meal needs wine added during cooking
    Iced tea when my liver says enough
    Water in the mornings and with lunch at work

washiskin wrote:
    And now I'm wondering where to get this Krumme......
    washiskin:
    It is a speciality of Dϋsseldorf. The Krumme website (in German). Krumme Sauerkirsch is the one you want.
    You can buy it online - not sure if that is legal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

at home i would drink robinsons orange but if i`m out for a meal its red wine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Water during the week
    Beer on a Friday
    Wine (white) with meal on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

water
    d.coke
    white wine (sweet - medium)
    cocktails (if I've been good :))

beer with pizza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Beer with spicy food definitely. Coke Zero a lot of the time (I'm drinking far too much of it, mainly because I'm trying to drink less beer and frankly the water in my area is rubbish). Red wine with robust food - but I'd rather a jug of water on the table as well. I almost never drink white wine.

I have this weird thing about the presentation of drinks wtih food - at the moment I'm hanging out for a terracotta jug, spanish sangria style, and a bunch of terracotta mugs - the straight up and down versions with no handle, glazed on the inside only. It may sound odd, but if you put said jug in the fridge for an hour before decanting something into it, it makes an excellent receptacle at the table. It's fantastic for real ale and for cloudy cider - especially stuff like Fuller's Honeydew beer.

I should probably start a different thread about this, but I get a two-stroke buzz from food - one from the flavours, and one from the ambience, which is tied into where I'm eating, the utensils and plates I'm using, how it's been presented etc. One of the best meals I've had in a living age involved fresh, rustic italian bread, parma ham, olive oil, chargrilled artichokes, sundried tomatoes, blue cheese, anchovies and the aforementioned terracotta jug of cloudy cider. It was a very hot day and the jug kept the drink very cool.

What can I say, it lit my bulbs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I rarely have water with food, unless the food is intolerably hot.

Often, I'll have nothing - drinks dilute gastric juices and inhibit proper digestion, don't you know.

At dinner (or lunch, if out), I'll go all euro and drink red or white vin. I keep it Irish, though, by upping the quantity to a dubious level.

lola_run wrote:
    What do you normally drink with your dinner and why? I usually drink water, but when I eat meat I prefer fruit juice, as it's full of Vitamin C which helps to absorb iron from meat.
    rediguana wrote:
    I rarely have water with food, unless the food is intolerably hot.

Often, I'll have nothing - drinks dilute gastric juices and inhibit proper digestion, don't you know.

I am intrigued by the beliefs people have about their food and how it should be eaten and cooked - where do these beliefs come from?

The two statements above apparently contradict each other - can they both be true ?

It is a bit like the American study that was done in the fifties - the results of which are commonly practiced - an adult requires 2 litres of water a day to remain healthy.

Lost in time is the remainder of the result which stated that the two litres of water is ingested in the food that an adult would consume in three meals a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Minder, they don't contradict each other.

The first point really just says that not being deficient in Vitamin C aids the absorbtion of iron into the body systems. The second point, mine, states that diluting stomach acids will reduce their efficacy.

Superficially, they appear related, but in fact are not.

Superficially, they don't appear related, but as the Vitamin C is delivered in a juice it will dilute the stomach acid (your point) and decrease their efficiency (again - your point)

The vitamin C is not simply absorbed through the lining of the gut, the molecules must be first released from the food by digestion - if that process is less efficient, it contradicts the first point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I dont drink when eating either as I was always told that drinking while eating encourages you to not chew your food properly thus you make extra work for your stomach, increase the likelyhood of choking on it, and dont fully appreciate the flavour if its all wolfed down.

Now that i'm older, the main reason is that to be honest drinking spoils the food flavours for me

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Uisce, uisce and more uisce. Loads of it. Even if I'm having wine I have to have a glass of water also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Water, usually

washiskin wrote:
    There are several brands but I think the Tymbark one is the best.

After reading this post I got an urge to taste this cherry juice.

It's absolutely gorgeous.

It tastes more like the dark cherries you get in a Black Forest Gateaux than the 'classic' cherry taste. It took me ages to find it, the local Tesco (Clare Hall 24 Hour) doesn't stock it, the other shop near me (Fresh) don't stock it either (they do do a Tymbark Apple Mint, which I imagine is cack).

There is a Polish shop right beside the 27 Bus Terminus on Talbot Street in Dublin, which is where I picked it up.

I should have got two cartons:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Water or some variety of fruit juice normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

water for me, sometimes a glass of wine too
    is this cherry juice a dilutable cordial thingy? or does it come in a carton (like apple juice)? sounds lovely...

catspring wrote:
    is this cherry juice a dilutable cordial thingy? or does it come in a carton (like apple juice)?
    It comes in a carton (like apple juice).
    catspring wrote:
    sounds lovely...
    It is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

once in a while my own homebrewed Hefeweizen

But it’s nearly gone now

Picture33.jpg

oblivious wrote:
    once in a while my own homebrewed Hefeweizen

But it’s nearly gone now

Picture33.jpg

If that tastes anyway near as good as it looks, I am sure it is excellent.

How do you make it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi Minder

If you’re interested, follow this link over to Irish craft brewers

Advertisement