Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Day in the Life of a Moderator

Options
  • 18-08-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

I was always curious about what a moderator on boards.ie does on a day to day basis. Do ye have a specific workload that has to be done or what?

You can think of it as an episode of THIS IS YOUR LIFE:D .
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

We begin the day by checking the previous nights reported posts on our respective forums.
    We then deal with the reported posts.
    Then we do some coke and get head from a hooker.
    Then back to boards to oppress people. Remember, we are high on coke at this stage, so we are extremely arrogant.
    We continue to oppress people until the coke has worn off. Then we do some more and the circle continues.

Or we just do everything on a voluntary basis when we have the time to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Clock in, nuke Mythology spambots, hookers and coke, food, more hookers and coke, IP checks, 3am nap when the backup takes place before being woken up again by Cloud's steel toe boot for the next shift. :(

I look after the boards listed over there <--- with other co-mods along with my smod duties (nuking naughty users, helping out on the site as a whole, receive/deal out abuse, whatever else my masters want, clean out the admin's private jet from top to bottom which is not a pretty sight after DeV comes back from Vegas!).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No work required. You just get to look clever with your Moderator badge and post pictures of owls on Feedback threads.

Although seriously:
    Respond to reported posts.
    Depending on how busy the forum is, either read through all the new posts(LGB) or else rely on reported posts(FAP).
    Check the moderation queue for unregged posts.
    Petition the admins for a side order of ketamine and rent boys to go with the coke and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

which mod has to feed all the cats ? or is that an admin job.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

3 people on coke and hookers. Hmmmm..... Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

Have ye ever had to report a user to the gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

JSK 252 wrote:
    Have ye ever had to report a user to the gardai?
    Yes.

This is less interesting than it may sound.

Talliesin wrote:
    Yes.

This is less interesting than it may sound.

Why and for what?

Being naughty.

When the cops are looking at something you can't talk about it in public.

If the guy isn't charged you can't talk about it in public.

If the guy is found innocent you can't talk about it in public.

If the guy is found guilty, but the last you heard about it was during one of the above, you can't talk about it in public.

Not actually that interesting though.

Ever call the cops on someone? Probably wasn't that interesting either.

Talliesin wrote:
    Being naughty.

When the cops are looking at something you can't talk about it in public.

If the guy isn't charged you can't talk about it in public.

If the guy is found innocent you can't talk about it in public.

If the guy is found guilty, but the last you heard about it was during one of the above, you can't talk about it in public.

Not actually that interesting though.

Ever call the cops on someone? Probably wasn't that interesting either.

Surely there was 101 people who did the same offence and therefore it would not single out any 1 individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

JSK 252 wrote:
    Surely there was 101 people who did the same offence and therefore it would not single out any 1 individual?
    Surprisingly few people take cocaine while receiving oral sex from a prostitute and using their computer to alter text posted to an online forum by other people. You couldn't mention a thing like that, lest someone be identified by a process of elimination.

• Advertisement

Actually, now I think of it, the one matter I was involved that went as far as the cops wasn't on boards. It was just there in my memory under the general category of "things that have happened with people on the interwebs". It was actually an email list.

On boards I've never had to go further than letting someone know I know their name and address so that I really could tell the cops about them (people doing stupid things on the Internet tend to think they are anonymous when of course they aren't - we can only sometimes work out who they are but if the Gardai put their mind to it they always could).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I don't have any real power in real life, so I like to think that banning people makes them real angry and I just hug myself to sleep. *click*, ban, *sigh*. Repeat until you feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

9am - Wake up, scream with horror at the memory of a supermoderator forcing his tongue into your mouth
    9:30am - cry in shower
    10:00am - this is all bull**** so far as I am alway asleep at these outlandish hours.
    18:00 - check reported posts
    18:01 - read feedback
    18:03 - Masterbate
    18:04 - Feel guilty
    18:20 - Ban someone in order to get rid of guilty feelings, the more righteously innocent the poster, the better the feeling MORE THAN A FEELING!
    19:40 - Snort coke
    20:00 - Hookers arrive
    00:45 - Hooker die due to exploded vaginas
    01:10 - amp sentenced to death due to outraGEOUSLY LARGE COCK!

So that's my day, FUN NO?!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I get fuelled up on vodka first before going for the hoke and cookers... hic!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ban/jerk off, good combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sparks wrote:
    Surprisingly few people take cocaine while receiving oral sex from a prostitute and using their computer to alter text posted to an online forum by other people.

I can see you're new here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They banned me from the coke and hookers after what I did with the coathanger last time. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Well Karl, even us abusive, power hungry, drugged up, no lifer mods have standards!!

I just had to kill a lot of people...

With their own shoes?

• Advertisement

No, with an axe in the face.

Ah. Pity.

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Completely off topic, but I can't open any thread with more than one page.
    I would have put this in the datastore errors thread (because that's what's happening), but it's over one page.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aye, same thing's happening to me at the moment. I can open all but the last page in those threads.

Terry wrote:
    Completely off topic, but I can't open any thread with more than one page.
    I would have put this in the datastore errors thread (because that's what's happening), but it's over one page.

A few Ctrl + F5's clears it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

what does ctrl + F5 do? I know F5 refreshes. is ctrl + F5 a super refresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yes, actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The Bollox wrote:
    what does ctrl + F5 do? I know F5 refreshes. is ctrl + F5 a super refresh?

or more specifically clears your browsers cache of that page / site. right thats my token mod helpfullness for the week back to oppressing all the normies :)

• Advertisement

It also sends the appropriate headers to request proxy caches to no use the cached version if they have one.

Advertisement