Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Day in the Life of a Moderator

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Talliesin wrote:
    It also sends the appropriate headers to request proxy caches to no use the cached version if they have one.

you just had to go one better than me didnt you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've just learned something good on a thread that had no right to be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

RuggieBear wrote:
    i've just learned something good on a thread that had no right to be useful.

Likewise. This place has gone to s**t

agreed there hasn't been a "boards mods are evil dictators" type thread in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

*hugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Is it normal for a moderator to be banned from a forum? Can a moderator be banned from their own forum?

a moderator cant be banned from their own forum and yes many a mod has been on the recieving end of a good hard smack of the ban stick.

dont forget mods are just normal users outside of the forums they mod and they've to adhere to the same boards rules as everyone else (including any forums they mod)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

JSK 252 wrote:
    Is it normal for a moderator to be banned from a forum? Can a moderator be banned from their own forum?

It has happened not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ruu wrote:
    It has happened not too long ago.

Go on. Go on. Cough out the name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ok, the name you are looking for is
    made ya look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Once again a simple question is answered with coke and hookers style gibberish, do you moderators think you are above answering a simple question simply ? small c0ck syndrome comes to mind, but far be it for me to question the size, ill leave that up to your ma's to answer.....

ps.Stark was the only one to give a semi-comprehensive answer.....so he must be the biggest..................

pps.........no, he let himself down on the last line, sad......

time to snap the whip admins,dont want the inmates running the institution !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

oleras wrote:
    Once again a simple question is answered with coke and hookers style gibberish
    How hard is it for people to understand the term "voluntary"? Should such people be treated to proper answers?
    do you moderators think you are above answering a simple question simply ?
    Only when it has been answered many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, oh dear God so many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

oleras wrote:
    but far be it for me to question the size, ill leave that up to your ma's to answer.....
    You mean......we are half brothers?

muffler wrote:
    You mean......we are half brothers?

and you came to that conclusion by ???

since you quoated me, does not make sense............

If you are speaking for the hive, Ma was plural.......

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Adverts Moderating is a bit different to regular moderating, plus everyone has a different style anyway. That said...

I always have a gmail window open for reported posts/adverts, though I very rarely get reported posts on boards.ie itself anymore.

I personally only deal with a few reported adverts a day, most of the section amods get to them before I do. I concern myself mainly with performing adverts bans for the section mods, recruting new moderators, revising the adverts rules (making sure they're up to date, relevant, clear and fair, etc), dealing with issues raised in the adverts support forum (why a user was banned, various technical issues, clarification of certain rules).

I also would mediate in the very rare situation that a user would feel they are getting a raw deal from one amoderator (I have only had this situation occur once or twice).

For the likes of Digital Art / Design, the regular users don't need any moderation, they're all level headed and well organised; I just make sure the place is clear of spam and sticky threads they want stickied or update/merge threads for them.

CuLT wrote:
    Adverts Moderating is a bit different to regular moderating, plus everyone has a different style anyway. That said...

I always have a gmail window open for reported posts/adverts, though I very rarely get reported posts on boards.ie itself anymore.

I personally only deal with a few reported adverts a day, most of the section amods get to them before I do. I concern myself mainly with performing adverts bans for the section mods, recruting new moderators, revising the adverts rules (making sure they're up to date, relevant, clear and fair, etc), dealing with issues raised in the adverts support forum (why a user was banned, various technical issues, clarification of certain rules).

I also would mediate in the very rare situation that a user would feel they are getting a raw deal from one amoderator (I have only had this situation occur once or twice).

For the likes of Digital Art / Design, the regular users don't need any moderation, they're all level headed and well organised; I just make sure the place is clear of spam and sticky threads they want stickied or update/merge threads for them.

Great answer CuLT.............im sure that answered the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

a moderator cant be banned from their own forum

I'm pretty sure WWM has banned someone from their own forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you get a cat ban...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

miju wrote:
    a moderator cant be banned from their own forum

WRONG!

I discovered this one drunken night when myself and my fellow TCD mod were arguing over whether I could ban him. Turns out I could ban him from the TCD board by banning him from the EDU category.

Hilarity ensued ;)

Thats not the only time you banned someone for little provocation! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

&#231 wrote: »
    WRONG!

I discovered this one drunken night when myself and my fellow TCD mod were arguing over whether I could ban him. Turns out I could ban him from the TCD board by banning him from the EDU category.

Hilarity ensued ;)

This is gonna add fuel to the fight da powah threads.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

From my point of view, each day I am a normal user of the forums I moderate unless there is a need to do some moderator stuff, a lot of which involves deleting crap, merging and moving stuff, and telling people to calm down a touch.

&#231 wrote: »
    WRONG!

Hilarity ensued ;)

oh right. well in that case let me rephrase my answer. you cant ban yourself from a forum you mod which was what i tried to do last night

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I just had to kill a lot of people...
    Yeah, but look at the bill for the number of cats to lick the inside of the plane clean.

This is gonna add fuel to the fight da powah threads.

There was another time when Crash_000 swapped the TCD rant/bitch/moan thread for the UCD rant/bitch/moan thread (not competitive, I swear) which led to general confusion. Good times.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

oleras wrote:
    small c0ck syndrome comes to mind, but far be it for me to question the size, ill leave that up to your ma's to answer.....

or you could just ask yore ma..

ffs how could anyone resist that setup??

Advertisement