Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wlan ip and dns

• 18-08-2007 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I'm connected to a shared wireless network with my notebook but it doesn't have a DHCP server so I'm getting the default windows IP. Does anyone know of a way of finding out what the gateway and dns server names are ? or if there is a tool that can do this.

I have tried Wireshark and Ethereal but because I'm not in the right subnet it doesn't come up with anything.

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Do DHCP is disabled on the router? What do you mean the "default Windows IP"? AFAIK, Windows, by default, uses DHCP.

I'm no network hacker so can't assist you finding the gateway and DNS servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Can you not ask whoever administers the network you want to connect to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you are there legit, look at another pc and find out.. cmd - ipconfig.
    If not then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

ethernet wrote:
    Do DHCP is disabled on the router? What do you mean the "default Windows IP"? AFAIK, Windows, by default, uses DHCP.

I'm no network hacker so can't assist you finding the gateway and DNS servers.

Yep, windows does use DHCP by default but this network doesn't have a DHCP server which makes me think DHCP is disabled on the router.

I'm no hacker either :rolleyes: , staying in an apartment whilst the owner is on holiday and I don't have the details of the ip range used by the router.

Advertisement