Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish minors/majors/elective students: How's Spanish language (beginners)?

Options
  • 18-08-2007 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

It looks like I'll be studying medicine at UCD as I got 600 CAO points and put down UCD medicine down as my first option. I've been looking at possible electives and would possibly like to take Spanish language (beginners) at the School of Languages, Literature and Film as an elective. Here's why:

I've been taking intensive Spanish over the summer at Helsinki University and have found the language fairly easy to pick up. I also don't mind having to learn the grammar or do extensive vocabulary building. Strange, I know, but that's what you get when your dad is a translator and you start learning foreign languages at the age of 9. ;)

The ALC electives look interesting (fairly practical) but I also like getting down to the nitty-gritty stuff. And knowing I could have a pretty good command of the language after two years of intensive study appeals to me. And language learning should be fairly manageable in the preclinical years.

So...

If you have taken Spanish language (beginners) 1a, 1b or 2 a, how have you found the course?

How homework-intensive is the course when it comes down to weekly hours? Surely it's more than UCD horizons has it down for?

How does the intensive track compare CEFR-wise with the language centre track? For instance, both Spanish (beginners) 1a and Spanish for general purposes 1 are supposed to be CEFR A1, and Spanish (beginners) 1 b is supposed to be A1/progressing to A2. But looking at the learning objectives, the intensive track seems much more advanced than the ALC track.

Is Spanish (beginners) do-able as an elective? What if it clashes with core courses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phosphorus

Hi EricaGrl,

as you already know some Spanish and also considering your background, the beginners course (1a at least) will be quite easy for you as you will have a head start compared to most other beginners. The courses are fairly time intensive as you have to do conversation as well as laboratory classes apart from language classes. Also, there is a fair amount of homework (exercises, mostly... and basically you get one smallish homework at every lecture).

I didn't do any of the ALC modules, but I can honestly tell you that if you really want to be good at Spanish, the language modules from Arts are the way to go as you will be progressing (if you put in the work) much faster. Also, I know most of the lecturers in the Spanish department and they are really great people, who know what they are talking about and can actually teach what they know (this may be the case for ALC as well, but I don't have any direct experience...).

To answer your last questions, yes, Spanish (beginners) is definitely do-able as an elective, but you have to be prepared to actually work, especially for someone with your background. If the Spanish modules clash with your core modules, there is not much you can do, unfortunately. I would still try and ask at your programme office, if there is anything that can be done.

If you have any other questions, just PM me... Also, as a treasurer of the Spanish Society in UCD, I'd also advise you to drop by our stand during fresher's week even if just for a chat ;)

P.S.: Beware that a part of the exam for this course is the famous oral exam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Hi,

I took the beginners spanish course from the ALC last year, it was a great course just to get the absolute basics. I was glad as I have a pretty full timetable as a vet student and I just wanted something light and refreshing compared to my usual lectures. I wouldnt advise you to do a beginners elective in Spanish from the ALC as it would be very boring for you if you have any previous spanish- there is no emphasis on grammar etc, my teacher was more interested in having fun and doing as little work as possible. There was no homework most days and when there was it could be done in 5 minutes maximum. The end of semester exam was pretty easy and it would guarantee you an easy elective with great grades at the end. If you really want to learn Spanish though its probably not the best option.

Advertisement