Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job advise...

Options
  • 19-08-2007 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,
    I hope this is in the right forum.
    I am basically hoping someone out there can give me some job advise...

In the middle of a total career change. After finishing college and spending a couple of years in the finance area..I want out.
    Although I am in no way musical myself (cant sing and have never learnt an instrument) I am really passionate about music. My favourite thing in the world is going to gig after gig, concerts, festivals, open mic nights etc.
    I am hoping to somehow gain employment which has something to do with perhaps organising gigs or some-kind of music management. But to be honest I believe working in the music industry in any capacity would make me happy.

...however...I am at the moment quite clueless about it all.
    Does anyone have any info such as other careers available within this (I only know of the obvious ones like manager or promoter).
    Any info at all on the whole area would be really really greatly appreciated!
    Thanks loads
    Spider_Baby

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Something like working in MCD, Aiken, POD or smaller music promoters maybe? Would you be able to go back to college? This might increase your chances, although working in finance might be enough. Where do you live? There are courses in music management - the best place in Dublin for that is Ballyfermot. Then there's Coláiste Stiofáin Naofa in Cork. Although I think you have to be musical all right to get on to that particular course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Hi Dudess
    Im living near enough to Ballyfermot, think its about 20 mins away by car. Going back to college full-time this year (like this Sept or Oct) wouldn't be possible at the moment. Part-time would be possible though. Next Sept I might be able to go back full-time though. (THe year would give me time to pay off previous world-trip loan and time to save for course fees).
    Im still unsure as to what exact area I would like to work in though, mainly because I dont know too much about what jobs are actually out there.
    If anyone else has any advise it would be really appreciated :)

You live that close to Ballyfermot? Good God, get down to the college and have a chat with them anyway. There may be an ideal night course for you. You might not even have to go back to college full-time. As I said, working in finance might be ideal experience. Get down there quickly though. Courses - both full-time and part-time - are starting up soon. And you have to do all the registering stuff too.

Thanks Dudess. Found their website and had a look at the courses on offer. Both the Music Management & Production and the Higher National Diploma in Music Management sound really good! Neither mention if they are full-time or part-time or both though.
    I emailed the college and asked for more info though and asked about them being full-time or part-time.
    Fingers crossed! :)

I got some info from Ballyfermot. There is a part-time course on "Music Industry Studies" starting in Sept. Every Monday for 22 weeks. Sounds good. Its only 370Euro for 22 weeks which sounds like a bloody good deal. Looking at the modules though...one of the 5 is "Composing, Songwriting and Publishing"..hmmm.....
    Not musical myself! Other 4 modules sound good though:
    1. Music Industry
    2. Artists, Management and Performance
    3. The recording process
    4. Composing, Songwriting and Publishing <--- not sure about this one
    5. The law and finances.

Has anyone taken this course?
    Need to find out if its actually a course for musicians as opposed to non-musical people who want to work in the industry...

• Advertisement

Sounds ideal. Just go for it, don't wait around to hear from others who have done it. You'd need to do that if it was full-time/long/really expensive. But when it's not that huge a commitment, there really isn't any need. It seems like it would suit both musicians and non-musicians. Ballyfermot has an excellent reputation. Get in there, kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

A mate of mine's going there to do sound engineering this year. I know that doesn't really relate to anything here, but i'd be able to let you know what the place's like and so on. Course dudess is right as well with the whole not a massive commitment and such.

Thanks for the replies Dudess and Steez! :)
    Steez, that course your friend is doing, is that a full time one?
    Yeah I am thinking I will go for the course, still not sure if its for both musicians and non-musicians though (never got a reply from Ballyfermot about it). The songwriting module has thrown me a bit, but if its not a major part of the course I would be willing to still do the course. However if its a massive part of it..I'm screwed!
    What do you guys think?
    I'm hoping it even just gives me a whole overview of the whole music industry so then I can at least narrow down which parts I would prefer to work in.
    THanks again! :)

Advertisement