Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privatisation?

Options
  • 19-08-2007 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hiya

I was wondering does anyone have any information on starting up a waste collection service in Ireland?

Is the market open to competition or do these competitors have to be government approved?

Looking for information regarding starting up a service in the Northwest region so any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You need an EPA licence as I understand it. Have a look at the websites of some of the private operators.

If you want to do domestic collections in competition with the local authority, you will face VAT issues.

There is a lot to it, but good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theedee

Thanks for the reply

Yea i know about the waste transfer licences and however do you know anything about the competition side of things or even were to findout more information?

I mean is it illegal to just open up a private service?

You mean is there any law against you just going into competition with the local authority? Providing you have all your environmental and safety worked out, there isn't as far as I know. But I could be wrong. The council could certainly make things tough for you, so it would be worth building up a rapport with the officials there.

You really need to find a law firm that works in this area though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theedee

Any suggestions?

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B2DVFC_enIE219IE219&q=solicitor+waste+management&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE

There's McCann Fitz and Fry's coming up. Pricey crowds if all you want to do is set up a few bin runs. But there is some interesting information there in the search results about the forms to fill in to start a service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement