Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get protein

Options
  • 19-08-2007 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Being veggies what do you get your protein from? I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and mainly just eating fruit and veg....the weight isn't coming off, been told I'm not getting enough protein in my diet so what are good sources of protein for us veggies? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Spirulina:
    Nature's richest and most complete source of total organic nutrition. This green superfood containing over 100 synergistic nutrients comes from a microscopic freshwater plant, ecologically grown without chemicals and concentrated by removing nothing but the water. Spirulina is widely used throughout the world as a food supplement for maintaining health, energy and optimum weight.

-Nature's richest source of protein (65% of it's weight), 300% more than fish, meat or poultry (but with zero cholesterol).
    -58x richer in iron than spinach. A non-toxic organic source. Taking the maintenance level of Spirulina provides 39% RDA
    -Richest wholefood source of anti-oxidants (25x richer in beta carotene than carrot)
    -2x richer in chlorophyll than alfalfa, barleygrass or wheatgrass
    -Natures richest source of vitamin B12 (often lacking in a vegetarian diet)
    -Spirulina assists weight control by curbing the appetite naturally while still supplying a full range of nutrients needed for a balanced diet.
    -As an unrefined whole food, Spirulina is absorbed up to 16x more effectively than synthetic multivitamin supplements.

Ehhh.. so yea... Spirulina:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Dairy products are full of protein but also fat.... quorn (see many recent threads!) is high in protein/low in fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Lentils, pulses, chick peas, beans, soya (soya milk/tofu/quorn etc), some vegetables (potatoes is one i think)

There's dairy and egg too but that's not terribly healthy.

What's this Spirulina stuff about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks guys....yes where can I get this Spirulina?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

From the sticky.

Eight essential amino acids are needed to make a complete protein.Dairy products,eggs and
    soya products(tofu,tempeh,soya drinks and desserts)all provide complete protein in themselves.

Combining whole grains(unrefined wheat,rye,millet,barlet,spelt,rice,quinoa)
    with pulses(beans,peas,lentils)and supplementing with small amounts of nuts and seeds also
    provides plenty of protein.All the essential amino acids are found in combinations
    such as beans on toast,lentil curry with brown rice,musli with milk,hummus made from chickpeas
    and sesame tahini,peanut butter sandwiches made from wholemeal bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks Tar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You can get Spirulina in most health shops. I get the Synergy brand. It's also on Ebay a good bit cheaper than the health shops here, but I wouldn't be too sure of the quality of the Ebay stuff.

Advertisement