Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Enfield 303

Options
  • 19-08-2007 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,
    Being on the lookout for a nice lee enfield for some time now.Has anyone seen one in a dealers or somewhere?I want a mark11 no.4 or later in good condition.The ones i have seen so far are pretty poor with the wood rattling and bores in poor condition.I was origionally looking for a jungle carbine...like hens teeth at the moment.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Give Neil McVeigh a call in Crescent Sports, Monkstown, Co. Dublin.
    He has at least one in stock at the minute, and I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he was getting in a couple more (but they may be for customers).

His telephone number is 01 2808988; and the shop is open Tuesdays to Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

Thanks for that ,I'll give him a buzz tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi Guys,

I recently bought an old Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 11. Made in 1955, it shoots pretty well out to 300yds, have yet to try it out further at long distances. Its quite clean, no big gouges out of the stock, the bore is clean and still quite sharp looking and to my amazement, when I opened the butt plate, the oil bottle and pull through were there.

Have a look at the photos, what do you think !!

MRC 2.JPG

MRC 3.JPG

MRC 5.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Sweet that looks great. Met a Lad at my local range
    that had a K98 a few weeks back. Dunno if I would
    prefer a Enfield or a K98.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

What is the usual attitude of FOs to these types of rifles?

"Military calibre, go away"

or

"Too large a calibre for target shooting, go away"

or

"Not an Olympic competition calibre, go away"

or ?

• Advertisement

Yeh, you gotta love the old Enfield, I was Brought up on them in the FCA back in the early '70's.

The K98's are a fine rifle, but hard to find quality ammo, unless you reload !!

Any amount of 303 can be got in NI and good quality too.. a personal choice I guess..

Hi Dr.

I had no problem with my FO, but then again I have a good relationship and history with him and my Super, I've been shootin' for years.

Once you have a reason for having it there should be no problem !! he says.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

V Bull wrote:
    Yeh, you gotta love the old Enfield, I was Brought up on them in the FCA back in the early '70's.

The K98's are a fine rifle, but hard to find quality ammo, unless you reload !!

Any amount of 303 can be got in NI and good quality too.. a personal choice I guess..

When I was in the FCA the Enfield was just phased out :(
    but I did get to fire the Bren MarkIII gun quite a lot in .303 which
    was lovely in single and 3 round bursts.

Jim Halpin in Listowel mangaged to get ammo for the bloke I met
    for his K98 only thing was that said ammo was surplus and had
    corrosive primers???

~B

That a smashing looking 303 v bull,any thing i've seen hasn't come close only brian duffys personal one in galway and he won't sell it to me.
    I was up north a few months ago but i didn't see anything of quality but that was in one place in mcguires bridge,guess if i had time to search around?You kinda need to know where to look as well i suppose.

Can't see a problem with the FO as i am a member of a target sooting club,also have a deer licence and i'am a farmer with land to shoot it on.The super stated on the article 7 for my pistol licence reason for firearm "leisure".I imagine this would be the same for the 303.

old military surplus had salt primers which means you have to clean the bores more thoroughly.Heard storiies of pouring boiled water down the bore to dissolve out the salt.Think some of the FCA guys would shed more light on this.
    However you got to be carefull if you are trying to reload these as the primer is crimped into place and all has to be removed first.

Jim has a couple of boxes of this stuff,all came sealed in a lead case and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Correct! You had to boil out the barrel, using a funnell and 8 pints of water (or was it 9 pints?).

However, The ammo we were using in the 80's, the mk7Z were modern manufacture and I suspect that the primers were non corrosive. We used to clean them the old way, because thats the way you were trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

V Bull wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I recently bought an old Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 11. Made in 1955, it shoots pretty well out to 300yds, have yet to try it out further at long distances. Its quite clean, no big gouges out of the stock, the bore is clean and still quite sharp looking and to my amazement, when I opened the butt plate, the oil bottle and pull through were there.

Have a look at the photos, what do you think !!

I think whoever showed you where to attach the front end of the sling was winding you up.

Sandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

how much does a decent ww2 era lee enfield cost, or a mauser for that matter. ball park figure anyone?

Yeh Sandy,

You are correct about the sling if you are carrying it on your shoulder, I dont. I use it for wraping it around my arm when shooting, some others prefer to have it on the mid loop, it depends on arm lenght and comfort in my case.

stevoman wrote:
    how much does a decent ww2 era lee enfield cost, or a mauser for that matter. ball park figure anyone?

Hi Stevo,

My Lee Enfield was bought over in the UK, kept in storage for use when we went over and brought back to Ireland in 2005. I think it cost £265.

At the Pheonix Meeting in Bisley you can see any amount of Lees and Mausers. Some Lees over there are brand new, three shots fired, fantastic timber in the stocks and matching numbers on the mags receiver and stock, cost £685.

Advertisement