Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Editing PC

Options
  • 19-08-2007 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

would people have a look over this and see if they can see conflicts. the computer will mainly be used for video editing. Cant think of anything else that would be needed. Thanks

XFX nForce 680i SLI, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP,600/1900Mhz
    Corsair Dominator TWIN2X6400C4D 2048MB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    Thermaltake Kandalf LCS black alu front, watercooling 775/754/939/940 (w/o PSU)
    Fortron/Source Epsilon 700W, Blue Fan, Active PFC, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM (OS Drive)
    2 X Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    Windows XP 64 BIT OS
    2 X Acer 22" LCD AL2216Wsd, Widescreen, Silver/Black, 1680x1050, 700:1, 5ms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

You've got the right idea anyway, fast drives and a quad core CPU would be a must in a video editing system. Ditch the 680i board in favour of a P35 based one, something like an Asus P5K Deluxe/Premium or Abit IP35Pro would be good. The 680i just isn't a good chipset, the newer Intel P35 would be far better especially for a Quad. PSU, not really great maybe a Thermaltake 750w, or PCP+C, or something seasonic. A corsair HX620 would power that rig fine actually, always top of my PSU list:D . Stay away from Thermaltake, very, very far away. If you want WC go custom, if not get a good aircooler such as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. On the monitor you might be best to get a single 24" with a good panel, the lower priced LCD's use TN panels while great for gaming and general desktop work, things that need good colour reproduction would be best served by something with an S-IPS panel. They will be pricier by a good bit though. Links to where you're buying would help, and also your budget;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah I'd second that you don't really need the 680i any P35 chipset will do the job unless you want SLI support.

There is no point in getting Windows XP 64-bit because;
    * You have only 2GB of RAM
    * Application support is poor
    * Driver support is poor

Windows Vista 64-bit is better in all areas if you want 64-bit support but I would change the graphics card to an ATI 2900XT if doing so as NVIDIA's 64-bit drivers suck compared to the 32-bit which are fine. ATI have no such problem with 32 or 64-bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

64bit OS is being installed to allow for future updates on the Ram without effecting the system.

budget and where to buy are not a problem as they will be coming from wholesalers and direct, not the internet.

again with the sli support, just trying to make it easy as possible if the end user wishes to update the system.

Video editing is one area i dont know anything about so would ye be able to post links for monitors as pointed out this is the area which you'll see color reproduction.

i have the corsair 620W powering one of my systems here and have to say im delighted with it.

The asus PK5 deluxe, that has 2 PCI-E slots, would this suffice for SLI if needs be. or for video editing would you be better off sticking with one graphics card and going as big as you can, and would this be aswell for the monitor, stick with one but get the best you can. or would 2 still be handy.

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

8800GTS a bit much maybe? Get more ram or something?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

vir7ual wrote:
    64bit OS is being installed to allow for future updates on the Ram without effecting the system.

budget and where to buy are not a problem as they will be coming from wholesalers and direct, not the internet.

again with the sli support, just trying to make it easy as possible if the end user wishes to update the system.

Video editing is one area i dont know anything about so would ye be able to post links for monitors as pointed out this is the area which you'll see color reproduction.

i have the corsair 620W powering one of my systems here and have to say im delighted with it.

The asus PK5 deluxe, that has 2 PCI-E slots, would this suffice for SLI if needs be. or for video editing would you be better off sticking with one graphics card and going as big as you can, and would this be aswell for the monitor, stick with one but get the best you can. or would 2 still be handy.

Thanks for the replies

Okay but just be aware that very few companies support XP 64 and XP 64's driver base is built off XP which is quite a few years old now whereas Vista driver base is much more recent so 64-bit support is a lot better on the driver front.

Secondly as only XP Pro was 64-bit some companies refused to support it because it was not a Home OS now you may think this not a problem but webcams, scanners you name it are not supported and never will be which is why Vista is the better route as there is a Home 64-bit version & companies are supporting it with proper 64-bit drivers.

For displays you will want something with the full 16.7m colours no 16.2 displays and good colour calibration options;
    NEC 20WGX2 - top of the pile for tweaking (review)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2407
    LG 226WTQ-SF (calibrated profile)

• Advertisement

best bet so would be to stay with 32bit OS and put in 2gigs high end RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

vir7ual wrote:
    best bet so would be to stay with 32bit OS and put in 2gigs high end RAM
    Not really, best thing would be to use Vista64, I mean you (or they) are going to have to use it eventually.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Graphics cards have minimal impact on video editing performance....

Fast Hard drives and a monster CPU is what you need...

Look into Raid0 74gig Raptors for your OS / Editing Programs and the projects you are currently working on, Video that isnt currently being worked on can go on slower storage, and DO NOT get a 680i motherboard

Watecooling is also way overkill, better off getting 4gigs of ram and 64bit Vista...

Are you using Avid or Premiere? Premiere Pro 2 and CS3 run perfectly on Vista ;)

And where are you planning on buying from?

Have a look on www.hardwareversand.de they have much better prices than Komplett..

If you want me to spec up a PC for you on Komplett or hwv just ask...

i wont be buying from any of these as i have direct contact and supplies from companies already supplying komplett and the likes. just they buy bulk i dont.

dont know what software the person uses so thinking of horsing on the ram and running the 150gig raptors as thought out.

Advertisement