Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Jol to go?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

So do you guys think that Martin Jol is a good tactical manager?

Seriously, how many Spurs games do you watch in their entirity?

I watched the Sunderland game and the Everton game this season and i could pick out two big faults from both games.

When they played Sunderland the line up in midfield was Zakora, Malbranque, Tanio and Jenas

How many of them four can offer true width and creativity? none of them.
    Jenas can win the ball and shoot, Zakora is a good carrier of the ball and Malbranqe has a good work rate. The strikers didnt get any service because none of the midfielders could split the defence with a through ball. Huddlestone is Spurs best passer and he was on the bench and Jol realised this and brought him on with only 3 minutes to go.

When they played Everton they Had Malbranque on the left and Keane on the right. Everybody with a brain knows that it should have been the other way around.

Huddlestone is the best passer and the fowards play much better when he is playing in my opinion but yet he only came on 3 minutes to go agains Sunderland and didnt even get on against Everton. He then starts against Derby and they win 4-0.

If you are going to spend alot of money on strikers and depend on them as much as Jol does then you have to play your best passing midfielder every game and in tottenhams case it is Huddlestone.

Looks like he is staying.

Good news for the rest of us. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Huddlestone is the best passer and the fowards play much better when he is playing in my opinion but yet he only came on 3 minutes to go agains Sunderland and didnt even get on against Everton. He then starts against Derby and they win 4-0.

Funny you should highlight his first start against Derby, didn't Lee and Malbranque play on the left for the first time in that game? Didn't Malbranque weigh in with two goals?

Huddlestone is as slow as a wet weekend, he was made look decidedly average by Fabregas at WHL in the Carling Cup and by the entire Utd midfield at WHL in a 4-0 thrashing. He will never have a midfield built around him.

Funny you should highlight his first start against Derby, didn't Lee and Malbranque play on the left for the first time in that game? Didn't Malbranque weigh in with two goals?

Huddlestone is as slow as a wet weekend, he was made look decidedly average by Fabregas at WHL in the Carling Cup and by the entire Utd midfield at WHL in a 4-0 thrashing. He will never have a midfield built around him.

So do you think that Huddlestone should start for Tottenham?

If your answer is yes, he should start then that means you are agreeing with me and therefor Jol made a big mistake not playing him in the first two games. I guarantee you, he has realised this and he will start Huddlestone against Man utd and prety much every game for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Looks like he is staying.

Good, It's nice to see the Tottenham board showing a little backbone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

He got the backing of the board.

Jol sacked so.

kdjac

So do you think that Huddlestone should start for Tottenham?

Depends on the opposition and the formation.

Derby were the perfect team to start him against, no pace or ability in their central midfield. Against any of the top 4 (or most of the 2nd tier sides for that matter) he'd be bypassed in the middle, Fabregas made him look like a lost child in the 2-2 at WHL in the Carling Cup.

If he does start, it needs to be in a 3 man central midfield, with two hard working CM partners to do his running for him.

Jol was right to leave him on the bench vs Everton, Sunderland I'm not so sure about.

The weakness in our midfield can be summarised as:

1. No left footer.
    2. No creativity.
    3. No bite.

Huddlestone fulfils the 2nd, but weakens us on point 3.

KdjaCL wrote:
    He got the backing of the board.

Jol sacked so.

kdjac

They've f*cked up royally and now have to back peddle to make it look like they weren't trying to shaft him.

He has until the end of season at best.

• Advertisement

The weakness in our midfield can be summarised as:

1. No left footer.
    2. No creativity.
    3. No bite.

Huddlestone fulfils the 2nd, but weakens us on point 3.

I am not saying that he is as good as Fabregas. Every team needs a creative player playing most of the matches, especially Spurs because they rely so much on their strikers. Im not saying he is a quality player but he must play. Man utd rely so much on Scholes as Arsenal with Fabregas. Then there is Arteta, Gerrard and so on. Its such an important role and to not have a creative midfielder playing in your first two games of the season is just bad management and i am sure Jol would be the first to admit it.

anyone agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I am not saying that he is as good as Fabregas. Every team needs a creative player playing most of the matches, especially Spurs because they rely so much on their strikers. Im not saying he is a quality player but he must play. Man utd rely so much on Scholes as Arsenal with Fabregas. Then there is Arteta, Gerrard and so on. Its such an important role and to not have a creative midfielder playing in your first two games of the season is just bad management and i am sure Jol would be the first to admit it.

anyone agree?
    huddelstone is nowhere near as good as any of the players u have mentioned he is average at best.cant believe spurs didnt buy a top midfielder/winger during the summer think they should have spent 16m on one instead of bent.i think once Jol has a full squad to pick from spurs will be get back up the table,he has been very unlucky losing king dawson bale not many teams could cope losing 3 of there back 4 and lennon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2156440,00.html

I don't know how much faith one can put in this article but it certainly puts Jol in a positive light. I haven't been all that impressed by his management of Spurs, but if this is the kind of thing he's had to put up with... then I suppose he hasn't done a bad job at all.

Advertisement