Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant Dialup error

Options
  • 19-08-2007 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a WIn XP laptop with SP2 and cant dial out to any ISP or infact any number

has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Did this problem just start or has it been like this since you started using the PC? I would suggest first finding a mate with a broadband connection and visiting http://update.microsoft.com to make sure your up-to-date on all current patches, then installing Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 (free, just google it) while you are there (make sure to update it while online before you scan) and making sure there is no malware thats effecting your dialup connections.

-S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

im fully windows update and also clean with spyware and adaware. it just stopped working :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Can you hear the modem get a dial tone ? does it? can it dial out?do you hear the cng tone? (like a fax machine noise)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Not sure about "The other computer blocked your call"

Is this after it answered and negotiated the connection ?

no it wont even dial

I have also tried Hyper Terminal and stillno joy I have setup to dial my mobile and still no joy :(

I can rebuild the laptop to test but Id prefer not to go down this route ;(

Thanks

• Advertisement

Try removing the modem from the device manager, reboot and reinstall.

Worth a go.

Been There Done That Also :(
    Also Installed Latest Driver S (

Sounds like you might be out of luck. Have you checked with the manufacturers website or user forums.

Sounds like a hardware fault though. Your best hope is a loose wire or other connection.

Ill Give Dell A Buzzzzzzzzzzz On It :(

You could simply be using the wrong type of RJ11 cord.. Sometimes especially if the laptop was english or puchased from Dixons and the like... the line needs to go from the center pins at your wall socket to the outer pair on the laptop..

You might be able to check this by looking at the laptop rj11 socket . verify that the pins are on the inside or outside ..(This wont work if all four are there) but you get the idea..
    ps you have checked you havent goit a dodgy wall socket?:D

• Advertisement

i get this error with no RJ 11 connected this comes up before it even looks for the dial up

what happens if you query the modem in contol panel?

Googled your problem and apparently its quite common..

Try this http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6155-2890393,00.html :)

Advertisement