Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Clearwire (or ex-Clearwire) users?

Options
  • 19-08-2007 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

anybody out there have Clearwire (or 'Crapwire')?

If so, what kind of download speeds are you getting?

My download speed is absolutely woeful!!!!!!!!

It never gets above about 50/60Kb/sec!! At any time of the day or night!

And I'm paying for 2Mbps!!!!

And normally it's a lot slower than this!

Clearwires response: Nothing wrong with their service, my machine is the problem!!!

Absolute Bullsh*t!!!!

I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they are experiencing this same woeful service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I had horrible problems recently. I was averaging about 6k downloads.

I emailed them (from work) and they asked me to use www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php and send them the results.

I did this and they sent me out the clearpug devices. You can put your modem in the best location and plug these in and it will send the signal through your power outlets.

I used these and my modem always gets 5 bars on, but I sent them a new result from irishisptest with my 0.48kbps download and unknown upload.

I've asked to cancel and they haven't replied funnily enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I had Clearwire for a few months and after the first few weeks the only thing that worked OK was my browser. Clearwire dont want you doing anything else on their NW. The' support' is a joke/non existent.

I returned my modem with a letter threatening legal action and got full refund of all the months I was with them.

If you want to surf the net at 2Mb then that’s fine, beyond that.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm curious are you downloading anything via P2P applications, if you are then its worth noting that Clearwire throttle/block common P2P ports

Jelly 292 wrote:
    I had Clearwire for a few months and after the first few weeks the only thing that worked OK was my browser. Clearwire dont want you doing anything else on their NW. The' support' is a joke/non existent.

I returned my modem with a letter threatening legal action and got full refund of all the months I was with them.

If you want to surf the net at 2Mb then that’s fine, beyond that.....

Any chance of the exact wording (ommitting personal details obviously) of this letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johnnyrafter

I have been on clearwire for 2weeks (1.5mb package average 3/4 lights on).....what a waste of materials and manpower... the first time i'm used it i got 1.3mb download, after that it's average has been between 2kbs and 48kbs download. After first i tried using torrents, but they block them ( they don't inform you of that). I've also heard you cant use skype on their 'network'.

Yep it does seem it can only be used for surfing or email, and it's not much use at that either....and if you mail has a pic in it....go put the kettle on!!!
    People sud be warned of this...........

A question to the the techies, sum of the time i can surf alright, then try downloading a 1.7mb file and it can take over an hour. Can they do this delibrately, or is it just their service is the worst in the country, dialup/dsl included?

• Advertisement

Their service is the worst I've experienced anyway. Even Ripwave was better than this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Clearwires response: Nothing wrong with their service, my machine is the problem!!!

LOL, jesus, next thing they'll be blaming the phases of the moon. I actually thought it was becoming a little more reliable over the past few weeks (more and more people cancelling and freeing the network up maybe?) until last night, where I couldn't even get a fecking IP from the DHCP server (4 bars on the modem and layer2 connectivity was fine).

I'm going to be looking seriously into those 3G USB yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RobertaBlueEyes

Hi,

thanks for your responses. Now I KNOW that 'Crapwire' has to go!

I'm just so angry at paying them almost €50 a month for a broadband connection that's slower than dial-up.

B*st*rds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭flybynight

Hi,

thanks for your responses. Now I KNOW that 'Crapwire' has to go!

I'm just so angry at paying them almost €50 a month for a broadband connection that's slower than dial-up.

B*st*rds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

How long have you had it for? Let us know how you get on with finishing up your contract early. We've just finished up a year contract with them - had the 2mb package also and it was just awful! We're just waiting for our 5mb package with Smart to commence. In the meantime I've borrowed my girlfriend's Ripwave yoke - she has only the 512k connection and I'm getting considerably faster speeds using it than I ever did with Clearwire!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RobertaBlueEyes

flybynight wrote:
    How long have you had it for? Let us know how you get on with finishing up your contract early. We've just finished up a year contract with them - had the 2mb package also and it was just awful! We're just waiting for our 5mb package with Smart to commence. In the meantime I've borrowed my girlfriend's Ripwave yoke - she has only the 512k connection and I'm getting considerably faster speeds using it than I ever did with Clearwire!!

I've had it now for 5 months. I would have gotten rid of it much sooner had I realised just how slow it is. It's only recently that I've actually started to download stuff.

As soon as I sort out some other provider I'll be giving Clearwire the boot.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I've had ClearWire for ~18 months, and for half of the time it was the only BB option in my particular section of D4. (I'm not kidding - IBB has no coverage, NTL still don't have the fibre, and Eircom's exchange was not ready for DSL at first, though my flatmate has that now.)

In the last 6-8 weeks I've noticed a dramatic improvement, and sometimes get >100KB/s file downloads (~1mb/s). I guess they did something, then.

When I did some analysis last year, the big problem I saw was contention ratio. Using a Linux tool called Etherape, I could see more than 50 other PCs on the same network segment (my side of the router).

That's a lot of folks contending for that 2Mb/s. I just searched CW's site for the word "contention", and got no hits. I wonder why that is? (And you thought 2Mb/s is a guarantee of 200kB/s downloads? Get some better glasses and check the small print! :rolleyes: )

(PS: Etherape shows you what's out there, broadcasting or talking to you, by IP address. It not do any packet gathering or analysis in "promiscuous mode", i.e. it's not a hacking tool of any sort, so don't look at me funny, OK?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

stereoroid wrote:
    That's a lot of folks contending for that 2Mb/s.

That's not how contention works.
    stereoroid wrote:
    It not do any packet gathering or analysis in "promiscuous mode", i.e. it's not a hacking tool of any sort

Capturing packets in promiscuous mode is not hacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I started with Irish Broadband back in 05. It went from useable to utter crap. Then I went to Clearsh1te in 06. Same ould sh1te. Got rid. Now I have Digiweb and I havent had much problems (abeit minor). If you can at all go with digiweb and ditch clearsh1te.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Reason to get clearwire = because you want broadband but can't get it from anyother provider because 1) phonelines or 2) coverage. It's expensive and not that great.

I don't see why we can't have as competitive a market as the UK. I know Ireland is smaller, but Dublin is as big as many of the places that get good broadband in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Was with Cl*rwire when i had no other option.

- poor service
    - poor support
    - no reliability.

Advertisement