Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats best for a good ol' piss up?...

• 19-08-2007 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

A wedding or a funeral?.

Simple really, and no need for another poll.

We were discussing weddings in work this morning, and in the midst of the discussion I threw in "Lads, I prefer a good funeral/wake to any wedding", and everyone agreed.

Then spoke about the best funerals we've been to over the year's, and really they were more memorable and more enjoyable than the weddings.

So the Q?.. Whats your preference for a good ol' piss up a wedding or a funeral?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

In my experience, weddings are miserable affairs, fraught with danger and simmering with tension that often spills over into snide remarks, rudeness, insults and eventually, fisticuffs.... and that's just my own wedding ;)

Seriously though ... a good wake is much better than any wedding. Black humour is so delicious, and people in shock have chilling clarity of thought that can reduce you to floods of tears and laughter.

Weddings are such hard work now, and such big business, it's more like a military operation that must be planned, time-tabled and run with split second accuracy ... there's very little room for fun, and if you get pissed at a wedding, it's seen as bad form ... it's the Brides big day after all.

At a funeral, people are much clearer about their goal ... remembering the deceased in their finest moments. And over a lifetime, most people accumulate great stories worth the telling. Also, even people who don't like a piss-up tend to go for it at a funeral, partly out of shock and bereavement, and partly out of tradition ... everyone else is doing it.

While I wish long life and happiness to all my friends and family ... when they do kick the bucket, I will endeavour to send them off in style, pint in one hand, kebab in the other ... sharing the finest moments of the dearly departed, and watching as one story sparks up another memory from another pal.

I would consider it a great honour, if my pals would do the same for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

trout wrote:
    I will endeavour to send them off in style, pint in one hand, kebab in the other ... .

Jeeze get it right....

I come from a time when the lads hit the local and the wimmen folk made a lorry load of 'sarnies and brought them to us :D

These days more and more funerals head back to a 'reception' area :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with the local and getting rid of the wimmen?.

Even taking the 'reception area' into account a funeral beats a wedding hands down everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

Mairt wrote:
    I come from a time when the lads hit the local and the wimmen folk made a lorry load of 'sarnies' and brought them to us :D
    Great Days. Great. Days. Indeed.

Where I come from, Sarnies are known as Sambos, and they are the preferred post funereal feast of the old-school Brothers. Nothin' wrong with that, each to their own.:)

If I had to choose between Sarnies/Sambos or Kebabs ... I'd probably go for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Sarnies I miss the big the big pots of stew that were accompanied by dannos of Guinness and Harp can't beat a good funeral

Right brothers..

Just in from Campions (Malahide Rd) and one of the last bastions of irish manhood left in Dublin. And as you lads might know, 'tis many a god funeral session was had in here.

I brought up this discussion and the general feeling was...

Yeah, haven't had a good funeral in awhile. nothing like ordering a Chinese or chipper to the pub and swallowing a sh*t load of Guinness to celebrate the life and death of a love one/mate.

Btw, there was a traveller group in tonight, great ol' craic they were too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Will probably have to go with the funeral on this one myself. My Dad's one was just before Xmas and was only thinking the other day, that there was a serious amount of drink consumed over those two days and nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

definitely a funeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A wedding or a funeral of someone I don't like, either way it's bound to be good craic.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A wedding is planned down to the finest detail and it's a bit like New Year's Eve - you're expected to enjoy yourself whether you like it or not. Funeral piss-ups tend to degenerate into proper, happy drunkeness far quicker and strange as it may seem, people are often happier at them than they are at weddings. Funerals FTW, although I'm not in any hurry for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Clearly I have been going to the wrong funerals.

Well, be careful what you wish for!.

Tomorrow starts a week of mourning since my uncle 'J' passed away this evening.

We're having an ol' traditional wake in his home, a horse drawn carriage to the church and a lorry load of fvcking gargle, enough to sink the Lusitania!.

Been on the rip for the evening, and just sitting now, listening to some music and remembering the good ol' times.

He was a good ol' skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just saw the After Hours thread.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle's passing, very scary considering his age.

Condolences Brother Mairt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I had heard the old joke, what's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral...there's one less drunk at the funeral.

At least I thought it was a joke until I moved here. You guys really know how to give someone a send off:cool:

I think I am going to change my will so there is €1000 behind the bar in my name when I pop my clogs.

I had heard the old joke, what's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral...there's one less drunk at the funeral.

At least I thought it was a joke until I moved here. You guys really know how to give someone a send off:cool:

I think I am going to change my will so there is €1000 behind the bar in my name when I pop my clogs.

Ah you don't know what a funeral is until you've experienced a good old Irish wake!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_wake

Advertisement