Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Carlow Bypass-when will it open?

Options
  • 19-08-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any inside info as to when the N9bypass may at long last open.
    Progress looks v good anyway, all the major brodges and stuff seem to be in place. Perhaps by next summer:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

no idea. Just looking forward to not having any reason to go through Castledermot any more tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

It is expected that the new high quality dual carriageway will be completed in full by 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

The Carlow bypass is due to open in Q3 2008. It will probably open before that though as the NRA always give a date further than expected therefore they can say the road opened 2 months ahead of schedule etc. The full route from KIlcullen to Waterford is due for 2010 along with most of the other HQDC / motorways to Limerick Galway and Cork.
    http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KildareCountyCouncil/N9N10CarlowBypass/SchemeName,9829,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I actually heard the Carlow bypass would be open before Xmas! My sources are clearly very unreliable!

I actually heard the Carlow bypass would be open before Xmas! My sources are clearly very unreliable!

Even if they were working 24/7 they wouldnt have it open by xmas!

• Advertisement

Even if they were working 24/7 they wouldnt have it open by xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Don1,

bad news, it by-passes Carlow but not Castledermot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

Oilrig wrote:
    Don1,

bad news, it by-passes Carlow but not Castledermot...
    doesnt that bypass in 2010 goes pass there? or my source like wheres me jumpas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I heard that too and it would start at Prumplestown Cross (Castledermot) and come out at Milford...

ah ye can't beat Castledermot traffic & roadworks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

umm i also heard that the section from outside carlow town to that point at tinryland gaa club would be open by x mas!!! @ wheresmejumpa i wonder do we have the same useless source of info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

racso1975 wrote: »
    umm i also heard that the section from outside carlow town to that point at tinryland gaa club would be open by x mas!!! @ wheresmejumpa i wonder do we have the same useless source of info

it looks possible judging by the work theyve done so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭sk8board

At the south side of the town, the junction where the by-pass will rejoin the road to Kilkenny (junction 6) is not remotely finished. Theres not a hint of an exit being constructed, and the general flow of traffic has never been obstructed. I can't see it being open for christmas, although i've heard the same rumour.

That said, as you pass the entrance to the landfill you can see the new road very much exists, so not long now.........

I read it in the Nationalist yesterday that it will be open end Nov early dec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sk8board wrote: »
    At the south side of the town, the junction where the by-pass will rejoin the road to Kilkenny (junction 6) is not remotely finished. Theres not a hint of an exit being constructed, and the general flow of traffic has never been obstructed. I can't see it being open for christmas, although i've heard the same rumour.

That said, as you pass the entrance to the landfill you can see the new road very much exists, so not long now.........

they built the castledermot end of it right behind my parents place and I don't exactly remember how long it took to get it built.. but it was pretty damn quick. There's sign posts up and everything.

Don1 wrote: »
    no idea. Just looking forward to not having any reason to go through Castledermot any more tbh!

that's the kind of thing a man might take personally....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

lucylu wrote: »

If that's true, it's terrific news. Have you a link?

Thanks lucylu! Although they refer to it as the "Waterford and Wexford bypass".

Mordeth wrote: »
    There's sign posts up and everything.

There's a lot of discussion as to whether it's supposed to be a motorway or dual carriageway. It all hangs on this: what colour are the signs? Green or blue?

green

Mordeth wrote: »
    green

Thanks Mordeth!

So it will be a dual carriageway with 100 km/h speed limits, rather than a motorway with 120 km/h limits.

Either way though, it will make the Dublin-Waterford journey a lot easier, especially at peak times. It will be good for Carlow too... make it even nicer than it already is!

Still though, I got to like Carlow on the way through when I was living in Dublin... stopping at the Statoil on the Dublin road on the way in, for an ice cream... the odd Abrakebabra stop when hungry... checking out the students between the Hanover bridge and CW IT...

Won't miss the queues starting out at Lapple heading south on a Friday evening though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

fricatus wrote: »
    Thanks Mordeth!

So it will be a dual carriageway with 100 km/h speed limits, rather than a motorway with 120 km/h limits.

Either way though, it will make the Dublin-Waterford journey a lot easier, especially at peak times. It will be good for Carlow too... make it even nicer than it already is!

Still though, I got to like Carlow on the way through when I was living in Dublin... stopping at the Statoil on the Dublin road on the way in, for an ice cream... the odd Abrakebabra stop when hungry... checking out the students between the Hanover bridge and CW IT...

Won't miss the queues starting out at Lapple heading south on a Friday evening though!

only a matter of time before all HQDC's are 120 Km/h just like this bypass

I read in the Times today (sorry no link), that the bypass is being held up because some developer is not getting a right-of-way?

Sorry now, because I'm sure I have that ar$eways... can anyone fill us in on what's actually happening?

fricatus wrote: »
    I read in the Times today (sorry no link), that the bypass is being held up because some developer is not getting a right-of-way?

Sorry now, because I'm sure I have that ar$eways... can anyone fill us in on what's actually happening?

Wher ein the Time swas that? I didnt see it. Was it about the carlow Bypass or the N9 motorway as a whole. As far as I am aware the road is on schedule for next year and it looks like it too.

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Wher ein the Time swas that? I didnt see it. Was it about the carlow Bypass or the N9 motorway as a whole. As far as I am aware the road is on schedule for next year and it looks like it too.

Yesterday's paper (Wed 14 Nov), and it was a small article on maybe page 4 or 5 (you know, one of the small ones in the sidebar). It specifically mentioned Carlow and a "bypass", but I don't know if it said anything about the N9. Maybe there's a smaller relief road being built in the town and that's what it's about?

Sorry I can't remember any more details...

Have it here it says that the construction company has claimed that the final section of the bypass is been delayed by Carlow County Council because of its insistence that an unsafe access be provided to a landowner. Nesselside Builders Ltd, owned by Sean McLoughlin also claims a Carlow County Council offical Seamus O'Connor Has made threats to damage his business.

Interesting. Sounds like the kids are unhappy in CCC.

...Carlow County Council ... insistence that an unsafe access be provided to a landowner...

Do Carlow CC have any right to provide access to this bypass? I thought it was the NRA's area of responsibility, and that they, naturally enough, would only allow the planned three junctions (because the plan is to eventually redesignate the road as a motorway).

Just an update on my last post. I think this road refers to the inner relief road not the bypass. As Mcloughlans (Dinn Ri) Are building that not the bypass. It was in the Nationalist again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

i tell ya carlow with bypasses, inner relief roads what will be next?

i tell ya carlow with bypasses, inner relief roads what will be next?

Well I saw today coming through the town, that there's a place called "Shamrock Plaza" being built. Lovely Irish-American "forty shades of green" sound to that! :D

Just an update on my last post. I think this road refers to the inner relief road not the bypass. As Mcloughlans (Dinn Ri) Are building that not the bypass. It was in the Nationalist again this week.

Good. The idea of "access issues" to what's supposed in future to be a motorway would be too much to bear on a Sunday evening in winter!

Having driven by there today, I can't see it being open in the next 2-3 weeks. There still seems to be loads left to do. However, the sign put up by the NRA said late 2008. That seems like an exaggeration in the opposite direction.

Any (reliable) updates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

I had a look from one of the bridges down on the road before the catledermot exit and it looks almost ready to go. On the KK side there are in the middle of building a roundy next to the road, left heading south, and have lots of tarmac for the exit laid.
    They did complete the Castledermot ramps, signage and roads in no time there a few months back, so I can't see that it won't be open in the next month or so.
    The new road will run from the landfill site on the south of Carlow to just before Castledermot. The resaon for not bypassing CastleD on this section is because the route heads cross country for a while after Castledermot, heading to Kilkullen and won't have a chance to intersect the main road for a while. Castledermot is in for an awful pounding when all this happens because with no queueing for Carlow all that traffic will arrive on Castledermont, to a roundabout, at once. We'll then have a roundabout, with Carlow traffic on one entrance and waterford traffic from another all queueing to going though the new, narrow road though CastleD.

I think I'll be bringing my coffee in the car with me to work!!!, and maybe a bowl of crunchy nut.... I'll have the time to eat em anyways!! :o

Advertisement