Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Carlow Bypass-when will it open?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

ShayK1 wrote: »
    yeah that's true too. Guess we'll just have to wait and see

exactly roll on opening date, whenever that may be...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its done I take it from Dublin to Carlow and the next stretch is underway? I ask cause I saw it on my way to Dublin yesterday and I could see big sections complete in Carlow and other sections all a dirt track as it is like down in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

that would make too much sense!!!

Its done from the dump on the kilkenny road to Castledermot. The Next phase will be from castledermot to kilcullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Wonder when they'll bypass Fenagh and speed up my commute. 25mins is a joke....... :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

that would make too much sense!!!

Its done from the dump on the kilkenny road to Castledermot. The Next phase will be from castledermot to kilcullen.

Where else is done? Anywhere up by Dublin?

Is Castledermot the place where there is a big roundabout that splits of into two (closed) roads which merge onto the new road? If coming from Dublin just as you get to Carlow there was a big roundabout and signs up for the new road, and you could see one stretch done (towards Waterford) and the other stretch (towards Dublin) not done. If you travel further down towards Waterford you get a great view of the road and it looks good before you eventually loose sight. Then you get down past Carlow and you see the work is on the bridges/over head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sully wrote: »

Is Castledermot the place where there is a big roundabout that splits of into two (closed) roads which merge onto the new road? If coming from Dublin just as you get to Carlow there was a big roundabout and signs up for the new road, and you could see one stretch done (towards Waterford) and the other stretch (towards Dublin) not done. If you travel further down towards Waterford you get a great view of the road and it looks good before you eventually loose sight. Then you get down past Carlow and you see the work is on the bridges/over head.

Sully, the whole thing is being done in four sections. North to south, they are:
    1. End of the current M9 at Kilcullen to the start of the Carlow bypass just after Castledermot (remember we're travelling Dublin-Waterford here). This bit has just started if I'm not wrong.
    2. The Carlow bypass - nearly finished as we're discussing.
    3. From the other end of the Carlow bypass, a new section has just started which will pass near Paulstown, south of Kilkenny, crossing the N10 (KK-Waterford) at Danesfort (you can see the fences and compound now), and then finishing at Knocktopher in KK.
    4. The last bit is due to be finished in Spring 2009 according to the big sign and picks up where we finished in Knocktopher and runs all the way to Waterford. Those big pillars at Knockmoylan (the twisty bit before the railway bridge as you approach Mullinavat) are part of this one. You can see the works near Knocktopher if you head into the village on the main road from KK and then turn right at the bottom of the main street (passing the petrol station and hotel on your right).

I think the last little bit in the Waterford area is being done under the N25 contract (Kilmeaden to Slieverue via the new bridge), but it will all tie together anyway, as far as I know.

Sully wrote: »

No, castledermot is the last village you come through before you get to carlow. The roundabout you're talking about sounds like the one at the Carlow Business Park or whatever that place is called out there. Castledermot is about 4 miles BEFORE that (coming from dublin), about 2 miles after the Moone High Cross Inn??

The place I am on about is before the Fire Service (coming from Dublin). The place has changed so much its confusing to know where the hell I am. I was half asleep so I cant recall place names. I just remember getting to the roundabout and the roads to the right and left were I assume the bypass which looked completed on the Waterford side but nowhere near completion on the Dublin side. There were signs for Waterford etc. and I could have sworn I saw M1 on the new road from the distance viewing (the sign was facing as if you were driving to Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Click the link http://www.nra.ie/mapping/ and select '9' for the Route number

this will then show the individual projects and tby clicking further heir associated route maps can be displayed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Fire Service

you have lost me...

• Advertisement

Carlow has a fire service.. unless im mistaken and the big red vans and building is something else? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

yea the fire Station slap bang in the middle of the Carlow town....

The New motorway intersection is about 2KM south of Castledermot at Prumplestown and 8 Km from Carlow Town ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

It's definitely the new roundabout South of Castledermot Sully is on about. He's just a bit confused :)

Out there if you're coming from Dublin you have a construction site (Castlledermot - Kilcullen Motorway section) on your right hand side and you have the new Carlow By-pass on your left hand side of the roundabout.

Sully you would have traveled straight on here under the new flyover and drove on for another 2 - 3 kms before coming into Carlow. There is a batch of new roundabouts / development right on the edge of Carlow and that's why you are thinking the roundabout with the by-pass is so near the Red Trucks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The big day must be coming soon?:D
    This will be the first section of M- road in the south east region and the first section of the long awaited Waterford-Dublin motorway..kind of historic really

how often do you travel from Dublin to Waterford Sully?

Mostly by train. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

according to this chap in commuting and transport its july
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55597733&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

According to the Carlow Nationalist it will open in the 1st or 2nd week in May
    =========================================================

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhsncwcw&cat=news

Bypass scheduled to open in May but will Dempsey do the honours?
    By: Suzanne Pender

TRAFFIC gridlock into Carlow town should soon become a dim and distant memory with the opening of the Carlow Bypass now just weeks away.

Carlow County Council confirmed this week that the bypass will open “on the first or second week in May”, well ahead of schedule.

“It’s almost ready to open and we would expect it to be the first or second week in May,” said Director of Services John Carley.

However just who will perform that official opening remains a mystery, councillors joked at Monday’s meeting of the local authority.

With the prospect of a cabinet reshuffle looming large, current Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey’s diary is anything but certain with Brian Cowen poised to become Taoiseach.

However the smart money would still have Minister Dempsey taking a trip to Carlow as Transport Minister in May to finally ease the frustrations of Dublin to Waterford travellers.

The 19km of high-quality dual carriage-way will bypass the town of Carlow with three grade-separated junctions at Powerstown (N9), Rathcrogue (N80) and Prumplestown (N9).

The bypass consists of 11 road bridges, one river crossing, one rail crossing as well as a pedestrian cyclist underpass at Rathcrogue, thus allowing access to Tinryland GAA Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

A lorry had a nice slip on the roundabout near the dump recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

did any one ever hear of fairy tales?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Well the CastleD side looks just about done now. They look like ther're doing the last little bit of landscaping. Anti skid surfaces are down and I noticed 3 road cleaners up on the main carriageways yesterday.

I was thinking though, The main road to Carlow from Castledermot will now become an Rxxx road so will that mean a steed limit drop to 80K's?? That'll be a pain. :(

Good point, that will be a pain. As I drive from Kilkenny to Carlow, where will be the last exit for Carlow Town? Near the dump?

Good point, that will be a pain. As I drive from Kilkenny to Carlow, where will be the last exit for Carlow Town? Near the dump?

I don't think the trip from Kilkenny to carlow will change? The new road starts at the dump and heads across to the wexford road and then heads to castledermot so unless you join the new road and get off on the wexford road and take the wexford road into Carlow, I don't think you'll be on the new road at all. You'll just drive over it and head on in the old kilkenny road.

Correct??

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I don't think the trip from Kilkenny to carlow will change? The new road starts at the dump and heads across to the wexford road and then heads to castledermot so unless you join the new road and get off on the wexford road and take the wexford road into Carlow, I don't think you'll be on the new road at all. You'll just drive over it and head on in the old kilkenny road.

Correct??

Travelling from Kilkenny you can

a; take up the new road at the dump and exit at Rathcrogue to be 2 km from east and south side of town

b; stay on old road to be on west/north side of town.

davidoco wrote: »
    Travelling from Kilkenny you can

a; take up the new road at the dump and exit at Rathcrogue to be 2 km from east and south side of town

b; stay on old road to be on west/north side of town.

Which is what I said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Any news on an exact opening date for this yet. It must be finished by now, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

bottletops wrote: »
    Well the CastleD side looks just about done now. They look like ther're doing the last little bit of landscaping. Anti skid surfaces are down and I noticed 3 road cleaners up on the main carriageways yesterday.

I was thinking though, The main road to Carlow from Castledermot will now become an Rxxx road so will that mean a steed limit drop to 80K's?? That'll be a pain. :(

And no doubt our good friends the Gardai, will be on it regularly.
    Its funny, for years, it was 60mph/100 kmph and now in 2008, it will go back to 80 kmph, makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I have heard from a v reliable source at Ascon that there is going to be a delay to the road opening. At least a few months.

Apparently there are ducts running under the road to carry wiring and pips etc. They have not been able to feed pipes thought the ducts because of some sort of blockage. They have now resorted to drilling holes into the ducts from the road resulting in 7K's of holes 3 meters apart on a section of the road!! :eek:

I take it that what I've been told is pretty accurate but as always there may be more to this than I'm told?? Anyway that's the latest I've heard. Not happy news eh!!!

Correct??

Yeah thats correct. I was just wondering were there are any further exits, i.e. other than the wexford and castledermot roads.

So looks like this road will have no impact on me whatsoever! boo-urns!

• Advertisement

Yeah thats correct. I was just wondering were there are any further exits, i.e. other than the wexford and castledermot roads.

So looks like this road will have no impact on me whatsoever! boo-urns!

it SHOULD make traffic on the carlow - kilkenny road much lighter, I mean the section from the dump to Carlow town.... the rest will be the same.

Advertisement