Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Carlow Bypass-when will it open?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

muggyog wrote: »
    it was bypassed (and the all lived happily ever after)!

it's not bypassed yet

I seriously doubt that is quicker than sitting through traffice in Castledermot?

it is, only adds about 5 mins on to the normal journey regardless , you could be in traffic for a lot longer than that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I seriously doubt that is quicker than sitting through traffice in Castledermot?

You'd be surprised...

you can also take the 2nd left after the Apline filling station and if you know where you're going you'll come into carlow through Pal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Just seems a good way out of town.

I know the way through Pal, what I used to do when commuting from Dublin was take the last left before Carlow and across Pal and Tinryland then into Leighlinbridge.

Hows the road holding up in the torrential rain?!

Just seems a good way out of town.

By my calculations its an extra 4km

the new N9 is on google maps now too btw :)

has it increased to 120kph now, i see the M signs are not rubbed out anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Can someone confirm that the 100 Km/H signs have been replaced with 120 Km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Drove the road again last night, remains 100Kmph. It wont change to 120 until the reclassification has gone through. Will be another while yet.

and it definitely says M9 the feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Drove the new bypass yesterday. It has all the blue motorway signs, but is still 100kmph.

Having said that, its a bit sneaky. There were only two 100kmph signs along the entire stretch of 'motorway' heading southbound...and the Gardai were speed-trapping.

When I drove onto the road at first, I assumed it was 120kmph becuase of the M9 and blue motorway signs. I think other people would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

was talking to an engineer about the new bypass, its technically a national road still( so provies you can drive on it without getting caught out) the highest a national road can go is 100 km/ph. it is likely it will not change to a motorway status until it has bypassed, the beautiful bottle neck that is our favorite, castledermot.
    hope this helps all,
    btw, beautiful road, went out on it, 2 days after it opened.... first time i really got to open up my car in ages, did at cops break time so they wouldnt be out there...

• Advertisement

aynon wrote: »
    was talking to an engineer about the new bypass, its technically a national road still( so provies you can drive on it without getting caught out) the highest a national road can go is 100 km/ph. it is likely it will not change to a motorway status until it has bypassed, the beautiful bottle neck that is our favorite, castledermot.
    hope this helps all,
    btw, beautiful road, went out on it, 2 days after it opened.... first time i really got to open up my car in ages, did at cops break time so they wouldnt be out there...

I agree with you. I dont think they will allow 120 even after the classification process goes through as its only 18Km of a road. I think once Kilcullen to Carlow and Carlow to Knocktopher are built then it will go 120. I just dont see the point, but they should really just take down the blue signs to avoid confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

fitzyshea wrote: »
    I agree with you. I dont think they will allow 120 even after the classification process goes through as its only 18Km of a road. I think once Kilcullen to Carlow and Carlow to Knocktopher are built then it will go 120. I just dont see the point, but they should really just take down the blue signs to avoid confusion.

Don't be mad. The existing M9 is 4km long. The existing M11, before the M50 Southern Cross was built, was about 5km in total. Both of these roads had, and continue to have, 120kmph limits.

well the blue sign on the kilkenny side is blacked out lat time i checked, but the new road is apparently is only a year from completetion for castle dermot, fairytales any one, so once that opens we be all flying to dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have used it and its a great road. Where will it connect finally on the dublin side ?

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I have used it and its a great road. Where will it connect finally on the dublin side ?

It will join up with the existing M9 at kilcullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Around 2 years from now. 2010. Good progress being made already though..

i must say coming from the KK direction and using the bypass and taking the first exit of it is very handy when going to the top end of town askea etc..

Ive seen the Guards twice in the last week on the old Kilkenny road before the dump. As I dont use the bypass to get to work, its actually slowing me down now!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Has anyone measured the distance from roundabout to roundabout going through Carlow to compare it to the same on the bypass.
    I've been on the bypass a few time now and it seems really long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

dougal wrote: »
    Has anyone measured the distance from roundabout to roundabout going through Carlow to compare it to the same on the bypass.
    I've been on the bypass a few time now and it seems really long!

Of course the bypass is longer in distance. The old road was in essence a straight line, the bypass is a semi-circle.

• Advertisement

whats the story with the works after the roundabouts castledermot side towards carlow, are the widening the road there, making a footpath or what?

patrickc wrote: »
    whats the story with the works after the roundabouts castledermot side towards carlow, are the widening the road there, making a footpath or what?

Wideing the road as its too narrow and footpath i think as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

Where will the castledermot by-pass join back to the current road at the Dublin side? Is is at the Priory pub (I notice there are road-works there at the moment), or what is the expected open date on that part? Looks a good year away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

sk8board wrote: »
    Where will the castledermot by-pass join back to the current road at the Dublin side? Is is at the Priory pub (I notice there are road-works there at the moment), or what is the expected open date on that part? Looks a good year away

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KildareCountyCouncil/N9N10KilcullentoCarlow/Map,15103,en.pdf

due to finish Q3/Q4 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I heard that there contractor was making excellent progress and didn't hit much rock or hardship and that he has to lay off hundreds of workers for a few weeks as there is no money left in the honey jar

ah lols, the for sight of our councils....

Truck over turned at the dump roundabout this morning. Kinda weird driving by and looking at the under carraig of a truck, cant believe thats what we look like inside!

scarred much?

aynon wrote: »
    scarred much?

Yes, yes I was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

Will the Carlow to Castledermot section open earlier than the Q3/Q4 '10 completion date, just like the Carlow by-pass section? Looks like good progress being made

Advertisement