Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin flags around Croker

Options
  • 19-08-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭

Who put up all those Dublin flags on the lampposts and signs in the area south of Croker?

Hard to believe, but it makes these areas look worse. Like some sort of attempt to mark territory like they do in the north.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zebra3 wrote:
    Who put up all those Dublin flags on the lampposts and signs in the area south of Croker?

Hard to believe, but it makes these areas look worse. Like some sort of attempt to mark territory like they do in the north.
    It could be worse - Shelbourne FC flags! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It could be worse - Shelbourne FC flags! :eek: :D

That'd double the price of property down that way. ;)

Seriously, have you seen the state of the place with all the flags?

Zebra3 wrote:
    Seriously, have you seen the state of the place with all the flags?
    No, I haven't been in that way in a while but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think it creates a bit of atmosphere and it's only for a short while. County flags are fairly scarce in Dublin compared to other counties in the latter stages of the championship. Anyway, they could be out of it next Sunday! :eek:

and it's only for a short while.

For some reason I have a feeling they're there to stay.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Nah as a resident of the area , there there for the football championship and then they'll go. I've a Cork one for our House!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They're fond of their flags in this area and saying this as a resident.
    Before the general election there were absolutly loads of red Labour flags and I didn't see this in other areas of Dublin.

Sean McDermott St is a great example of a street with flags at the moment.
    Happens every year- adds a bit of colour to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I'm sure the Meath fans have already seen to their removal today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNfscY1Vg4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nah as a resident of the area , there there for the football championship and then they'll go. I've a Cork one for our House!

And your thinking of buying in Rutland St.?

Raize your new house to da ground I say :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Zebra3 wrote:

A local of that area, spent money from his own pocket to do it too.

It's nothing to do with marking territories, there are already clear boundries, it's how we have counties. It's to support the Dublin team during the championship. I take it you are not a GAA fan?

Me and my family are fellow Redsmen, when Shels get into a cup final or when they played Depor and Lille a few years back we put red and white flags and buntings up outside our house and my uncle who lives not too far away did the same, do you think it made our area look worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

whats wrong with flying dublin flags in dublin, our own county is doing well in the all ireland so we should be proud and getting behind them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Zebra3 wrote:

You know in Kerry and Kilkenny they paint entire houses when the championship throws in?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In Tipperary, if a parish has a player in the county team, we write their name and messages of support in paint across the main road.

Not as impressive as the Kerrymen painting their houses though-now that's class!

Anto McC wrote:
    A local of that area, spent money from his own pocket to do it too.

Did he get permision to put them up on public property? What happens if they snap and injure someone?
    Anto McC wrote:
    It's nothing to do with marking territories, there are already clear boundries, it's how we have counties. It's to support the Dublin team during the championship. I take it you are not a GAA fan?

Nope.
    Anto McC wrote:
    Me and my family are fellow Redsmen, when Shels get into a cup final or when they played Depor and Lille a few years back we put red and white flags and buntings up outside our house and my uncle who lives not too far away did the same, do you think it made our area look worse?
    catch--22 wrote:
    You know in Kerry and Kilkenny they paint entire houses when the championship throws in?!

Your own property, your own business imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Jesus Zebra,

I am a Rovers fan in boycott of all things bogball related over their disgraceful behaviour in going to the high court to block our stadium being built, but you are a couple of yards offside here.

We have scarce enough community spirit in Dublin these days without objecting to a few flags to commerate a local team doing well, even if they are evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Zebra3 wrote:
    What happens if they snap and injure someone?

He got public liability insurance out for them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I honestly don't see the issue here. It's a bit of support for the county team. Gives the area a bit of colour and adds to the atmosphere in a build-up to a big game. Happened during the World Cup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It's no different to any other county around the country, or any country at all. You'll see flags of local teams in other counties and countries in the same way. Come the likes of the World Cup, the Irish flags appear everywhere. This is just the same. As to Meath fans removing them, coming out of Croke Park last Sunday they all had their heads down, so wouldn't have even noticed them. :)

Flukey wrote:
    As to Meath fans removing them, coming out of Croke Park last Sunday they all had their heads down, so wouldn't have even noticed them. :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Zebra3 wrote:
    Did he get permision to put them up on public property? What happens if they snap and injure someone?

Ah, i see another person has been bitten by the lawsuit bug.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill! Really can't see the issue here, its showing support for a team doing well in the championship. I'm not a big GAA supporter (really only ever watch the championship to be honest) but its nice to see a community getting behind a team.

Seriously zebra3, what is the problem? get over it, its harmless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Jesus Zebra,

I am a Rovers fan in boycott of all things bogball related over their disgraceful behaviour in going to the high court to block our stadium being built, but you are a couple of yards offside here.

We have scarce enough community spirit in Dublin these days without objecting to a few flags to commerate a local team doing well, even if they are evil.

I'll put one up for Dublin vs Kerry in our window. Dislike Kerry, we want an all-ireland, not another munster final!

Nothing wrong with county pride. In Cork we paint our silage bales in the county colours!

• Advertisement

Dislike Kerry..... .........Nothing wrong with county pride
    Nothing wrong with County pride Mrs MacGyver but it isn't very sporting to state that you "dislike" another County!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Nothing wrong with County pride Mrs MacGyver but it isn't very sporting to state that you "dislike" another County!

Nah, that's what it's all about. The competitiveness and the rivalry between teams and supporters are a huge part of team sports. "Dislike" is about as sporting as it gets. I'm sure I can think of a few other words to describe my feelings towards Meath! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I was in Drogheda at the weekend and spotted a Meath AND a Cork flag flying from a public lamp post!!! Bloody disgrace...don't know what the world is coming to!

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Last time I put up flags was when El Papa, was doing his big gig in the Park ('79?).
    It was not by choice - either I put them up on my house or the neighbours would come in and do it for me.

Cant see a problem though if people want to do it. Once they do it right and dont cause hassle for anyone else it's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

catch--22 wrote:
    I was in Drogheda at the weekend and spotted a Meath AND a Cork flag flying from a public lamp post!!! Bloody disgrace...don't know what the world is coming to!
    ;)

Seeing as Drogheda is on the Louth-Meath border, is it possible it could have been a Louth flag??? They did have a good run in the championship this year... ;)

Seeing as Drogheda is on the Louth-Meath border, is it possible it could have been a Louth flag??? They did have a good run in the championship this year... ;)

Well two replays against the giants of Wicklow made that run seem a bit longer :p

Advertisement