Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed increases?

Options
  • 19-08-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Just wondering if there are any speed increases on the way for us DSL users languishing at 3mbs for the princely sum of ~€50 pm when are European counterparts are blazing away at 8mbs for less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Not that anyone knows of yet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Just wondering if there are any speed increases on the way for us DSL users languishing at 3mbs for the princely sum of ~€50 pm when are European counterparts are blazing away at 8mbs for less.

3mb to a French man is worse than dial-up!

"Why doz it take 1/5th zecond four my zite to load?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

6meg here from NTL. Max out at about 718KB/s - Tis decent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

College spoiled me. I think I was getting around 70mbps at times. Now I'm on 1mbps eircom. It sucks balls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon there will be nothing happening till at least next year sometime if at all, we got no upgrade this year at all from Eircom, we got upgrade to 3mb way back in January 2006 which was great back then but now heading into 2008 the rest of the world has passed us out by miles and the 3mb now doesnt seem so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Eircom upgrade only came about as a reaction to Smart.
    They probably don't see the need since so many people who can get faster providers like Smart choose to stay with Eircom. The mind boggles.
    173512270.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

spurious wrote:
    They probably don't see the need since so many people who can get faster providers like Smart choose to stay with Eircom. The mind boggles.
    173512270.png

The moment I can get smart eircom can kiss my as goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

spurious wrote:
    Correct, coupled with the fact that most phoneline wouldn't handle more that 3 meg.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Correct, coupled with the fact that most phoneline wouldn't handle more that 3 meg.

Does it cost much to enable an exchange with ADSL2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You would need different hardware (unless it is adsl2 capable and they are not using it).

I'm hoping (probably naively) that UPCs (Not NTLs) first increase will be soon and hopefully quite large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Fcuk all I'd imagine. Most, if not all, of their gear would be ADSL2 compatable so a firmware upgrade is all that would be required. All the resellers have also been supplying ADSL2 modems for at least 3 years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I heard a number of months back NTL were due to upgrade this summer, however this has come and gone so I'm doubting that now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Just looked at smart site now, had no idea they offered up to 7mb and still cheaper than whor€ircon's 3mb package. Anyone any experience with this?, reliable?, I think NTL is upgrading my area at the moment so I may try them, but DSL would be more convenient. Is smart available in the Drumcondra area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know someone off Griffith Avenue has it.
    I know there was a post here recently that listed all the Smart enabled exchanges, but I can't find it now.
    You can check here: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/howtoorder.html
    Rock-solid connection here (North Strand).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Cheers, will look into, was just worried about transition time going from €ircon to Smart i.e. would really not want to wait 2 weeks without the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Damn. Smart isn't available in Balbriggan! :mad:

kaizersoze wrote:
    Fcuk all I'd imagine. Most, if not all, of their gear would be ADSL2 compatable so a firmware upgrade is all that would be required. All the resellers have also been supplying ADSL2 modems for at least 3 years.

So why don't eircom upgrade the exchanges? Are they deliberately trying to piss people off?

So why don't eircom upgrade the exchanges? Are they deliberately trying to piss people off?

Deliberately trying to save money. They are six billion euro in debt after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

I don't think that most of eircom's kit is ADSL2 capable - at least half of it probably is not if you think that they started rolling out DSL in earnest 4 or 5 years ago (before ADSL2 kit was the norm). So any upgrade to ADSL2 (or ADSL2+ more likely) would require new kit and re-jumpering of customers. So it's not as cheap as is being suggested above.

Still - I do know that they are planning a 12Mbps service for launch some time in the new year in the main Dublin exchanges (it's on trial now). The product will be aimed at Business users, but of course there is nothing to stop any user buying it if your line qualifies.

I understand that they they plan to upgrade their 3 and 4 Mbps products a few months later.

Deliberately trying to save money. They are six billion euro in debt after all.
    Are they really that much in debt? I didn't think it was that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I remember kaizersoze posting about this, and I was also of the idea that the majority of DSLAM equipment would only need a firmware upgrade to handle ADSL2+. Remember that virtually all of the DSLAMs outside of Dublin were put there in 2003 or later, the year ADSL2+ was finalised.

Manufacturers were aware of its developments before that, and I expect they tried to make their equipment future-proof, much like the way there are HSDPA 3G modems out there, which can be upgraded for a faster version of HSDPA or HSUPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've been travelling around the world since the start of the year and I've experienced true broadband!

24mbit in Sydney roughtly the same in Melbourne
    10 x 10 mbit on a number of occasions in Japan
    10 + mbit in a few homes in South Korea (48mbit in one net cafe)
    8mbit in NZ
    5 + mbit in China!!!
    Upto 3x3 in parts of South America...

I can't believe I'm going to get back to Ireland at the end of the year with 3mbit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

If you need that sort of 'speed' you don't need DSL...

In 1997, Telecom Éireann classed anyone using the net more than one hour a day as 'a heavy user'.
    They have always had their finger on the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

spurious wrote:
    In 1997, Telecom Éireann classed anyone using the net more than one hour a day as 'a heavy user'.
    They have always had their finger on the pulse.
    Eircom did have their finger on the pulse back then, back then someone who used more than an hour a day was a heavy user. Most people wouldn't have used to for much more than just email and some surfing. There wasn't things like youtube and bebo back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The moment I can get smart eircom can kiss my as goodbye.

I have Smart in Sligo, The Rathedmond exchange, got the 6 Mb package and very fast, no contention.

Eircom did have their finger on the pulse back then, back then someone who used more than an hour a day was a heavy user. Most people wouldn't have used to for much more than just email and some surfing. There wasn't things like youtube and bebo back then.

:confused:
    It took 15 minutes to download a 1MB file though - those sort of speeds kept you online for a while.

For an internet user, phone bills of IR£700 were not unusual back then.
    Of course now I have left that shower and pay hardly anything for faster speeds and unlimited downloads on Smart. If others would do the same maybe Eircom would lift their game, but as I said before, while people who can get faster and cheaper suppliers choose to stay with Eircom, there is no impetus for them to provide a better service.

Eircom/Telecom Éireann, had they had any vision whatsoever, would have foreseen the demise of landline services and the rise in on-demand TV - they could have invested all that line rental in a fibre optic network and right now rivalled Sky and NTL as a premier entertainment provider, but no, they thought 'sure what would ye be doing on the internet for more than an hour a day?'

spurious wrote:
    :confused:
    It took 15 minutes to download a 1MB file though - those sort of speeds kept you online for a while.

For an internet user, phone bills of IR£700 were not unusual back then.
    Of course now I have left that shower and pay hardly anything for faster speeds and unlimited downloads on Smart. If others would do the same maybe Eircom would lift their game, but as I said before, while people who can get faster and cheaper suppliers choose to stay with Eircom, there is no impetus for them to provide a better service.

Eircom/Telecom Éireann, had they had any vision whatsoever, would have foreseen the demise of landline services and the rise in on-demand TV - they could have invested all that line rental in a fibre optic network and right now rivalled Sky and NTL as a premier entertainment provider, but no, they thought 'sure what would ye be doing on the internet for more than an hour a day?'

Pffft! If smart rolled out their broadband in more exchanges more people would. (Me included)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 singularity

Pffft! If smart rolled out their broadband in more exchanges more people would. (Me included)

Hear! Hear!

• Advertisement

dingding wrote:
    I have Smart in Sligo, The Rathedmond exchange, got the 6 Mb package and very fast, no contention.

I think it says I'm on the HPO exchange when I checked on their website. It said it would contact me when it's enabled. Hopefully soon.

Advertisement