Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed increases?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pffft! If smart rolled out their broadband in more exchanges more people would. (Me included)

Why do you think Smart encounter difficulties getting their equipment into Eircom's exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

because it would be stupid of eircom as a company to make it easy for them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Xennon wrote:
    because it would be stupid of eircom as a company to make it easy for them

Welcome to LLU - Irish style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

spurious wrote:
    :confused:
    It took 15 minutes to download a 1MB file though - those sort of speeds kept you online for a while.

For an internet user, phone bills of IR£700 were not unusual back then.
    Of course now I have left that shower and pay hardly anything for faster speeds and unlimited downloads on Smart. If others would do the same maybe Eircom would lift their game, but as I said before, while people who can get faster and cheaper suppliers choose to stay with Eircom, there is no impetus for them to provide a better service.
    You must have been an exceptionally heavy user because most people simply would not have used it as much back then. Most business's hadn't realised its potential yet and most home users wouldn't have had much to do.
    Eircom/Telecom Éireann, had they had any vision whatsoever, would have foreseen the demise of landline services and the rise in on-demand TV - they could have invested all that line rental in a fibre optic network and right now rivalled Sky and NTL as a premier entertainment provider, but no, they thought 'sure what would ye be doing on the internet for more than an hour a day?'
    Back then Telecom Eireann were a company owned by the Irish people and before they were flogged off to investors who were there to strip assests. Telecom Eireann did have one of the most up to date infrastructures in the world during the 80s and most of the 90s. The Telecom Eireann company you mention of in 1997 were not the same as the Eircom of today, simply because the bosses today are there to assest strip rather than make a viable telecoms company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think it says I'm on the HPO exchange when I checked on their website. It said it would contact me when it's enabled. Hopefully soon.

The HPO exchange is the one behind the post office in o'connell st.

HPO = Head Post Office, services cartron, town centre and most of the older phones in Sligo.

Not sure how quickly they plan to update this exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dingding wrote:
    Not sure how quickly they plan to update this exchange.
    Aaaaahhhh nuts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would give anything to get Smart Broadband but unfortunately like almost every other exchange in the country with the exception of a handfull of lucky exchanges, we cant get anything other than eircom broadband and eircom's resellers. No cable in the area either and wireless is unstable and expensive for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Anyone migrate from eircom to smart broadband?, I'm curious as I would prefer not to be without the net for 15/20 days if possible and also I have Eircom phonewatch at home, would that be affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

Anyone migrate from eircom to smart broadband?, I'm curious as I would prefer not to be without the net for 15/20 days if possible and also I have Eircom phonewatch at home, would that be affected?
    I don't think you'd be without a line. The changeover happens when it happens and you continue to use your existing provider until it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Clash wrote:
    I don't think you'd be without a line. The changeover happens when it happens and you continue to use your existing provider until it does.
    Not the case with broadband unfortunately. The line must be clear of broadband before the transfer can go ahead. That means no BB in the interim. I'm not too sure how fast/slow the transfer time is at the moment but the last I heard it was 4 - 6 weeks. That may have come down recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

kaizersoze wrote:
    Not the case with broadband unfortunately. The line must be clear of broadband before the transfer can go ahead. That means no BB in the interim. I'm not too sure how fast/slow the transfer time is at the moment but the last I heard it was 4 - 6 weeks. That may have come down recently.

4-6 weeks!Well then no smart for me, I couldn't be without the net for that period of time, I'll give NTL a try.

It was about four hours for my brother when he switched at the start of the summer.

I've never heard of anyone else getting it that quickly - he couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Deliberately trying to save money. They are six billion euro in debt after all.
    Umm, WTF- that's total nonsense!!
    http://rte.ie/business/2007/0828/eircom.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

rc28 wrote:
    Umm, WTF- that's total nonsense!!
    http://rte.ie/business/2007/0828/eircom.html

Obviously you have never heard of loans! You pay them off in chunks not all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

spurious wrote:
    The Eircom upgrade only came about as a reaction to Smart.
    They probably don't see the need since so many people who can get faster providers like Smart choose to stay with Eircom. The mind boggles.
    173512270.png

Can you get this on an average phoneline?

I have Eircom at the moment.... but woah... I would pay for this!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

iRock wrote:
    Can you get this on an average phoneline?

I have Eircom at the moment.... but woah... I would pay for this!

If you're exchange is adsl2 then yes.

If you're exchange is adsl2 then yes.

How can I find out that?

I would guess that mine is though. Its the Crown Alley exchange, Dame St.

That would serve Trinity College and alot of Businesses.

iRock wrote:
    How can I find out that?

I would guess that mine is though. Its the Crown Alley exchange, Dame St.

That would serve Trinity College and alot of Businesses.

Smart and magnet do adsl2. Check you're number with them (through their website) and see what they say. If magnet says you're able for broadband basic then I'm pretty sure this means they don't have adsl2 in you're exchange. BT also have adsl2 enabled some exchanges but I don't know how you would find out.

Smart and magnet do adsl2. Check you're number with them (through their website) and see what they say. If magnet says you're able for broadband basic then I'm pretty sure this means they don't have adsl2 in you're exchange. BT also have adsl2 enabled some exchanges but I don't know how you would find out.

When I try it, it just tells me what exchange I'm on.

I think I'll give them a call after work, could be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

iRock wrote:
    When I try it, it just tells me what exchange I'm on.

I think I'll give them a call after work, could be worth it!

The Smart one should say if your exchange is enabled too. I'm on Crown alley and Smart is available (though I'm with NTL) so you should be able to get it.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote:
    The Smart one should say if your exchange is enabled too. I'm on Crown alley and Smart is available (though I'm with NTL) so you should be able to get it.

Sounds good.

I cant find the one for Smart. Can you send me a linK?

paulm17781 wrote:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055142508

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/howtoorder.html

Just stick your number in the box and you're flying. Make sure to put a - between the area code and number.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/howtoorder.html

Just stick your number in the box and you're flying. Make sure to put a - between the area code and number.

It just says that I am on the Crown Alley exchange. Nothing about ADSL2.

This is oK?

iRock wrote:

This is oK?

Does it say anything about being able to get broadband with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

iRock wrote:

This is oK?
    Smart do ADSL2+ only so if you're on a Smart exchange, thats what you'll be getting.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Smart do ADSL2+ only so if you're on a Smart exchange, thats what you'll be getting.

Woohoooo!

One problem... to get this I can only assume that I will have no internet at all for a few weeks or possibly a month when making the transition.

Is this true?

I don't know if I can do that :(

I may just have to get 6meg NTL if that is the case!

iRock wrote:
    Woohoooo!

One problem... to get this I can only assume that I will have no internet at all for a few weeks or possibly a month when making the transition.

Is this true?

I don't know if I can do that :(

I may just have to get 6meg NTL if that is the case!

Apparently so but I don't know for my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

spurious wrote: »
    Eircom/Telecom Éireann, had they had any vision whatsoever, would have foreseen the demise of landline services and the rise in on-demand TV

They did. The regulator wouldn't let them sell it though.

They had on demand TV up and running over DSL in 1998 on trial across Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom has intended to launch dsl+tv from day one. Thats correct.

eircom were not cooperating with the regulator ( ODTR) at the time on LLU and on Bitstream and on pretty well anything else so the then ODTR did not want them causing trouble in cable tv land on top of all that .

Advertisement