Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel length affect on velocity

Options
  • 19-08-2007 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Said I would mention it in case anyone was interested......

weird bit of coincidence after some of the peeps here discussing
    barrel length last week. There is an article in the shooting Times & country magazine (16th Aug) About barrel length affect on velocity on a full bore
    rifle. Next week that are trying the same thing on .22lr and .17hmr.

~B

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's always a balance.

On the one hand, a longer barrel provides more time for the gasses to expand and provide propulsion. On the other hand, it also allows more drag, and in extremis, if the barrel is so long that the gasses have run out of 'oomph', you end up with a vacuum effect behind the projectile which decelerates it.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think for .22lr 16" is the magic number where any increase in length doesn't give you any more velocity, it might make it more accurate but the powder is all gone at 16"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

CJhaughey wrote:
    I think for .22lr 16" is the magic number where any increase in length doesn't give you any more velocity, it might make it more accurate but the powder is all gone at 16"

It's not quite like that. The .22lr round reaches maximum velocity at 15". The powder is not all gone by then, and normally there will be a certain amount of unburnt powder exiting with the bullet.

There have been some cases of hoovers combusting after they were used in front of firing points. There was a case of spontaneous hoover combustion in Bisley some years ago. :D

Advertisement