Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your opinion please? A5/335

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

MarkN wrote:
    You're a wealth of info E92 and I mean that!

I had noticed the boost from the turbo is very slight alright, even the whoosh is very low - the S3 is the complete opposite, you couldn't BUT notice the whoosh of the turbo and it was something that had me hooked when I sat into the S3 last year.

I can't imagine tuning the BMW, I had no desire to in the S3 and the BM has even more horses.

A TINY little blip in my plan arrived this morning in the form of this which I am taking for a spin this evening but I think I am too set on the BMW..

richfordCAYSIL762.jpg

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=674488

nice blip mark ;) my choice if i had the cash, at least this way the yummy mummy in the 320i doesnt have the same car as you in the eyes of the uneducated (not that it matters but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Rear seats not an issue no..

It's a bit too much to change that's the only thing.

There's also an unreg Cayman on Carzone but not an S.

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=814172

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

You're up to S5 pricing there Mark, that out of the running now? Few Meteor Greys about Carzone, no Phantoms :(

Do ya know, I sorta forgot about the S5 now that you mention it.

It has just reminded me how much the Porsche actually is.

I would prefer an S5 to the Cayman I gotta say but the depreciation on the Porsche will be a lot less than the Audi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The black looks better, but like you said not an S. Not sure how it would hold its value tho, as like the Boxter, it's not a 911.

But then again if you're worried about losing money buying a brand new car is not the way to go.

A thought entered my head: if one was self-employed, would buying a brand new 90k Porsche make the taxman consider doing an audit, seeing as it's them who get the VAT and VRT from the sale (and therefore the owner's details)?

I think even Boxsters hold their value well in fairness to them, even the 2007 ones still go for decent money.

I'm not self employed but I suppose it depends what you have done in the past as regards paying tax :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

If it's not a 911 don't bother. Seriously...that thing they do on TG is true. If you pull up to the lights in that or a Boxster and there's a911 beside you you're just full of envy.

Beamers on the other hand...I can pull up beside a brand new 530i or something...or even a 645Ci and still get admiring glances for my older 325 Coup. True you might have the same outer shell as Katie in her swish new 4 pot 320i but when you blem past her with all exhausts blazing she'll know what's what ;)

Ok...after re-reading the above I might sound like a bit of a tool :o

Regardless...go for the BMW...it's a beauty, plus it'll be more practical in terms of boot space :)

CarLover wrote:
    my older 325 Coup.
    I've only one question: how many chickens can you fit in it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Do you think you could bring the S5, 335i and Cayman to a carpark Mark and we'll all give our opinion? Hell let's throw in a 911 and an RS4 too.

I'll bring nibbles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

JHMEG wrote:
    I've only one question: how many chickens can you fit in it?:D

3...two in the back and one in the front seat ;)

Cayman was a stunner.. What a beautiful looking car I think. The noise off it was just sublime.. Hit the S button and it gets louder and faster.. It just was begging to be pushed on. So so much money though...

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am a massive BMW fan in fact have a Z4 3.0si but the Porsche for me any day

CarLover wrote:
    3...two in the back and one in the front seat ;)

LOL! Very good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TCP/IP wrote:
    Porsche for me any day

There's a thought. When you're talking that kind of money, it's only a small step up to a (more serious than most people think) Porsche

The 335 has a lot more poke than either Cayman S or Boxster S. But the latter two are Porsches. The heart says: say no more!

The head agrees. Porsches enjoy glacial depreciation

The 335 only has 11bhp more than the Cayman S, not as much a difference as you would think. I just dunno. 79 thou was enough for me, now the bar has been raised to 92! I really can't afford to lose anymore hair due to this car induced stress :)

MarkN, a quick google shows the Cayman S is 1340Kg whilst the 335 is 1525Kg. That's a big difference, making the 335 13% heavier, and the Cayman quicker (and no doubt better balanced -- it's a Porsche).

As you probably have guessed I have no particular time for BMW, for whatever reason. But the Porsche. That's a different story. Not only does it have the badge, it's a bloody good car (but still not a 911:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

MarkN, so it topped out at 79k with your options? Out of interest, are you trading the S3?

Although I love Caymans, I couldn't spend 92k on a car here even if I had it, but that's more to do with not being a native of these shores (albeit now sort-of 'naturalised') as I'd be driving around thinking "this should only have been €64k" and weeping in between my smiles :rolleyes:

Great choice though, pics when delivered!

Gatser - can trade in the Audi against the BMW if I like yep - I'm getting the BMW through a VAG dealer.

Turns out after a call this morning that I can have a 2008 Audi S5 for the same money to change as the Cayman S. :confused:

I think 79k is a good enough price for what you are getting, but if you are going to move up to 92k-ish it would have to be the Cayman. Better residuals I'd imagine, and as much as the S5 is stunning, the Cayman is, as we all know, a Porsche...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

BMW
    CarLover wrote:
    If it's not a 911 don't bother. Seriously...that thing they do on TG is true. If you pull up to the lights in that or a Boxster and there's a911 beside you you're just full of envy.

Beamers on the other hand...I can pull up beside a brand new 530i or something...or even a 645Ci and still get admiring glances for my older 325 Coup. True you might have the same outer shell as Katie in her swish new 4 pot 320i but when you blem past her with all exhausts blazing she'll know what's what ;)

Ok...after re-reading the above I might sound like a bit of a tool :o

Regardless...go for the BMW...it's a beauty, plus it'll be more practical in terms of boot space :)

I agree - I'd rather go for a top-spec BMW than a poverty spec porsche

Although "but when you blem past her with all exhausts blazing she'll know what's what" - not really if you live in Dublin, you'll crawl along side by side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

BMW
    Mark based on prices I'd stick to the 335 - I mean spending €92k on a car in Dublin is IMHO crazy considering the traffic

I'm all about the luxury, aesthetics etc and if you had money to burn then buy you're porsche turbo etc but don't see the point stretching yourself financially just for a quicker car, where most of the time in Dublin you'd be crawling along at 50kph along with the ford fiestas

Just my 2c

Originally Posted by CarLover
    This is true, but it's a very UK-centric view IMO, I mean 911's aren't exactly littering the streets here. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I was next to one at the lights in Dublin. Sure, you see them around, but there's not that many of them relatively.

Wouldn't bother me, but then, obviously, if I did buy a Boxster (have considered one before), I'd almost certainly be sat next to a spanking new 997 C4S at the first set of lights :o !!! :o

I agree - I'd rather go for a top-spec BMW than a poverty spec porsche

Although "but when you blem past her with all exhausts blazing she'll know what's what" - not really if you live in Dublin, you'll crawl along side by side :D

In fairness now, it's no poverty spec anything, it's just not a 911. It is a fully loaded S model!

I just think it's a lot of money to have tied up in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MarkN wrote: »
    In fairness now, it's no poverty spec anything, it's just not a 911. It is a fully loaded S model!

Aye, but it'll stay tied up in the car rather than fall into the depreciation hole! :) (well, most of it).
    You need to drive that Porsche down a twisty back road to learn what's what!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MarkN wrote: »

Afraid I'd have to agree with the last comment! €92k is insane cash, no matter what way you look at it. I love cars as much as the next man, and would be sorely tempted to stretch to the beemer, but that kind of cash is on another planet to be honest...

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Afraid I'd have to agree with the last comment! €92k is insane cash, no matter what way you look at it. I love cars as much as the next man, and would be sorely tempted to stretch to the beemer, but that kind of cash is on another planet to be honest...
    It's all relative to your earnings. It's not unusual for people to put a year's salary into a new car, usually aided and abetted by finance companies.

Something else I only just noticed on this thread. There are people who love cars (me included) and then there are people that love new cars.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Afraid I'd have to agree with the last comment! 92k is insane cash, no matter what way you look at it. I love cars as much as the next man, and would be sorely tempted to stretch to the beemer, but that kind of cash is on another planet to be honest...

On the surface you are right. The way I look at it when going for a car is what is the cost of change. For me, the porsche is about 4 thou extra to change than the BMW and suddenly you forget about the 92 price tag. I reckon the car will lose 12k a year possibly but so will the 335. I'm also getting a price on a demo S5.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BMW
    JHMEG wrote: »
    It's all relative to your earnings. It's not unusual for people to put a year's salary into a new car, usually aided and abetted by finance companies.

really? I would have thought 50% was more of the standard? I know that is about all I felt I could afford to put in when buying last year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

JHMEG wrote: »

I know that, and I'm one of them! Most of my mates think I'm nuts with what I spend on cars but truth is I actually owe very little on my current one... through years of building up "equity"!

Advertisement