Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your opinion please? A5/335

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by JHMEG
    There are people who love cars (me included) and then there are people that love new cars.

(me included)
    Have very little interest in brand new cars, I just can't stomach the depreciation. Fair play if you can though, although I think there is a bit of an obsession in Ireland with new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jesus even 50% is an awful lot, i really love cars and change mine every 9-12 months but mine is worth about a quarter of my salary and i only have finance in half of it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

I think he just meant if you earn 50k a year that someone wouldn't have a problem borrowing 50k over 4 or 5 years.

ah, makes more sense i spose :)

anyway mark are we back to square one again !! :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    ah, makes more sense i spose :)

anyway mark are we back to square one again !! :D

Ha.. I have no idea mate :) I suppose the S5 has been ruled in but at the end of the day, I will be very happy with a 335 should that be the car I get.

• Advertisement

and so you should be its a cracker :D must be some decision to make, im the same when looking at cars, wake up at 4 in the morning and start scouring the net cos i cant sleep :)

you cant lose either way imo, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkN wrote:
    The 335 only has 11bhp more than the Cayman S, not as much a difference as you would think

Indeed, but it has a huge torque (curve) advantage over the S Porsches (Cayman / Boxster). In real life the 335 would beat either of them in nearly all situations

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

S5 gets my vote for sure. It's just so blindingly stylish. I don't think it really matters if the 335 is a tiny bit faster - who cares! Couldn't live with that interior.

Just got a call from Agnews, have a July reg Phantom Black, going to head up for a look.

I'm gonna talk to Grange about their demo one - DWilly not sure if I have taken you up wrong but the S5 is quite a bit more powerful than the BMW.

I would take an S5 over a 335 but I'm still very much into the BMW and it's going to be a cheaper car to buy, run and sell on in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    In real life the 335 would beat either of them in nearly all situations
    I'd have my doubts about that.. the BMW is quite a bit heavier, the weight of the engine is in the front, and it is based off a family/compact executive car originally.

• Advertisement

Well lads I have managed to get stupid money for the S3 against the Porsche and it is sooooooooo tempting :confused:

if its really stupid money and you are happy the porsche is sensibly priced its a no brainer

you dont need back seats, and wonderful and all as the 335i is (and i am a big big fan) its not a porsche, i would think going from the s3 to the 335i is not going to be a huge step up handling wise whereas the porsche is a proper sports car

wouldnt pick silver myself but if you like the colour go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

MarkN wrote: »
    Well lads I have managed to get stupid money for the S3 against the Porsche and it is sooooooooo tempting :confused:

Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy.

Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Go for the Porsche.. it'll never be mistaken for yet another 320 coupe with big alloys and a bodykit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Porker.

I'm gonna talk to Grange about their demo one - DWilly not sure if I have taken you up wrong but the S5 is quite a bit more powerful than the BMW.

Yes but I was referring to the Fifth Gear track test which the 335 beat the S5 around. They conveniently forgot the S5 is a lot heavier but anyway I think they're too different to be compared like that. If they were both turbo'd rear wheel drive sixes maybe..

Porsche over the Beemer any day (if you don't mind a 2 seater)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

Of all the cars that you have mentioned I would only do a U-Turn for one of them to take a second look.

That would be the S5. ( has to be black/graphite )

The 335 has a sweet engine but the styling is a bit 'Toni and Guy'. The Porsche Cayman , although again a great car, says how less money than more money that you may have and the A5 is nice but a little bit plain. (actually did a second swoop in Cavan last month to take a second look at one that was there)

The S5 has to be the one. Subtle but raw.

(but dont take my word for it. my recent test drive was yesterday on a bicycle with a 25cc engine attached to the back wheel over here in amsterdam :cool: )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BMW
    definitly the a5, better yet an s5. Much nicer car IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

BMW
    I know I'll get slated for this but I think the BMW's age too quickly in the looks dept. As much as I love the look of the new 3 series coupe i know its only a matter of months before i hate it. AND there are already a lot of them on the roads.

A5 continues to turn my head its a fantastic looking car and one i have voted for - the S5 of course would be the one if you have the cash.

Having said that if I liked my cars as much as you do and i do (was driving the new GTI and now driving the new TT and thats only 2007!) I would go for the Porsche, as someone else pointed out they are rare enough on irish roads to still turn heads AND you get a lot of power - they havent changed the design in X number of years for a reason, they have only fine tuned it!

If the money was right then I'd go for it - if for what ever reason you dont like it in 6 months change it but at least you wont have lost your shirt on it like the other two

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BMW
    porsche>S5>BMW in that order, with a big gap from the S5 to the BMW imo.

I always remember various reviews saying there is no point in the 911 when
    you can buy the Cayman for so much cheaper and it is arguably a better drive.
    Or whatcars 'cost of ownership' 5* rating : '(almost) like money in the bank'

• Advertisement

Swinging towards an S5 now lads. Garage the only owner, practically 2 year warranty, rare as fook, 354bhp, V8 roar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

BMW
    Swinging towards an S5 now lads. Garage the only owner, practically 2 year warranty, rare as fook, 354bhp, V8 roar..

Good price? spec?

seriously the porsche!

s5 will suffer from the 335i problem of looking like a 1.8t with an s-line kit

DirtyDog wrote: »
    Good price? spec?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=767077

I wouldn't be paying that price mind you. ;)

Cyrus wrote: »
    seriously the porsche!

s5 will suffer from the 335i problem of looking like a 1.8t with an s-line kit

+1

A Porsche will never be mistaken for a lower spec version as even the lower spec versions are still Porsche's. S5 might be rare now, but give it 12 months when production free's up and there will be more S5's than Cayman's on the road - never mind the number of 1.8T A5's with the sport kit.

But knowing who's already had their A$$ in that driver's seat.........:eek:

R.O.R wrote: »
    A Porsche will never be mistaken for a lower spec version as even the lower spec versions are still Porsche's.

If that matters to you yeah but not to everybody. To those in the know ;)

In fairness to ROR he would know as much as the rest of us I'd say but a demo car can't be any worse than a 2 owner Porsche lads.

I don't think any other A5 will look like an S5 being honest, they're much more aggressive looking even the wheels can't be ordered on any other Audi for example.

leather not std on the s5?

• Advertisement

Half leather, sports seats, S5 embossed in the head rest.. I think the alcantara has to be seen in the flesh to be appreciated.

Advertisement