Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your opinion please? A5/335

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Given the fact most "test drives" these days seem to last all of about 3mins and are often stuck in traffic - I fail to see whats the big issue with buying an ex demo car

Biggest problem I can see is that they may get floored a bit while cold - but that will only be a problem for the owner at about 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Given the fact most "test drives" these days seem to last all of about 3mins and are often stuck in traffic - I fail to see whats the big issue with buying an ex demo car

I was only joking really. With something like the S5 the dealers will sometimes loan them overnight, or even a weekend to very good corporate clients - or more likely their day to day contact who buys all the cars off them. Knowing one such person very well and his penchant for quick driving, at high revs, with a touch of drifting thrown in.....

Lets just say the 3,000 miles on the car won't all have been done in heavy traffic, nor how you or I would treat our own cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

just get the BMW. Have driven a few of the bigger engined new 3 series through my job.. and they're great.
    Audis.. well i find them bland and boring... unless it's a S version.. but even still, they just look like slightly tarted up versions of standars ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

MarkN wrote: »
    You're a wealth of info E92 and I mean that!

I had noticed the boost from the turbo is very slight alright, even the whoosh is very low - the S3 is the complete opposite, you couldn't BUT notice the whoosh of the turbo and it was something that had me hooked when I sat into the S3 last year.

I can't imagine tuning the BMW, I had no desire to in the S3 and the BM has even more horses.

A TINY little blip in my plan arrived this morning in the form of this which I am taking for a spin this evening but I think I am too set on the BMW..

richfordCAYSIL762.jpg

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=674488

Well thanks for the compliment Mark.

Now back to the issue we have on hand here;).

You're after saying you've chose the Beemer, stick with it.

For those who say don't worry about whether its a Cayman or a Cayman S because its a Porsche, then the same argument applioes to the Bee-Em.

Going by that logic MarkN should get a 320i, its a BMW after all.

I would say no way to the S5. Its meant to be not a whole pile faster than the 335i. I know you're used to Quattro from the S3, but the fact remains that Quattro slows down a car(unless its a high powered Front driver).

0-100 takes 5.5 seconds or 5.7 since yours is an Auto for the Bee-Em. 0-100 in 5.1 for the Audi, so only 0.4 better comparing like with like models.

I know you said before that you use the car only at weekends or words to that affect, so an average fuel cnsumption of 22.8 mpg from the S5 won't be a problem for you, but it will be a major problem for the next buyer.

A 4.2 V8 is going to be a nightmare of a car to sell on Audi or no Audi, even a 3 litre straight 6 will not be the easiest car in the world to shift on(even in a Beemer), but it will be a hell of a lot easier than a 4.2 V8.

The S5 will I'm quite certain suffer from much more depreciation than the Bee-Em.

You can have the 335i M Sport for €70,335, compared to the S5's €85,500. Thats a big difference. So far the only thing better about an S5 over the Bee-Em is the fact that there will be a V8 bellow when you stamp your foot on the loud pedal.

You already said you prefer the way the 335i drives, the motoring magaizines all seem to be in unity that the 3.0 TDI is the the model they'd most like to have, including the S5, as regards the A5.

As for the Porsche, the question you have to ask is that apart from the badge, is it actually a better car than the 335i? Because if all thats drawing you towards the Porsche is the idea of telling the whole world you own a Porsche, then I don't see the point. The standard Cayman is certainly about halfway inbetween the BMW and the S5 pricewise, see here for more.

If it were my money, I'd still be having the 335i SE, and pocketing the difference, but I also have the problem of having no Porsche dealer within 150 miles of me, whereas there are 2 BMW dealers only a few miles from me. But a spin in the Porsche could change all that:D.

I think if you like the Porsche though for reasons other than the badge, then for Christs sake buy it, over the Bee-Em included.

And I know some will say that its not a proper Porsche unless its a 911, well I'm sorry, but the only reason the Cayman S is slower than a 911 is because Porsche wouldn't puit something or other into the Cayman(I think it was a limited slip diff, but don't know exactly) because if they did, they would have had a car 30k cheaper that was better and quicker than the 911.But remember the non S version is a slower car than your Audi S3.

I never realised this, but Audi say that the S3 is as fast a car as an Auto 335i.

Cayman 0-100 in 6.1(slower than either the Audi or BMW), 257 km/h(160 mph), Cayman S 0-100 km/h in 5.4(so faster than either the Audi or BMW), 271 km/h(171 mph), according to Porsche

Its not like everyone gets to tell people I have the closest thing to an M3 anyway(and lets face it, thats what the 335i is), or to put it another way: I have a BMW which is more powerful than an M3 for only 12 years ago.

The S5 is a rival for the M3, not the 335i anyway IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Good post.

Well here's the latest, I have sold the S3 this afternoon.

I now have a few options - I have ruled out the Cayman, I would want it for more than the badge by all means but that one was just a bit too rich for me.

I can get an S5 demo from Grange with a serious discount, I can keep the order for the BMW going and get about 2,500 thousand off it through a dealer or I can go into Duffy's with cash and slap 72 grand on the table and tell them take it or leave it on that demo 335i they have.

I've just realised there's a good chance that I could be driving a 4 speed Starlet between now and Jan. :)

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote:
    Something else I only just noticed on this thread. There are people who love cars (me included) and then there are people that love new cars.

And some who love all cars so long as they're either a Hybrid or a Honda or better still both;).

As for me being biased, I'd never be accused of such a thing, would I :rolleyes::p?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Fook me, quick sale on the S3! I'd still take the Cayman S, I'm presuming you've haggled a discount on it...

However, as you've ruled it out and that gorgeous S5 is there, I'd probably take that over waiting for the 335i or saving and getting the demo 335i, especially if you could get it for under €90k ;). I agree with you about the fact the S5 does look different (better) than the hoards of S-Line A5's that will appear...but it still doesn't look, or go, like a Porsche :D

So:
    Porsche-emblem.jpg

or:
    audis510.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Listen to this S5, it's like turning on the Death Star

Good post.

Well here's the latest, I have sold the S3 this afternoon.

I now have a few options - I have ruled out the Cayman, I would want it for more than the badge by all means but that one was just a bit too rich for me.

I can get an S5 demo from Grange with a serious discount, I can keep the order for the BMW going and get about 2,500 thousand off it through a dealer or I can go into Duffy's with cash and slap 72 grand on the table and tell them take it or leave it on that demo 335i they have.

I've just realised there's a good chance that I could be driving a 4 speed Starlet between now and Jan. :)

Has to be the BMW then for me.

If I were you, I'd be having a brand new 335i, simply because the new Efficient Dynamics models have just arrived(at least BMWs Ireland website is advertising them for sale anyway), which as well as significantly improved fuel consumption(though this seems to have had only a small difference to the 335i(about a 2 mpg difference, but the other 6 pot(petrol) models are actually as economical as a 4 cylinder E46 petrol was)), has brought along a mid life facelift for the entire 3 series range, some new/improved engines(316i, 318i, 320i, 325i, 330i, 318d, 320d, though some of these new/improved engines were valready available in the E92 and E93, but for the E90/E91 all those models I mentioned have new/improved engines), and slightly different styling as well.

As for Starlets, I know just the thing, one of those 70 series as they're known(the mid to late 80s Starlet) 1.0 XL, 4 speed manual, FWD, and manual choke(a wha?):eek: as standard. No PAS either obviously. What a car to drive after an S3 :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    And some who love all cars so long as they're either a Hybrid or a Honda or better still both;).
    Funny you should say that as I nearly went to buy a 2002 official UK spec Skyline GT-R R34 about 2 months ago. Only 100 exist, and they're higher spec than the JDM equivalent V-spec. No external mods, just a few small engine upgrades bringing power at the flywheel to 520bhp. After VRT would have been 55k euro, which is a bit too much IMHO. Will look again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

E92 wrote: »
    Has to be the BMW then for me.

If I were you, I'd be having a brand new 335i, simply because the new Efficient Dynamics models have just arrived(at least BMWs Ireland website is advertising them for sale anyway), which as well as significantly improved fuel consumption(though this seems to have had only a small difference to the 335i(about a 2 mpg difference, but the other 6 pot(petrol) models are actually as economical as a 4 cylinder E46 petrol was)), has brought along a mid life facelift for the entire 3 series range, some new/improved engines(316i, 318i, 320i, 325i, 330i, 318d, 320d, though some of these new/improved engines were valready available in the E92 and E93, but for the E90/E91 all those models I mentioned have new/improved engines), and slightly different styling as well.

As for Starlets, I know just the thing, one of those 70 series as they're known(the mid to late 80s Starlet) 1.0 XL, 4 speed manual, FWD, and manual choke(a wha?):eek: as standard. No PAS either obviously. What a car to drive after an S3 :D!

Completely agree with last few posts from you E92.
    I cannot for the life of me understand people who think ooooh...it's a Porsche!! So what!!!
    Caymenne would be a mistake that you'd regret. I'm just not convinced about the S5. I really amn't. I don't know why...if you were looking at an S6 I'd say it oozed sex appeal. The BMW is the pick of the three...hands down. I don't care if you're not a BMW fan...it's the best of the three full stop. Class, refinement and performance...and there is something to be said for top of the range in this case as opposed to a car that was purpose built to sit a little behind a 911.

Buy the Beamer and stop fretting about this choice...just do it!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

erm a grey s5 drove past me this evening, and despite my earlier comments more in favour of the bmw, fook me its a serios looking machine and that noise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lads just wanna thank every single one of you who took the time to reply to this thread. This morning I sold my Audi S3 and this afternoon I bought the 335i coupe that was in Duffys. I got a serious deal on the car and I will be picking it up early next week. Thanks again :)

Lads just wanna thank every single one of you who took the time to reply to this thread. This morning I sold my Audi S3 and this afternoon I bought the 335i coupe that was in Duffys. I got a serious deal on the car and I will be picking it up early next week. Thanks again :)

Well done Mark...we want pictures when you have them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

congrats mark well wear :)

Well wear, I'm delighted you've definately gone for the Beemer, I'm sure you will absolutely love it.

Rev it to 7,000 rpm for me! They make a sound that is to die for at 7,000 rpm:).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear, Mark :)

Smart move. The rate you're going, you'll still own a Porsche / Ferrari / Lambo / *insert other supercar* before you're 30 anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Well wear Mark. Must say, I quite like the new 3 series coupe and they drive pretty good, too. (In the short distance I get to drive them anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Best of luck with the new bus. You'll like it.
    Pity about that GTR though! :) Least depreciating car of the lot, and by far the fastest!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BMW

nice one mark, what is going to happen to your membership on the various audi forums now though :eek:??

Can I ask what kind of deal was available on the A5 when you were looking at it? I'm looking at the 1.8T now that is is available. pm me if you don't wanna post it?

• Advertisement

I've been a mod on Vagdrivers for quite a few years now but even still, the forum is open to anyone into cars really, I'm sure I'll get a bit of stick off the lads being a BMW but I think most of them appreciate the performance of it at end of day. As for discounts, the A5s are so thin on the ground at the moment, the 1.8 being even rarer I wouldn't be too optimistic. I was told that Audi were not really offering discounts on the A5 and I was more a less getting one cause of knowing someone in a dealer.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BMW
    yep, thats what I am getting alright, ok trade in on the A3 but not even a couple of free options thrown at me so far. audi-sport is only really good for the A3/S3 anyway I suppose. they guy I got mine off last year in Belgard has left so I wasn't sure whether the new guys are taking the michael or not..

Worth a try elsewhere I suppose, Sheehy's in Naas/Newmarket in Cork (I bought the S3 from them) might be worth a try if you wanna look out of Dublin. I've spent a stupid amount of money in Grange over the years hence being able to get a discount on the A5... I was offered a fairly big discount off their S5 demo too but the cost of change of nearly €45,000 was just too much for me.

Just in case any of you who took the time to post in this thread wanted to see a pic of the finished result - this is what I got this morning. I woke up at 5am and when I saw it wasn't time to get up, I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

16102007271.jpg
    16102007270.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Very nice any pics of the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Looks class, well wear! Very jealous ;)

That's f***** sweet Mark!!! Well done again...looks good in silver which a lot of cars don't. Now if you could post some pics of some sexy half naked chick draped acrosss the bonnet I'm sure we'd all be very obliged ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

Well done, it will give you a huge smile on your face every time you drive.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Nice.........what is it .......318i ??

Havent read the whole thread yet but you should have gone for the A5 1.8T. Huge power, much more that the BMW. You could also wait for the 2.0 Tdi which will be out next year !

Just kidding !! :D

I was reading through and was about to post "Buy the Beemer" so I was glad to read you did. Nice car indeed, looks sweet.........enjoy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Lovely mate, just lovely :D

Advertisement