Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Surround Sound system

• 19-08-2007 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently bought myself a Sony Bravia 40" X series LCD TV (She's Nice)
    I also bought a Sony surround sound S-Master multi channel receiver STR-KS1000

Now here is my problem. My Appartment is wired for surround sound as in the wires are behind the skirting. It look likes ill have to cut the wiring that came with the surround sound systems and connect it some how to the wiring going behind the skirting.

Could somone please advise me as to what connectors i need and if there is a how to guide anywhere so that I dont go and f*** it up.

A mate mentioned bullet connectors male and female - this means nothing to me. Your words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scribs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just before you go cutting stuff up....have you tried tying the wires you want in the wall to the ones already in the wall and pulling out the old wire? Try it with a length of cord or string first. There might not be enough room where the wires are for the speaker connector to fit through though, that depends on what size it is...
    If that doesn't work, those little clear plastic connectors that you see on car headunit ISO sockets are a good way to join wires cleanly...I don't know if those are bullet connectors or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I wont be able to pull out the wires unforntunately - tried that already.
    What exactly are the names of those connectors does anyone know - and how do you connect em?

Cheers,
    Scribs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Here is the link to a pdf showing the rear of the system in question.

pdf.crse.com/manuals/2661769142.pdf

The connectors are sony's own unique connectors and cannot be sourced anywhere else as far as I know.
    The cables can be extended however quite easily. Presuming you have half decent speaker cable running behind your skirting board you can cut the cables that came with the system and simply attach a small piece of the sony cable (with the connector on the end) to the wires running around the room.
    How you choose to join the wires together is up to you. Twist together (making sure you keep positive to positive and negative to negative) and wrap with electrical tape? Use small electrical block connectors? As mentioned use bullet connectors?
    All will work, just depends how neat you want it!
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

industria wrote:

(making sure you keep positive to positive and negative to negative) and QUOTE]

Cheers Industria,

Im not usre how good the cable is that is running behind the skirting I do know that it doesnt highlight which wire is positive and which is negative. There is no bloody colour coding on said wire. There is color coding on the wire that came with my Sony system.

Could anything bad happen to my speaker if i connect a positive wire to a negative.

Cheers
    Scribs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

If you look very closely at the cable there will definitely be some difference between them. If its not a different colour then usually one side will have a distinct ridge on it and if you take that as positive and the other side as negative? Hope that makes sense!
    If you connect them the other way around (ie positive to negative) then your speakers will be whats called "out of phase".
    When a speaker is connected out of phase it will produce very little bass and will have a poor center image. While facing both speakers that are out of phase no sound will appear to come from the area in between the speakers.
    If you have any doubt whether your speakers are connected correctly, reverse the polarity on just one of the speakers and see if it sounds better.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement