Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

• 19-08-2007 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

So what is the significance/purpose of the mirror I got with the album?

I bought this because Karl and the other guy are always going on about this band. I have to admit it isn't bad. I still find it hard to get used to the sudden changes of musical style mid song but I guess thats just something you have to learn to accept.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Froot wrote:
    So what is the significance/purpose of the mirror I got with the album?

Didn't get the special edition myself, but I think the whole mirror thing is for reading the lyrics, as they're printed backwards. Rather gimmicky, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

€21.95 for the special edition...not expensive for a dvd with studio footage etc.

I had a gift card and the regular edition was the only one they had. ;)

Great album though. Still not sure if it's as good as their previous 2 albums, but I've not really listened to it as much yet. It seems a bit shorter.

Dunno why you find the changes in style hard to get used to. I think they really stand out from the crowd in that sense, the music doesn't have a monotony that a lot of bands have to them. The dynamics of the more melodic moments blended with the heavier styles is something I really enjoy. Something I think a lot of Black Metal bands seriously lack.

I have not got the cd on hand to give you song titles but iirc the first song changes (as most black metal does I'm sure) between styles and for me it was sudden because I was making some coffee while listening to it so I guess I wasn't looking intently at anything other than an espresso pot so it took me by surprise. Perhaps it is not the fact that the style changes that makes them stand out but the actual music it changes to/from.

The 4th track on the album was the best of the 6 I listened to (1-6 that is). It is the European bonus track. Some good stuff ont he album alright. It has never been my genre of music and I don't think I would be too inclined to explore it as much as I have other genres but the album, for me, was quite accessible. I also picked up a 2cd special edition of Roots by Sepultura which I found to be far easier to listen to. I like Sepultura. In addition to the fact that I am learning Portuguese and found it easier to understand than Dimmu Borgir I guess I find that kind of metal easier to listen to.

Lately I have been listening to Manu Chao, Sepultura, Dimmu Borgir, Unida, Samba music (from Carnaval) and that kind of stuff so perhaps I am just a bit confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

i dont think i listened to it more than once . . i guess that says something . . . didn't grab me in any way on first listen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I just got this album on Friday, and I love it. The different styles do take some getting used to but I really really enjoyed the album from the first listen. I'm sticking it on my mp3 player now as I type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Just bought it three days ago, its the first of Dimmu Borgirs that I have, so I'm not totally used to them yet. (actually, this is the first black metal band I've properly listened to)
    It's pretty damn good so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Pretty solid, but no songs really grabbed me, apart from possibly the intro, very powerful start to an album. Compared to other later Dimmu Borgir stuff it is still a good album, but it lacked any songs of the caliber of Kings of Carnival Creation, Prognencies of the Great Apocalypse, or Angels Decay.

However I've found this album to be very over shadowed by Souldrainers first release, Reborn, which is absolutely phenomonal. It has a very epic symphonic feel, much akin to Dimmu Borgir, but its backround is based around death metal as opposed to Black, and in a word, wow, cant recommend this one enough.

Their myspace can be found here:
    http://www.myspace.com/souldrainer
    2 pretty good songs, not the best on the album (the opener 'First Row in Hell' is incredible), but it gives a gist of their style.

Froot wrote:
    I have not got the cd on hand to give you song titles but iirc the first song changes (as most black metal does I'm sure) between styles and for me it was sudden because I was making some coffee while listening to it so I guess I wasn't looking intently at anything other than an espresso pot so it took me by surprise. Perhaps it is not the fact that the style changes that makes them stand out but the actual music it changes to/from.

Suprisingly, most Black Metal doesn't really have much stylistic changes. Infact, quite a lot of it can be very monotonous in terms of style and tempo. Listening to a Darkthrone album for example, it pretty much sounds the same from start to finish. Fine if you like that kinda thing, I guess, but I prefer my music to have a bit more dynamics.

Of course, there are the handfull of Black Metal bands doing interesting things. Enslaved for example, who's sound is very inspired by prog rock, and sometimes sound very reminiscent of Yes or Pink Floyd! :D
    Pugsley wrote:
    However I've found this album to be very over shadowed by Souldrainers first release, Reborn, which is absolutely phenomonal. It has a very epic symphonic feel, much akin to Dimmu Borgir, but its backround is based around death metal as opposed to Black, and in a word, wow, cant recommend this one enough.

Their myspace can be found here:
    http://www.myspace.com/souldrainer
    2 pretty good songs, not the best on the album (the opener 'First Row in Hell' is incredible), but it gives a gist of their style.

Giving them a listen to now. Not bad. Very, very Swedish sounding in places. :D

Well I was hoping the album wouldn't be double bass drum hammering and incomprehensible lyrics. It isnt.

So I am happy :P

Roots is such a good album. I had never listened to it before.

• Advertisement

Never liked Roots myself. Arise was a much better album.

I will check that out. Only listened to Chaos AD and soulfly's stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

After listening to it a few times now, it reminds me a lot of the Hollenthon album With Vilest of worms to dwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

*melts* I love dimmu borgir

Well that was kind of pointless of me saying that.. Ah well

Advertisement