Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behave and I'll get you something nice

Options
  • 19-08-2007 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭

I just overheard a conversation between a woman and her 4 year old. She was in the middle of something and the following transpired

Mother "If you quiet, I'll get you something nice when I'm finished."
    Child "OK."
    Mother (finished): "OK, have you been quiet?"
    Child: "Yes"
    Mother: "Would you like something nice?"
    [Victor's brain]: I'm not convinced about this bribery thing. Sweets for good behaviour is bad.
    Child: "Yes. Could I get something like a snake?"

One of us was wrong in our expectations. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

A woman i know has a great technique when travelling long distance with kids in the car. 3 bags of sweets (3 kids) on the dashboard and each time a kid is bold a sweet gets thrown out the window. While i don't agree with bribing kids all the time a little reward and incentive is good at times :)

But i would draw the line at a snake. Fair play to him for trying though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

but but but littering is bad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I remember years ago seeing an interview with Mother Teresa and when asked why she did all her good work she said it was because she knew she would get her reward in heaven.

That's what it's all about really... religion, civilisation, everything really... sweeties for good behaviour. Snakes for good behaviour would never work IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Maybe they meant a sweet snake? You know the 20c ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Did it work?

If so, leave her off. It may not be something she does all the time but really it's a rare parent who doesn't use bribery at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thaedydal wrote:
    but but but littering is bad....
    You don't actually believe they go out the window, do you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

I work in a school as an SNA, and have babysitted on loads of occasions.......and I have to say I've used bribery to many times to remember. :p I didn't always use sweets as bribery, it could have been "You can have 5 minutes extra of TV if you're good," or "if you're good I'll tell the teacher about how good you are." It can be a thin line between bribery and rewarding good behaviour, but as Crea said.... it is a rare parent who hasn't used bribery at some stage. I also think most people will try bribery at some stage, children themselves included!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Victor wrote:
    You don't actually believe they go out the window, do you? ;)
    :eek: Parents are sneaks!!!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You have to learn to be more devious then your children to keep ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

That kid would have liked to have run into me at the Festival of World Cultures last weekend in Dun Laoghaire. I had one of my corn snakes with me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Figment wrote:
    A woman i know has a great technique when travelling long distance with kids in the car. 3 bags of sweets (3 kids) on the dashboard and each time a kid is bold a sweet gets thrown out the window.

That's a brilliant idea. Must use it on my kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Bribary works :D Sure even reward charts/star charts etc are a form of bribary.

When I started out 'parenting' I was determined not to use bribary, but now, when I have to take all 3 food shopping with me(thanks to no bloody tesco delivery in Cavan!) I bribe them with the promise of of something at the checkout! Now.. if we happen to hit a check out that only has batteries and no sweets, then that's not my problem, they get batteries for one of their toys :D

I don't think I'd be buying a snake any time soon though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In my day, it'd be sweets if you were good, and the threat of the wooden spoon if you were bad:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ha! Very good.

Has anyone seen that new tv programme on BBC? It's called Parenthood, or some such similar. It's classic! Couple with three children, one about 12, one an infant and one walkabout age, but a smart ass to boot! It's on again on Monday, it's kind of like a series.

No laugh track, but god it's funny, deadly funny...and I don't have children!

Advertisement