Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking News!

• 19-08-2007 6:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

ROB STYLES GETS BRAND NEW XJ-TYPE JAGUAR AFTER WINNING UGANDAN BASED LOTTERY . IN AN UNCONNECTED INCIDENT FLORENT MALOUDA WINS HIGH JUMP COMPETITION AND MICHAEL ESSIEN LEARNS TO COUNT TO 2!

Okay, okay... I know, I might be a little bitter :D
    I still think that the scottish FA have the right idea as regards "simulation". I cant blame Lamps for scoring, he had obviously had his Big Mac Meal at half time and Jose promised him a Toffee Sundae if he scored but i think those types of decisions are ridiculous. I think the ref was daft all game and made poor decisions both for and against both teams. Then, he books Essien twice but doesnt really know he has... he just seemed to brandish that yellow card to stop players from all teams telling him how **** a job hes doing. "if i show this shiny yellow thing the players seem to leave me alone".
    should a similar system as the one they have in scotland be introduced south of the border? and if that happens of course then there will be calls for FIFA / UEFA to bring this in to the world cup and euro championships... which will lead it to being used in Italy and Spain and therefore a global thing.
    Is this a good thing? Will it make football more enjoyable to watch and give teams a sense of justification aswell as the fans?
    atm, I would like to see how it works out before introducing it to the rest of europe. It could change the mental makeup of a football match though which is where alot of the enjoyment can come from. its tricky, could be worth it though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Disagree about Malouda, he did nothing wrong except try to avoid Finnan who was trying to avoid Malouda, Styles is an idiot but he actually booked John Terry while looking at Essien (eh?don't ask me!).

Carding for simulation is a good idea but not if Styles is refereeing as he'd have to book himself for pretending to be an official. :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:
    he'd have to book himself for pretending to be an official. :p.

Zing!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Serbian

I don't think Malouda even looked for the penalty, so Styles is on his own with that one. A truly bizarre decision that cost Liverpool 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

mike65 wrote:
    Carding for simulation is a good idea but not if Styles is refereeing as he'd have to book himself for pretending to be an official. :p

Mike.

*/ pick self up off of floor /*

Brilliant !!!:D :D:D:D

ZEN

Wasnt sure the first time but just looking at it again. Jsut as he waves the card at Essien (but is really showing it to Terry 20 yards away :rolleyes: ) and turns to Torres, Essien assumes hes getting sent off and grabs SWP and pushes him beside Stiles before running off in a fairly obvious "we're both black, he'll think he was bookign you and I wont get sent off" moment:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Stekelly wrote:
    Essien assumes hes getting sent off and grabs SWP and pushes him beside Stiles before running off in a fairly obvious "we're both black, he'll think he was bookign you and I wont get sent off" moment:)

Yeah, that was pretty funny actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Maybe Styles was trying to make up for the penalty he gave Liverpool last year at Sheff Utd ??!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ciaran76 wrote:
    Maybe Styles was trying to make up for the penalty he gave Liverpool last year at Sheff Utd ??!!!

i think he shouldnt have given either penalties though.
    What about making ref's accountable. Apparantly Graham Poll rang Radio 5 Live in defence of Styles and I think that would be the case with most other ref's, i.e. - they will just back the ref every time.
    Disregard the "top 4" here and look at it in a more practical way. If a ref makes a howler where he has clearly made the wrong decision and ends up costing a team 2/3 points and this will cause a team to finish in 13th place instead of 10th then the prize money they recieve at the end of the season will be alot less then it could have been through no fault of their own. This works its way right down through all the leagues too. Obviously fining ref's is a bit silly, but wat about a 1 game suspension or something similar? Maybe ref's then will get a bit thicker skinned when it comes to making decisions on the pitch and not let John Terry's (Patrick Veira was the worst for this) feigned anger intimidate him into making poor decisions.

I dunno, I think I could just be being a bit silly here and that all sounds like a bit too much and just adds more red tape to the increasingly beaurocratic nonsense thats in football (Carlos Tevez etc.). The only other option I can think of is replays of incidents before a ref makes a call like in cricket (am I right in saying its in Rugby too?). This would be better I feel as the decision is sorted right there and then and there doesnt have to be a panel and all that jargon that comes with it. It would help ref's rather then hinder them imo and also make them feel alot more supported on the pitch when they do get the call right (which actually happens quite often believe it or not :) ). If a bad decision is made, all the replay would do is correct a human error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

if Styles looks at the video of this i hope he admits he made such a bad decision because if he tries to justify it he'll only make himself more of a laughing stock! shocking decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mike65 wrote:
    Disagree about Malouda, he did nothing wrong except try to avoid Finnan who was trying to avoid Malouda, Styles is an idiot but he actually booked John Terry while looking at Essien (eh?don't ask me!).

Mike.
    If he was booking Terry when he looked very much like he was booking Essien, then Terry should have walked, as Styles had shown him the yellow card and written it down a minute earlier.

Styles is the new Poll.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

mike65 wrote:
    he'd have to book himself for pretending to be an official. :p

Mike.

:D lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hope he refs our next game at anfield personally. Bound to give us a soft penalty. For fear of his life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It looked to me like he was booking Essien for lifting the ball after Torres had placed it to take the free-kick. Didn't see the association with the Terry booking other than the fact that the yellow card was still in his hand.

Watched the high-lights on rte2 and some news channels and the incident was edited - it didn't show Essien lifting the ball from Torres, which was what he was booked for, or so I thought.

Words can't express my opinion of the ref's actions yesterday.

It looked to me like he was booking Essien for lifting the ball after Torres had placed it to take the free-kick. Didn't see the association with the Terry booking other than the fact that the yellow card was still in his hand.

Watched the high-lights on rte2 and some news channels and the incident was edited - it didn't show Essien lifting the ball from Torres, which was what he was booked for, or so I thought.

Words can't express my opinion of the ref's actions yesterday.
    Styles had put the yellow back in his pocket after carding Terry originally

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jazzy wrote:
    I dunno, I think I could just be being a bit silly here and that all sounds like a bit too much and just adds more red tape to the increasingly beaurocratic nonsense thats in football (Carlos Tevez etc.). The only other option I can think of is replays of incidents before a ref makes a call like in cricket (am I right in saying its in Rugby too?). This would be better I feel as the decision is sorted right there and then and there doesnt have to be a panel and all that jargon that comes with it. It would help ref's rather then hinder them imo and also make them feel alot more supported on the pitch when they do get the call right (which actually happens quite often believe it or not :) ). If a bad decision is made, all the replay would do is correct a human error.
    I'm not in favour of using video refs for decisions like that. I think it should be used possibly for over the line decisions suchas the Fulham-Boro one, but in general it should not be too much to ask that a referee gets a penalty decision like the one yesterday right. In most circumstances when a refe gives a peno decision it is either correct, or else it was a plausible one to give on some level. If in doubt talk to the linesmen, but sadly he seemed in no doubt yesterday. Muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Looking at the game in real time yesterday I though it was a pen, it was only with the replay that I realised it was not, so while it was definitely a wrong decision the ref didn't have the benefit of a replay before making his decision. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Refs make mistakes, (IMO United were denied a definited Pen yesterday), If its any consolation it's said they even themselves out over the season.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Jazzy wrote:
    i doubt Rafa will agree

jobonar wrote:
    i doubt Rafa will agree
    It is not like Liverpool never get the benifit of poor decisions though.

As is said, it all evens out - yesterday it was a mark in the 'against' column. Against Villa it was a mark in the 'for' column.

The same will happen to United, and Chelsea, and Arsenal et cetra.

@Tauren. No-one can say it will all even out given due course in these circumstances. Of course decisions will sometimes go with you and sometimes go against you but what happened yesterday was nearly totally incomprehensible.

Referee's aren't generally given 'next weekend off' because of a border-line/poor decision.

• Advertisement

@Tauren. No-one can say it will all even out given due course in these circumstances. Of course decisions will sometimes go with you and sometimes go against you but what happened yesterday was nearly totally incomprehensible.

Referee's aren't generally given 'next weekend off' because of a border-line/poor decision.
    It was a shocking decision, but liverpool have benifited from some in the past (Henchoz clear handball on the line in a cup final....), and will do so again in the future.

Still though, moan away, i'd be doing the same!

Tauren wrote:
    It was a shocking decision, but liverpool have benifited from some in the past (Henchoz clear handball on the line in a cup final....), and will do so again in the future.

I do agree that what goes around.. etc.
    Still though, moan away, i'd be doing the same!

Nice one. LMAO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The Muppet wrote:
    Looking at the game in real time yesterday I though it was a pen, it was only with the replay that I realised it was not, so while it was definitely a wrong decision the ref didn't have the benefit of a replay before making his decision. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Refs make mistakes, (IMO United were denied a definited Pen yesterday), If its any consolation it's said they even themselves out over the season.;)

i think the ref was in a better position than the viewer on home tv had in fairness. sickening that pool were robbed of a penalty/goal/win yesterday against chelsea, but hopefully these things even out over the season and we get a dodgy offside call or something which picks us up 3 points or a draw when were looking out of it as chelsea did yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Like last week when you scored the non-free against Villa? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

astrofool wrote:
    Like last week when you scored the non-free against Villa? :)
    ya something like that....although it was more of a freekick than that was a penalty,how do you define half a goal :)
    i did say that immediately yesterday that it was evening out last weeks call, but thought we mite have got a soft call down the other end after, we prob did but the chelsea players standing about 4foot from d freekick made it more tricky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The old 'Evens itself out over a season' arguement is weak when you think about it.

Liverpool were lucky only in that it happened in August, suppose it had been the second weekend of May and the team needed a win to secure the championship but was denied the prize by a wrongly awarded 93rd min peno which turned out to be the last kick of the game?

Okay its a very long odds eventuality but its possible. Maybe the ref would be a bit more careful in such a game...?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Maybe the ref would be a bit more careful in such a game...?

but shouldnt every game be treated the same and be fair and neutral? its annoying that ref's can play to the occasion just as badly as players can :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Jazzy wrote:
    but shouldnt every game be treated the same and be fair and neutral? its annoying that ref's can play to the occasion just as badly as players can :/

i'm in now way saying the ref was correct but its human nature to do that, must be almost impossible not to.

theyre not robots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Can't understand people harping on about the Villa game as a kind of Karmic justification.

It was a foul in the Villa game. There is a case to say that Gerrard played for the foul, but even at the worst it was a debatable decision, some people agree and some disagree.

Also people seem to forget that Villa got a fairly soft penalty moments earlier.

I think Malouda did dive, I can't explain the theatrical lunge in any other way, I've certainly never seen a dummy done like that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

as soon as i found out that styles was refereeing the game. I was convinced he would ruin it. the guy is the most fame seeking ref there is.

as haughton said about him before:

'Bill, i know rob styles, when he wakes up in the morning, he looks into the mirror and says, i wonder what the other 6 wonders of the world are doing today?!'

Guy isn't fit to ref in the top league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it's not everyday that Hackett apologises for one of his referee's howlers. just goes to show how unbelievably bad that decision was.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Styles apologises to Liverpool From Ireland Online

20/08/2007 - 15:34:48

Rob Styles has apologised to Liverpool after admitting he was wrong to award a penalty to Chelsea during the 1-1 draw at Anfield on Sunday.

The match official has accepted he made a mistake in penalising Steve Finnan and as a result he will not be given a match to referee this weekend.

Styles said: “All referees enter into matches hoping not to make any mistakes but understanding that they may happen, what none of us want is for any mistake to potentially affect the result of the match.

“Yesterday, in mistakenly awarding a penalty, I accept that I may have affected the result of the match and for that I apologise.”

Styles awarded Chelsea a penalty which enabled the Blues to equalise even though Finnan appeared to make no contact with Florent Malouda.

Referees’ chief Keith Hackett said officials had to be accountable for mistakes.

He said: “We have in place systems that will analyse each decision a referee makes.

“Referees are aware of the accountability that exists, as are the managers and players, and we expect referees to get big decisions correct.

“On this occasion it was wrong and therefore Rob will not be officiating next weekend.

“I spoke to Rob this morning and obviously he is extremely disappointed with the decision and admitted he got it wrong. I have left a message with Rafael Benitez to apologise.”

Very good. Source?

he is in his bollox sorry.

fame hungry is wat he is and this will just make him more smug than he already is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Tauren wrote:
    It is not like Liverpool never get the benifit of poor decisions though.

As is said, it all evens out - yesterday it was a mark in the 'against' column. Against Villa it was a mark in the 'for' column.

The same will happen to United, and Chelsea, and Arsenal et cetra.

Exactly !!!
    They got 2 points they shoudln't have at Villa park .. and now those
    2 points have been taken back .. im sure Chelsea will lose a point somewhere
    down the line .. unfairly i mean as did Liverpool yesterday ...

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:

Are you mad? Nobody in their right mind was in any doubt that it was never a peno right from the start. Ffs my GF even said what the hell has he given there.

The only justifyable way it was a foul at all (and even then its a big stretch) would be to give Finnan a free out for Malouda jumping on him and obstructing him.

Styles is a total joke. The whole situation with booking (or not) Terry and Essien should never have arisen in the first place becaus ehe was cleary signalling play on when Torres went down. The Liverpool players all jog away. Terry goes over and bumps into Torres for going down easy. Styles sees this and books Terry, then in some sort of weird cross wire incident in his head that then turns into a free for Liverpool (even though Terry bumping Torres was while the ball was dead). The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Can't understand people harping on about the Villa game as a kind of Karmic justification.

It was a foul in the Villa game. There is a case to say that Gerrard played for the foul, but even at the worst it was a debatable decision, some people agree and some disagree.

I thought it was a foul at first as well, but after watching the reply's on you tube, its obvious that Petrov got a little flick on the ball before contact with gerrard, so his outstretched leg was actually doing something rather then just hanging out there to obstruct.

On Malouda, im gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. I dont think it was a dummy, more a kind of retarded jump out of the way of the ball and then kind of pivot in midair as he saw Finnan onrushing so it just looked all weird. He didnt roll about or request a pen or anything, and it would be the most rediculous dive of all time. if play had gone on we wouldnt have been saying he dived, just that he had a bit of a collision with Finnan. Its only the stupid ref call that calls it into question.
    The Muppet wrote:
    Yes, but your watching on television (even still i thought it was fairly obviously wrong at first look), and the ref is 5 feet away looking right at it. And of course that its his job which he's supposed to be qualified to do at the highest level. Some calls are very tough and you cant blame the ref too much (villa last week) - this wasn't one of them.

Now, whats the story with Heinze, wasnt that meant to be decided today?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

More of the above article:
    "Having looked at a video and seen a better angle and a better view, clearly he (Styles) now recognises that he got it wrong and he's deeply apologetic for that. I think, in fact, he too will be making contact with Liverpool in order to offer his apologies."

Asked about the confusion when Essien appeared to be booked for a second time, Hackett said: "I'm informed by both the fourth official and Rob he retained the card shown to John Terry then held the card to indicate a direct free-kick, and failed to put the card away.

"So it was a basic, if you like, admin error as against an error in application of law.

"We'll look at the video to ensure we don't get a repeat of that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pretty sure I just heard on Sky Sports that Stiles is being dropped from the premier league refs list. Seems a bit harsh. Wouldn't happen if he made a mistake in Wigan v Bolton.

aidan24326 wrote:
    Pretty sure I just heard on Sky Sports that Stiles is being dropped from the premier league refs list. Seems a bit harsh. Wouldn't happen if he made a mistake in Wigan v Bolton.

very true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

aidan24326 wrote:

True , but the guy has been consistently crap over a very long period , he is quite prone to errors similar to the ones he made yesterday and is not up to Premier League standard imo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Were ye watching that game live on Sky though? Andy Gray just wouldn't leave the issue alone. Right to the end of the game he made sure we knew of Styles' mistake. My response to him would be to get out there and referee a game yourself you naieve idiot.

I feel sorry for Styles and referees. Their mistakes are magnified a thousand-fold. Can you imagine doing your job and having an honest mistake you made magnified to that amount in the media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

They know the media coverage they are going to get, and I have little sympathy for them as some of their colleagues are publicity-hungry saps. Think of Jeff Winter constantly popping up on Sky and preaching from the mount, and to make matters worse, Graham Poll, who covered himself in glory at the World Cup least we forget, popping up with a piece in the Daily Mail. I mean I know it's the Daily Mail, but some of these supposed authorities on all things refereeing, well they make me laugh.

If i was as poor at my job as Styles is at his, i'd expect to be sacked.
    Simple as.
    I know being a ref is a tough job, BUT if you are not good enough,which styles clearly isn't, you shouldnt be doing it.

to be honest i don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

Kevster wrote:
    Were ye watching that game live on Sky though? Andy Gray just wouldn't leave the issue alone. Right to the end of the game he made sure we knew of Styles' mistake. My response to him would be to get out there and referee a game yourself you naieve idiot.

do you not think he was right to point out that the result of the game was decided due to the refs inability to carry out his job?

Advertisement