Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mooring Fee's - Dublin and Wicklow

• 19-08-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a sea boat.
    I've had a look at the website for Dun Laoghaire Marina but the mooring fees there are rather over my budget.

I live in Wicklow so would prefer somewhere a little further south than Dun Laoghaire anyhow, but if there are any other ports in Dublin or Wicklow that are cheaper I'd love to know about them.

Secondly, as a total amateur has anyone any recommendations for active sailing clubs (again preferably in Wicklow) that could help me to learn to sail safely and have a bit of craic with like minded people?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You should try Bray, Graystones or Wicklow sailing club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Check out http://www.sailing.ie/ for a list of all the clubs.
    Bray Sailing Club and Greystones Sailing Club are very well thought of and cheaper than the big clubs in Dun Laoghaire. Both have websites for your information. I sailed in Bray for 2 years and would recommmend them highly. Sailing in Sutton Dinghy Club now also highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Longfield, I think you will find that most places are either pricey or full. There is huge demand for boat facilities along the east coast. I went into the Dun Laoghaire marina this year and the only reason I got a space was because they expanded it and added over 150 berths this season.

Other than the Dun Laoghaire marina the other option is the Dun Laoghaire Motor Yacht club. They reorganised their moorings this year, and at the start of the season had one or two free.

In Bray the harbour dries out so you need to get a bilge keeler boat. That said there are no free moorings in the harbour and they have a waiting list. Greystones will have a marina in a few years, but until then it is a dinghy harbour.

Wicklow has moorings. You would need to talk to the sailing club there. But you will probably find that there is a wait list there too.

Down in Arklow the marina is actually more expensive than the one in Dun Laoghaire. The Arklow sailing club also have moorings in the river. Again I would be surprised if there are any free. But talk to the club to be sure.

As for clubs there are ones in each of the towns listed. They are generally are always looking for members!

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's also Malahide.

One great thing about living in the West, mooring fee's are either tiny or free :D Don't think I could condone owning a boat in the East with the fee's

Fees in Dublin aren't much worse that you find internationally. A cousin who sails in Sydney said Irish fees are about half what they pay. I am in Stockholm at the moment and fees here are about 25% higher as well. And what they are asking for places like the Solent in the UK is extortionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sliabh wrote:
    And what they are asking for places like the Solent in the UK is extortionate.

Don't go there... Berthing fee's i've heard about would make yer heart stop beating :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sliabh, I've been looking at some of the sailing club sites that you mention and it's not really clear if membership gives any benefits bar admission to the members bar in some cases. Is mooring included in any of them to your knowledge?

Also should I say "berthing fees" instead of mooring?, sorry for the newbieness of these inane questions :o

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

There is also Poolbeg, beside the tollbridge in Ringsend. Shouldn't be as dear as the others.

Longfield wrote:
    Sliabh, I've been looking at some of the sailing club sites that you mention and it's not really clear if membership gives any benefits bar admission to the members bar in some cases. Is mooring included in any of them to your knowledge?
    In all the cases that I know of mooring/berthing is not included in membership. It is a scarce resurce on the east coast! :-)

The best you could get would usually be access to a boat yard for winter storage or to keep a dinghy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Simona1986 wrote:
    There is also Poolbeg, beside the tollbridge in Ringsend. Shouldn't be as dear as the others.

I live very close to Poolbeg and they are actively looking for members the last time I went by. I would be a member there but I sail a cat not an ocean going boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I live very close to Poolbeg and they are actively looking for members the last time I went by. I would be a member there but I sail a cat not an ocean going boat
    Where do you sail your cat ?
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

JamesM wrote:
    Where do you sail your cat ?
    Jim.
    Swords at the moment...although have done barely any sailing this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Swords at the moment...although have done barely any sailing this year :(
    I was a member in Poolbeg years ago - very friendly.
    I've sailed cats in Blesso - although not that much this year.
    Jim.

Advertisement