Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walther G22

Options
  • 19-08-2007 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just discovered duffy's website and spotted the Walther G22, has anybody any first hand experience or opinions? Although I'm not sure my FAO would like the look of that, quite military looking, bulpup and all...

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I was up in Duffys with another board member one evening.
    Brian Duffy is dead sound and stayed open a bit late for us.
    a guy walks in to collect one that he had bought.
    I had dismissed the pics on the web thinking the thing was ugly
    until I saw it in person.

Only thing that appears on your Firearms licence is
    the Maker and the Caliber so the FAO does not actually see it
    to determine if he likes the look of it or not.

Its a LOVELY LOVELY bit of kit and looks way better in real life
    than it does in any pictures. It comes in its own hard case and
    looks pretty short which is deceiving as being a bull pub design
    its got a longer barrel than what it looks like. Solid and light.

Its got push up iron sites, and has a spare 10 rnd metal magazine
    that fits into the stock. (ie you have a 10rnd mag loaded and a spare in
    the rear of the stock)

There are extra safety features too that are colour coded Red.

On the Negative side I have heard HORROR stories about it being
    very picky about the type of ammo it needs to cycle correctly.
    and also heard stories that its not very accurate.

Lovely bit of kit if ya want some Fun rather than serious shooting.
    but thats only from what I have gathered from reading boards and
    reviews.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Wouldn't have one if you two bought it for me :D Duffman is the only dealer I know who stocks them, the rest won't have them. If you want soemthing for fun or tarting up I'd go for a Ruger 10/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was thinking about one of these as you can switch them from right to lefty and back, which would suit me, but then the sheer amount of complains about accuracy and the scope mounting being rubbish etc. i just left it at that.
    I have heard that all that is early production though.
    Any input appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv fired one a cople of times, nothing special at all. One I was using got manky quite quickly and started failing to extract. Tough to get in at the chamber to extract the casings. Its supposed to be on the secert Garda "dont issue any licences for that" list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I bought one 2 years ago and i got the red dot laser that fits on the bottom rail it was good crack for a while on the pistol range but becomes pretty boring after a while .It worked fine with federal high vel rounds but jammed with almost everything else i fed it .Accuracy was good to about 40 yrds and forget it after that .My opinion is that its a piece of C*** stay well away.
    Ive heard of some people down my neck of the woods that couldn't licence it because it was too military looking .To be honest it doesn't look like something you would go out shooting bunnies with anyway i think it would cause some suspicion if you were seen out in the land with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I shot different ones on several occasions .However cool it might look its a pig to shoot.Since its a bullpup the ejection port is right beside your eye so every time you shoot it you get sprayed with hot gas.plus they seem to jam with every available ammunition and if you do get a failure to eject the gun has to be taken off your shoulder to actually see the obstruction.10/22 would be better and cheaper for plinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So nothing has changed there then :(
    I keep putting off the laser surgery thingy,
    Anyone here had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Don't buy one. I've fired them a few times and never without constant jamming every few rounds. They look great but that's about it. A Ruger 10\22 with some after market stock and other parts would be far nicer and more accurate \ reliable.

Had Laser surgery in 2001 by the way. Went from being very short sighted to almost 20:20. Highly recommend it . After tax relief it worked out about the same price as a Steyr SSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

Although I'm not sure my FAO would like the look of that, quite military looking, bulpup and all...

P[/QUOTE]

To Hell with what the FAO thinks.If you aren't known to the Gardai,no criminal record etc. then on no reasonable grounds can you be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To Hell with what the FAO thinks.If you aren't known to the Gardai,no criminal record etc. then on no reasonable grounds can you be refused.
    Very true.

Of course, all the Garda has to say is that he has some concerns over public safety given a recent spate of burglaries in the area and he's worried the looks of the gun might get it nicked and then what do you do? Attempt to have your word taken over that of the Garda in the District Court on the point of who knows more about local crime and public safety?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Although I'm not sure my FAO would like the look of that, quite military looking, bulpup and all...

P

To Hell with what the FAO thinks.If you aren't known to the Gardai,no criminal record etc. then on no reasonable grounds can you be refused.[/QUOTE]

I fully agree, I do have a pistol licence already so security should not be an issue...

Hi Sparks,
    I take your point about the Garda knowing more about local crime, however I am extremely careful when loading and unloading my car after a visit to the range, I'm living in my current house maybe 2 years and none of my neighbours are aware I'm into shooting.
    I'm not 100% if I'm going to apply for a licence for it, I was just looking for some input.
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm not 100% if I'm going to apply for a licence for it, I was just looking for some input.
    Best advice I can give is to get to know the FAO and if you're thinking of applying for a licence for something that might give him a moment, do up some information on it first - what it is, what it fires, where you're going to use it, and so on. That's what I did for the air pistol and that licence was done inside of two weeks (a fortnight which included Christmas and New Year's).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

my friend has one. stay away from them, they jam the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Jams, dirt in breech, bitch to clean... Bit of fun though, have to ask if worth the money! Cant see the FAc being a problem though, Walther .22 Semi?

Having said that I came across osmeone recently having trouble getting a FAC for a Ruger 10/22!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I have one and it's great gas for informal fun and games, but let no-one be under any illusion that it's anything other that a toy that happens to require a Firearms Certificate.
    EVERYONE I've ever introduced to shooting has adored banging away at tin cans/clay pigeons/water balloons/etc/etc with the Walther. They'll all have a go with the 'proper' rifles, shotguns, and handguns, but the G-22 is the one they keep coming back to at the end of the day.

There's a big "Ooooh!" factor to the (pretend) EBR nature of the thing which seems to bring out the kid in everyone. :D

It's certainly fussy about ammunition, but it's not significantly different in that regard to the few other semi-autos I've experienced over the years (Anschutz 525, a Krico of some sort, and a few Ruger 10/22s), and it's not all that much more difficult to clean that the others either.
    They're all a b1tch compared to a bolt action or single shot.

In short, as an 'extra' rifle for laughs and giggles it's a great yoke, but I wouldn't be picking it if it was to be my one and only .22 rifle.

Advertisement