Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite intro?

Options
  • 19-08-2007 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

You know the way some intros absolutely blow your mind?

The ones that do it to me are: Rattle Snakes by Lloyd Cole & The Comotions, Suedehead by Morrissey, Fisherman's Blues by The Waterboys, Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones, I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses.

What other essential intros are there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

gotta be "wouldnt it be nice" by the beach boys. Simple but brilliant.

funny enough my favorite "outro" is on the same album, "waiting for the day". Im not a beach boys nut or anything just love pet sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh yeah, Good Vibrations is pretty spine-tingling too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't have one favourite but Riders on the Storm - the Doors is great tingling anticipation.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I would go with The W.A.N.D. by The Flaming Lips, Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes, Voodoo Child and Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix and Peace Frog by The Doors.

mike65 wrote:
    Don't have one favourite but Riders on the Storm - the Doors is great tingling anticipation.

Mike.
    Good point - gotta love the really, really drawn-out approach when you know the beginning is really worth waiting for. The same would apply to Patti Smith's Land (used for a Guinness ad).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Hmm, that's a good question. There are a few that spring to mind immediately.

I love the intro to Queensryche's Suite Sister Mary, it's very eerie and if you close your eyes and listen to the lyrics, it's really easy imagine the scene in your head (at least in my messed up head anyway).

I love the spoken intro to Jesus Saves too (see my sig).

The piano intro to Eternity X's A Day In Verse is absolutely beautiful.

They probably aren't my favourites, just what I can think of now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

its gotta be ....gimme shelter....by the stones

Scorcesse certainly loves it, he's used it plenty of times in his movies

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

another girl another planet - the only ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

The Baying of the Hounds - Opeth
    Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name has to be a contender. So epic and what a way to start a gig.

There's better live footage than the one I've linked to but I can't find it. It's the one where they're playing in some big stadium in the States and there's loads of aerial footage that just looks fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Any Ramones song :)

And the intro to Guns n Roses' Welcome to the Jungle - could anything rawk more?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

BaZmO* wrote:
    U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name has to be a contender. So epic and what a way to start a gig.

Got to agree 100% on you with that choice, gives me tingles up my spine every time i hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Beautiful Ones by Suede. I've ruined my chances with many a girl by leaping up, mid conversation, and hitting the dancefloor when the opening notes of this classic came on.

Speakeasy by Shed 7: I'll not have a bad word said against the sheds, the lads had a way with a tune and this was magic right from the very start.

The choir at the start followed by the marching drum beat on of Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads is guaranteed to put a smile on Pigheads face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

metallica-Master of Puppets. one of the best
    megadeth - holy wars another fantastic intro

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gavo82

The intro to guns n roses welcome to the jungle has to be included!!

Priceless!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

The Gregorian-style multi-harmony chant which is the beginning of Yes's "Tales of Topographic Oceans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Back in The Saddle or Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith
    Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden
    Club Foot by Kasabian (For the Pro Evo initiated among you) ;)
    Blackened by Metallica
    Tupelo by Nick Cave

Loads more but can't think right now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Jefferson Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Pighead wrote:
    Beautiful Ones by Suede.
    That's definitely a great song.
    I can't decide between two so I'm just going to mention them both :) I love the intro to Metallica - Orion for the way it just soothes your ears from the heaviness of the two tracks that sandwich it and Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit for just the way that no matter how many times I hear those intro chords I know I'm going to spend the next few minutes nodding my head and if I can get away with it, singing along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Far to hard to pick a favourite, but a few that instantly stick out, both young and old...

The Doors - Riders On The Storm

As Mike65 states, tingling anticipation, slowly builds a tense atmosphere of nocturnal unease...

Underworld - Born Slippy.NUXX

Great floorfilling anthem, the opening riff will send anyone with a soul and rhythm to the dancefloor. The pounding techno beats might have been originally created as a joke, but Karl Hyde's laughing all the way to the bank ;)

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

Eastern tinged rock classic, fusing goth and psychedelic rock, the haunting opening bars are an ethereal calm-before-the-storm for what follows.Unfortunately the album signaled their shift into a mediocre hard-rock band.

Justice - Waters Of Nazareth

Caustic electro-house track was a surprising follow up by the French duo that were formerly better known as the guys who remixed Simian's "Never Be Alone" as "We Are Your Friends". Intro sounds like a hundred angry dot matrix printers amplified and distorted...

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood

Killing Joke's new wave phase up as far as 1988's execrable Outside The Gate might be lamented by a large portion of their fans who preferred their "harder" stuff, but there's little arguing with the quality of this hit single, Geordie's guitar punctuating Coleman's ethereal synthesizers, before the bass, drums and vocals come crashing in...1986's "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" is still my favourite despite their recent "return to form"

Doves - There Goes The Fear

The opening carnival like bars, distorted like the memory of youth remembered through the imperfect filter of years gone on, before Jimi Goodwin sings about life passing you by. Hauntingly beautiful.

Nine Inch Nails - Closer

The drums, based on an Iggy Pop sample, on this just ooze sleaze and decadence, while the subtle distorted melody beneath them hints at something deeper...

Aphex Twin - Polynomial C

The beautiful meandering synth solo that starts off this song, uninhibited, is possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I can't pick one in particular. Angel of Death maybe?

Crazy Train by Sabbath has the best intro that any **** song has, it's great for such a bad song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Iron Maiden's Face in The Sand was good the first time i heard it, kind of lost it's appeal after that though. Only one i can think of at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Soundgarden have some great memorable intros to their songs, particularly Like Suicide, Burden In My Hand and Searching With My Good Eye Closed. I love the intro to Into The Void by Nine Inch Nails as well.

Also agree with Gimme Shelter.

gavo82 wrote:
    The intro to guns n roses welcome to the jungle has to be included!!

Priceless!!
    Mentioned five posts before you.
    Okie wrote:
    Club Foot by Kasabian
    Yep, the Kasabian boys give good intro!

Metallica have been mentioned a couple of times - what an intro Enter Sandman has!
    Kevster wrote:
    Jefferson Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
    You're taking the pee - that doesn't even HAVE an intro! However, their previous incarnation, the far superior Jefferson Airplane (see, I learned something from Homer!), released a great single called White Rabbit in the late '60s - now THAT has a magnificent intro!
    The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
    How could I forget such an obvious candidate?!
    Killing Joke - Love Like Blood
    Ooh yeah! Fabulous stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Air- La Femme d'Argent
    Very nice intro with the bass guitar, just an amazingly relaxing song

The Bucket- Kings of Leon and i agree with Gimme Shelter:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Steve Wickhams violin intro for the song "The Pan Within" by the Waterboys

unreal!!

Oh the violin at the start of Fisherman's Blues just kills me!

Can't believe I forgot Blue Monday and Joy Division's Transmission. I'm an idiot! *smacks forehead*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Got my favourite one. I know hiphop isn't most people's music, but if you want a decent intro, listen to Common's Be track. Incidently, it's the intro to the album as well.

Advertisement