Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me please!

Options
  • 19-08-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I'm minding my mums dog while she's gone on holidays for the week. He has stayed with me before and has been no trouble. He is a small terrier cross and is very placid and obedient. But since he has arrived, he seems to be whining continously. Not very loudly but with every breath it seems like a miniature whimper. He's upset about something but I dont know what. He got his walk this morning of about 3 miles but all day he has been doing this. Anytime he is left alone he starts to bark and scratch. His bed is in a corner of the kitchen but I popped to the shops and came back to find him squeezed in behind the bin in the corner well hidden. Can anyone give me any opinions on what is going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Perhaps he misses her, I've known some dogs to pine for their owners some times and not others....provided he's not sick or in pain this is probably what's wrong with him. Is there anything different about your house since the last time you minded him? Or is there anything he might be scared of in your house, such as another animal or strange noises, etc.?

What can help is to give the dog plenty of exercise and if you can, feed it the same food and give it the same bed that it normally has. If you're out, leave the radio on and give it a chew to keep it occupied. Make sure it has a warm, safe place to sleep that's out of the way of draughts etc. At least it's for a week I suppose but if it gets very bad you can get a dog appeasment pheromone (your vet might have it) that might help some but it costs a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

There's no other animals. He was left for a few hours the last time on his own. Could this be why he gets upset when he's alone now? And is there any reason why he's hiding behind the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

^^ aw he obviously misses his mom - dogs like every day to be the same and it's not at the moment - he'll settle down as time goes by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I used to live with my landlady in cork who ran a hostel, she had a cocker spaniel and whenever she went on holidays she would get her mother to mind the dog. He would howl at night and hide under the bed. So the mother put on the television for him and any TV shows my landlady used to watch with him such as coronation street etc and she put a jumper belong to my landlady into his bed. It really helped him.:D

Advertisement