Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho's after match delusions

• 19-08-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭

This guy is so full of crap.
    Basically everything he says is untrue.
    Confronted with questioning over his team's alleged gamesmanship and constant questioning of referee Rob Styles' decisions during a 1-1 draw at Anfield, Chelsea boss Mourinho claimed: 'We are a naive and pure team.
    'I have a naive team, they are naive because we do not have divers, we do not have violent people we do not have nasty tackles.
    We do not have people diving into swimming pools, Chelsea is a naive team. It is a pure team, that is my opinion.'
    'We came to win the game. Maybe people feel we would have come with a packed midfield and try to go home with a point. We picked an attacking side and tried to win for 85 minutes.'
    How long more do we have to listen to this man's ravings ?
    Somebody needs to pull him up on his rants.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

everyone knows that he is crazy as a bag of snakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Enough is enough though.
    His team are the most cynical team in the Premiership.
    All the teams he has managed have been extremely cynical and dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

W.U.M

Mike.

Mourinho says, 'I don't comment, Rafa comments'

Thats it, call the men in white coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really don't understand how Mourinho's psychology works, but it seems that it's basically, deny anything which doesn't suggest that Chelsea are the best team in every aspect. Nobody else believes it, but everybody in the team does, so it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

the man is a loo ball, he makes watching the post match interviews all the more interesting, imo. Then again im biased :)

but does it work?

after the semi final in Anfield when he said they were the definately the better team for the whole game, surely no one in the Chelsea team believed that? surely SOME of them just thought,'here jose, come on, we need to take defeat well sometimes'.

or am i giving them too much credit?!
    surely they have to realise, he is the main reason they are so unpopular?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

surely they have to realise, he is the main reason they are so unpopular?!

Thats true actually, rich chelsea in raneiri's last year were prob my favourite of the top 3 teams (pool not really being in a position to challenge for anything bar champs league spot). Within weeks of Mourinho arriving they plummeted in my eyes though. To be fair i was biased against him anyway after his shenanigans at Porto. When pool were linked with him i was praying we wouldnt get him. thankfully we didnt.

See thats the thing, I think the Chelsea players believe him, and that's why they keep coming back and winning. Since they have the ability, it's all about confidence. If his lies gives them the confidence it's just as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

How long is it since Liverpool got a dodgy win over Villa with a free that never was?

Anyway it won't really matter in the end Liverpool will comfortably get 3rd place and will still be miles off the top 2.

God I can't wait until October again when the words "Liverpool's title challenge" will never be uttered again for another 10 months.

• Advertisement

God I can't wait until October again when the words "Liverpool's title challenge" will never be uttered again for another 10 months.

I'd be very surprised if Liverpool were out of the title race by October

are you trying to compare a poor free kick decision from 30 yards and a peno when in actual fact its a free out, and not sending off a player who has been booked twice?!

you're more deluded than mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anyway it won't really matter in the end Liverpool will comfortably get 3rd place
    Arsenal disagree.

oh yeh, btw, is anybody talking about how poor Chelsea were yesterday? Nope, I wonder why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PHB wrote:
    oh yeh, btw, is anybody talking about how poor Chelsea were yesterday? Nope, I wonder why
    Chelsea are poor in most matches they play.
    They are efficient and cynical though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mourinho is an idiot - albeit an occassionally entertaining one. But it's obvious why the players react to him - they're exactly like him. I doubt there has ever been a more dislikeable team assembled - Drogba, while a fantastic player, is a disgrace - ditto Ashley Cole (how he stayed on the pitch yesterday is beyond me). John Terry is just nauseating. They all worship him. They are the only ones who believe he is the special one. And it works for them. And sadly it'll probably continue to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

PHB wrote:

You're right there. He gets all the headlines coming out with any kind of cr*p.

But it still doesn't change the fact that, under him, they are still little more than a rich mans wimbledon. Give that squad of players to another manager Like Fergie or Wenger and see them come up with some attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mourinho is an idiot - albeit an occassionally entertaining one. But it's obvious why the players react to him - they're exactly like him. I doubt there has ever been a more dislikeable team assembled - Drogba, while a fantastic player, is a disgrace - ditto Ashley Cole (how he stayed on the pitch yesterday is beyond me). John Terry is just nauseating. They all worship him. They are the only ones who believe he is the special one. And it works for them. And sadly it'll probably continue to work.
    Sounds more like a cult than a football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I can't believe people place stock in being the neutrals favourite. Teams love by neutrals tend not to win many trophies.

Drogba has cut out his diving completely, there's a [biased] case to be made that Malouda didn't dive as such, that he was just dummying the ball. The sale of Robben looks to be imminent. IMO all this will result in Chelsea not having a "recognised" diver/cheat (you know, diver/cheat as in Gerrard, as in Ronaldo, as in Andy Johnson, as in Michael Owen, etc etc) . The "give him a yellow, ref", nonsense is not exclusive to Chelsea, but I'd love to know the reasons for Chelsea being the most cynical team in the Premiership. Most of it, I'd imagine, is the usual chip-on-the-shoulder carry-on usually peddled by deluded Liverpool fans who struggle to explain their team's repeated failure to sustain a league challenge beyond Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Well said Bateman, also there was feck all said about Gerrards challenge on SWP.
    I hope to god we get a RB in cause I'm not putting up with Essien playing RB.
    Pizarro looks the best of the bosmans so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bateman wrote:
    I can't believe people place stock in being the neutrals favourite. Teams love by neutrals tend not to win many trophies.
    Well said Bateman,

Short memories or is success the be all and end all of football? I always assumed surviving was, not so long ago chelsea fans felt the same.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I remember Chelsea struggling for relegation in 93-94 at Crimbo, I'd call that a memory of surviving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

smuckers wrote:
    I remember Chelsea struggling for relegation in 93-94 at Crimbo, I'd call that a memory of surviving.

But not the massive debt you passed on to Roman? if he didnt come in ....HELLO LEEDS!!!

Short memories indeed.

kdjac

I remember winning the old second division with a record points total, and also winning the Zenith Data Systems cup, trophies have always mattered. Make no mistake about that. Maybe Chelsea got lucky that Roman came along, or maybe Chelsea were an attractive proposition, owned their own stadium in one of the most expensive locations on the planet. Maybe it's acceptable to trade off the value of an asset, there's clubs closer to home doing it long enough. :(

You really can't be as childish as to throw Roman into every discussion about Chelsea though, it gets repetitive, boring, and redundant. Roman DID come along, Chelsea DIDN'T go the way of Leeds. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Bateman wrote:

Drogba has cut out his diving completely, there's a [biased] case to be made that Malouda didn't dive as such, that he was just dummying the ball. The sale of Robben looks to be imminent. IMO all this will result in Chelsea not having a "recognised" diver/cheat (you know, diver/cheat as in Gerrard, as in Ronaldo, as in Andy Johnson, as in Michael Owen, etc etc) . The "give him a yellow, ref", nonsense is not exclusive to Chelsea, but I'd love to know the reasons for Chelsea being the most cynical team in the Premiership. Most of it, I'd imagine, is the usual chip-on-the-shoulder carry-on usually peddled by deluded Liverpool fans who struggle to explain their team's repeated failure to sustain a league challenge beyond Christmas.

repeated failure? you'd swear chelsea have been mounting title challenges for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bateman wrote:
    IMO all this will result in Chelsea not having a "recognised" diver/cheat

Dont forget Joe Cole. he can be a cynical little faller over when he wants to be. Drogba is always prone to the odd relapse (though to be fair he's gotten much better, as has ronaldo). Gerrard doesnt do it too regularly but he's consistent, once every few weeks he'll go down easy. A part of his game id like him to cut out. He's more of a falling when theres minimal contact type then the diving with no contact in sight type at least (most of the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Open ye're eyes everyone: There are divers and cynical players in every team. As much as I despise Chelsea and Mourinho, you have to realise that it goes on elsewhere. There are also honest players at Chelsea such as SWP, Cech, Shevchenko, and Bridge. Ashley cole is a money-grabbing plonker but he's not too bad on the pitch.

I would have to single-out Drogba and Robben for diving and, more recently, Lampard for being cynical. I'm really beginning to hate him [Lampard].

Kevin.

el rabitos wrote:
    repeated failure? you'd swear chelsea have been mounting title challenges for years.

Allow yourself to go back to the previous page for a little context; we are talking about Mourinho here, and more specifically, his time in English football.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Dont forget Joe Cole. he can be a cynical little faller over when he wants to be. Drogba is always prone to the odd relapse (though to be fair he's gotten much better, as has ronaldo). Gerrard doesnt do it too regularly but he's consistent, once every few weeks he'll go down easy. A part of his game id like him to cut out. He's more of a falling when theres minimal contact type then the diving with no contact in sight type at least (most of the time).

Joe Cole is prone to it like most wingers, 50% of it is pure cynicism, the other 50% is a genuine desire to escape challenges and thus escape injuries. As someone whose fans sing a song containing the word "hard", I'm not sure what Gerrard's excuse is. Apart from the diving, Gerrard's imtimidation of the referee at Villa Park was the worst single incident of that behaviour in recent years that I can think of.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:
    Apart from the diving, Gerrard's imtimidation of the referee at Villa Park was the worst single incident of that behaviour in recent years that I can think of.

this is DEFINATELY the funniest post i have ever read on these boards, especially coming from a supporter of Chelsea.

Just read that you also said Drogba has cut out his diving too?!?! man you are on fire tonight

are you trying to compare a poor free kick decision from 30 yards and a peno when in actual fact its a free out, and not sending off a player who has been booked twice?!

you're more deluded than mourinho

Essien was not booked twice.

Anyway Liverpool won a game thanks to a freekick wrongly awarded 2 minutes from time. It hardly gets a mention. A week later they conceded a penalty (first one at home in 2 years btw) with still plenty of time to change the game and there is hell to pay. Media up in arms, referee's chief apologising. Double standards maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If Gerrard had not scored that free kick (which in fairness took something a bit more special than beating a keeper from the spot) then there would be nothing said of it. If Frank had missed the pen the very fact that it was given and that Styles blatantly waved the card at Essien after already booking him would still be a major talking point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Essien was not booked twice.

Anyway Liverpool won a game thanks to a freekick wrongly awarded 2 minutes from time. It hardly gets a mention. A week later they conceded a penalty (first one at home in 2 years btw) with still plenty of time to change the game and there is hell to pay. Media up in arms, referee's chief apologising. Double standards maybe?

The reason we don't concede penalties is because (especially at home) opposition teams spend next to no time in our box and we have capable defenders who don't dive into tackles, but when they do they usually win the ball. No other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The reason we don't concede penalties is because (especially at home) opposition teams spend next to no time in our box and we have capable defenders who don't dive into tackles, but when they do they usually win the ball. No other reason.
    HA!

Yet when United fans use the EXACT same reasoning (reasoning i agree with btw) we get told: Nope, its cause refs favour you.

every issue you've brought up has been addressed already.

they are not the same thing.

and i'd advise you to look at a replay of that whole incident, Essien was booked twice. IMO Styles then realised he had already booked Essien so pretended the card was for Terry who was 20 yards away at this stage and had already been shown his card and had his name taken a couple of minutes earlier

• Advertisement

every issue you've brought up has been addressed already.

they are not the same thing.

and i'd advise you to look at a replay of that whole incident, Essien was booked twice. IMO Styles then realised he had already booked Essien so pretended the card was for Terry who was 20 yards away at this stage and had already been shown his card and had his name taken a couple of minutes earlier
    the latest line from Hacket is NOT that the card 'shown' to Essien was for Terry, but that Terry was the only player booked in that incident. The story is that Styles simply still had the card in his hand from booking Terry, and didn't realise when he raised his arm to signal a direct/indirect (can't remember which it is) free kick as the ref is supposed to do for the free kick.

this is beyond belief. . . do they not realise the whole thing is on film?!

he booked terry,showed card, everything.

put the card away.

put the ball into Torres' chest for a free.

more reaction from Chelsea players.

Essien picked the ball up off the ground, said something.

Booked Essien.

terry was well clear of the scene at this stage.

this is beyond belief. . . do they not realise the whole thing is on film?!

he booked terry,showed card, everything.

put the card away.

put the ball into Torres' chest for a free.

more reaction from Chelsea players.

Essien picked the ball up off the ground, said something.

Booked Essien.

terry was well clear of the scene at this stage.
    I agree - and i have said as much (which is why i refered to it as a story and a line), i was simply pointing out what they say happened.

Also, the final position on the pitch of Terry is of no relevance as they are saying the card was not being shown to Terry.

but they are saying the card was already in his hand?

I'll have to watch it again, but i'm fairly sure he reached into his pockets and took it out, turned to Essiena and showed it to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Bateman wrote:

Drogba has cut out his diving completely, there's a [biased] case to be made that Malouda didn't dive as such, that he was just dummying the ball. The sale of Robben looks to be imminent. IMO all this will result in Chelsea not having a "recognised" diver/cheat (you know, diver/cheat as in Gerrard, as in Ronaldo, as in Andy Johnson, as in Michael Owen, etc etc) .
    I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call you up on that... Chelsea have no recognised divers!!

I don't care what you say about Drogba he's still the worst diver int he premiership. His reaction in the CL match against liverpool was hillarious and an utter disgrace. He's a brilliant player but his attitude is awful. Lets not forget that was the end of last season so to say he's eliminated it from his game after only 3 matches is a bit much... don't you think!?

As for the list of players who are recognised divers.. when's the last time Ronaldo dived? I'd imagine it's last season too, Michael Owen hasn't played for a year and wasn't IMO a diver in the first place. I'll give you AJ and SG but they are no where near the level of Master Drog's.

• Advertisement

I'll have to watch it again, but i'm fairly sure he reached into his pockets and took it out, turned to Essiena and showed it to him
    yep - that is what i remeber too - i am not saying their version of the events is true - just putting it forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it's really hard to tell, but i saw a still of it in the times and he doesn't actually look like he's turned toward Essien, more like Ben Haim... it's wierd...

found it on You tube

this is DEFINATELY the funniest post i have ever read on these boards, especially coming from a supporter of Chelsea.

Just read that you also said Drogba has cut out his diving too?!?! man you are on fire tonight

Gerrard versus Villa is the worst single incident of intimidation of referees that I've ever seen. Mainly because it worked. To be clear, I'm not talking about incorrect penalty decisions, or multiple bookings, just intimidation. If you find it funny, good man, I'd say you're easily amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bateman wrote:

Drogba has cut out his diving completely.

huh? You basing this on the 3 odds matches so far this season?

In the face of the mickey-led onslaught I'll slip in an "almost" in front of "completely" on the Drogba thing. Suffice to say he's gone some way towards stopping altogether; others haven't even tried.

Bateman wrote:
    Gerrard versus Villa is the worst single incident of intimidation of referees that I've ever seen. Mainly because it worked. To be clear, I'm not talking about incorrect penalty decisions, or multiple bookings, just intimidation. If you find it funny, good man, I'd say you're easily amused.

Gerrards was a hard call to make at the time, he might have been fouled but it should have been an indirect free kick if he was.

But Chelsea at the weekend physically grabbing the referee and surrounding him for every call during the game, then they win a penalty for something that never even nearly happened.

and gerrards was the worst intimidation you've ever seen?

i honestly cant make up my mind if you are for real or just having a laugh

Chelsea have an irritating habit of putting their hands on the ref's shoulders, I don't personally think it's particularly imtimidating, especially if it's the likes of Wright-Phillips who's up to it. Different when Liverpool Captain and All-Round OverRated Master of the Universe Gerrard is screaming at you and waving his hands about. But then wasn't it Gerrard who texted a good luck message to Graham Poll after his retirement? :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bateman wrote:
    Single worst intimidation of referees you have ever seen? Have you only been watching football for 2 weeks? How about the times Utd or Chelsea players as a group hound the ref? Or to use a specific incident, how about the time that a group of Utd players, led by a crazed Roy Keane and Jaap Stam, chased a ref from the centre of the pitch with him walking backwards, all the way to the advertising hoardings while roaring in his face. Are you saying that is not as bad as the incident you mention?

Gerrards was a hard call to make at the time, he might have been fouled but it should have been an indirect free kick if he was.

But Chelsea at the weekend physically grabbing the referee and surrounding him for every call during the game, then they win a penalty for something that never even nearly happened.

and gerrards was the worst intimidation you've ever seen?

i honestly cant make up my mind if you are for real or just having a laugh

Gerrards was clearly not a freekick. Anyway you got 2 points you shouldn't have because of arefereeing blunder.

Anyone remember the opening day of last season. A certain midfield player dived to win a spot kick and deny Sheffield United a win. Referee Rob Stiles decided it was a penalty eventhough there was no contact because of the intent. Pretty similiar to last sunday actually as there was also intent from Finnan except we didn't have to suffer constant whining in the media since.

Gerrards was clearly not a freekick. Anyway you got 2 points you shouldn't have because of arefereeing blunder.

Anyone remember the opening day of last season. A certain midfield player dived to win a spot kick and deny Sheffield United a win. Referee Rob Stiles decided it was a penalty eventhough there was no contact because of the intent. Pretty similiar to last sunday actually as there was also intent from Finnan except we didn't have to suffer constant whining in the media since.

if i remember the incident correctly, Gerrard didnt dive, he stayed on his feet and got his shot off, then fell as he was off balance.

Wat do you mean there was intent from Finnan?! Intent to wat?!!?!? have some french dude jump on him?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement