Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Gunner banned

Options
  • 19-08-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Over on the "After Hours" board there was a thread discussing guns.
    Clare Gunner seems to have got a permanent ban because things
    got a little heated over there where the Moderator of the board while
    Drunk made a comment that provoked CG to respond with an insult where
    he called the moderator a moran.

The Moderator admitted that when he/she made their comment that
    "I was fairly drunk" but later it seems CG has got a permanent ban
    from all of boards.ie and had his private mails and contacts deleted.

The Moderator was the one that provoked and aggravated CG in the first place so I don't think they should have the right to ban them (if it was the same mod that banned him) if they were the root cause of the incident.
    Especially when the moderator was drunk at the time of incident.
    If anything the powers that be should be warning or advising the Mod
    that they should not be moderating "while drunk"

I don't read After Hours very often but it seems out of all the boards here
    to be the one where people "WILL" discuss heated topics and get
    into hot headed debates about all sorts of subjects.

I may not agree 100% with all of CG's opinions on things but
    I for one do not want to see the guy banned as I enjoy his posts
    as he has a vast knowledge in all things shooting related.

Can anyone advise on what anyone that cares to....do to help getting
    him un-banned?

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

He was banned for threatening boards.ie..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

I assume it was a threat of legal action, arising out of his comment about boards having one law suit against it - how would you like another..

That would appear to be the reason - not much chance of him coming back I'd imagine.. however the mods have access to the mod forum where there might be more details. Terry (the AH mod) was not the one who permbanned him - so it was a decision made by the admins / smods of the site

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yup. Legal threats against boards.ie result in a permanent siteban, applied at a level above our pay grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not much chance of him coming back, things like that are taken very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The admin who banned him was CulT. The reason given was the thread of legal action against boards.ie. Unfortunately, that means a direct perma-ban for the whole site.

I am also sorry that he cannot post anymore. One may not agree with every post but it was always informative.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Irish Wolf wrote:
    He was banned for threatening boards.ie..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

I assume it was a threat of legal action, arising out of his comment about boards having one law suit against it - how would you like another..

Missed that comment, But a permanent ban? without leaving
    time for a cool off period?

Long time no hear Irish Wolf! what are you doing round these neck of the woods?
    You will be glad to know Irish Wolf I still got the lads in work
    terrified of me thinking I am some kind of nut-job with all my
    target faces and gun photos up in my cubicle!!! :D
    I like to keep them on their toes.

Theres about 26 people maybe more due to go shooting
    next week and in the future due to a few gun lovers
    organizing a few office outings!!!!!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

bullets wrote:
    Missed that comment, But a permanent ban? without leaving
    time for a cool off period?

Long time no hear Irish Wolf! what are you doing round these neck of the woods?
    You will be glad to know Irish Wolf I still got the lads in work
    terrified of me thinking I am some kind of nut-job with all my
    target faces and gun photos up in my cubicle!!! :D
    I like to keep them on their toes.

Theres about 26 people maybe more due to go shooting
    next week and in the future due to a few gun lovers
    organizing a few office outings!!!!!

~B

It's something that's quite frowned upon here, as I'm sure you know - and I'm not sure there's much way back for him.. you could try going to Feedback with it but I don't hold out much hope.. I was a bit surprised to see him on the banlist as well - didn't look at that particular thread until I noticed he had posted there..

I won't even ask who your face targets are :) 26.. wow man the militia is growing.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

seems more than a bit much for drunken mods to be winding people up till they over step the mark and then giving them a lifetime ban when they do!
    CG added alot to this site
    Bryan

BryanL wrote:
    seems more than a bit much for drunken mods to be winding people up till they over step the mark and then giving them a lifetime ban when they do!
    CG added alot to this site
    Bryan

He was not banned by a mod, only an admin can site ban afaik.
    An admin did not wind him up.
    If boards was successfully sued it could end in the site being closed down for good.
    CG basically threatened to have boards shut down. This is why his threat was taken so seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

tuxy wrote:
    He was not banned by a mod, only an admin can site ban afaik.
    An admin did not wind him up.
    If boards was successfully sued it could end in the site being closed down for good.
    CG basically threatened to have boards shut down. This is why his threat was taken so seriously.

You're right that an Admin didn't wind him up. However, a drunken moderator did wind him up. If the moderator hadn't wound him up there wouldn't have been any threat. By the way I do not for one minute believe that CG would have sued, I do believe he was needling a sore spot for effect in the heat of the moment.

All side are guilty in this from my point of view.

Admin for poorly chosing a mod who does the job drunk. Also for over- reacting with the permenant ban.

The mod in question for acting in the way I saw on that thread.

CG for chosing his words poorly.

In my opinion, CG certainly doesn't deserve more than a week cooling off.

Also I find CG to be a very informative poster and I have a lot of time for him personally even though I've never met him.

This is a bad decision that should be reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Im suprised that thread wasnt locked before this.

kowloon wrote:
    Im suprised that thread wasnt locked before this.
    True, it is an awful thread.

I registered a complaint in help desk.

That's help desk not feedback. Hopefully someone will move it to the correct forum.

Crap, that's the one I meant, it's late :o:D Doesn't need to be moved I think, I'll edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

johngalway wrote:
    You're right that an Admin didn't wind him up. However, a drunken moderator did wind him up. If the moderator hadn't wound him up there wouldn't have been any threat. By the way I do not for one minute believe that CG would have sued, I do believe he was needling a sore spot for effect in the heat of the moment. All side are guilty in this from my point of view.

I agree with you, the Mod should not be in Moderation mode whilst under the influence as in my opinion it distorts his abilty to Moderate in a fair and unbiased manner, however CG should have spotted this and reported the remarks through the proper channels, not shot his mouth off. I also agree his posts are informative and detailed & I would like to see him back on Boards however, in confrontation he always insists on getting the last word in, that is and was his downfall.

I hope the Mod concerned has been offered words of advice. I read the After Hours post & was not impressed with this Mod's style of Moderating.

TJ911...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

He's gotten temp bans here before whiout any booze involved so im not all that surprised TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

:mad: That gets me mad when everyone would know full well he had no intention of actually following through on his threat but the rules have to be obeyed at all costs - mods/admins whatever ye are - use a bit of cop-on :rolleyes:
    Still it's not exactly a big deal to sign up again.
    applied at a level above our pay grade.
    Do you mean that literally - you're getting paid to act the langer :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes, but if the new accounts are discovered and linked back by ip to the banned account or he lets slip about it, the accounts will also be banned. Boards.ie policy.

thelurcher wrote:
    :mad: That gets me mad when everyone would know full well he had no intention of actually following through on his threat but the rules have to be obeyed at all costs - mods/admins whatever ye are - use a bit of cop-on :rolleyes:
    See, it's cop-on for us, because we know CG.
    Admins don't - they just see someone they don't know threaten their site with a legal case using the most hairy kind of law in Ireland.
    Actually, it'd be a huge deal. Having multiple accounts (except in certain circumstances and always with the knowledge of the relevant mods), especially to circumvent a ban, is an offence on boards.ie that gets you permanently banned by your IP number (which could ban a range of users on the same machine if it was a club machine or whatever), no questions asked, no explanations listened to.
    Do you mean that literally - you're getting paid to act the langer :confused::D
    Ha! I wish. Closest I get to being paid for this is... well, actually, I don't get anywhere close to it at all. Just figured it had to be done by someone and I was there at the time. Same as civ and rew I'm guessing.

• Advertisement

Discussion for a different forum maybe but Sparks I doubt many people are on static IP's here - I happen to be usually but have the use of any number of other static IP's and also ADSL, ISDN, plain old dialup, 3G etc.

Seriously for most of us it would be at worst a very minor inconvenience :D

As I said before this a great site for Irish specific stuff but the last few weeks I've been drifting back to the likes of the huntinglife and passion for stalking etc.
    The Mods there are the real deal - no condescending patronising crap and there's much more scope with regard the topics you can discuss.

Seriously for most of us it would be at worst a very minor inconvenience
    Do me a favour and don't run the experiment that would show you you're incorrect? You're hardly the first y'know.
    The Mods there are the real deal - no condescending patronising crap and there's much more scope with regard the topics you can discuss.
    Well, we're a lot fonder of our condescention and patronage. Keeps the riff-raff out, don't'cha know dahlin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

I run a similar vbulletin board and it is a pain in the ass to ip ban as very very few tards have fixed ip addresses. I found the only effective way to ip ban is to ban a whole range but that causes more problems than it solves.

Vigilance is the real way to stop banned users from reregistering. You will spot them by their posting style and the way the say things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

SMERSH wrote:
    Vigilance is the real way to stop banned users from reregistering. You will spot them by their posting style and the way the say things.

Couldn't help a wry smile when I read that, CG (about whom this thread was started) would have a very distinctive style :D

If you're reading this CG, put spaces after full stops, break up your posts into paragraphs and run them through a spell checker and nobody would be any the wiser :D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's quite easy to see rereggted people, they get banned all the time.
    His ban is not permanent, it is indefinite. He will have to talk to the admins to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

CG, if you are reading this, contact the admins and sort it out. You will be sorely missed around here.

I'm actually embarrased for you Sparks :o

Reminded me why I keep comming back - just to watch people wind you up :D:p

thelurcher wrote:
    I'm actually embarrased for you Sparks :o
    Reminded me why I keep comming back - just to watch people wind you up :D:p
    And you wonder why the mods have little patience?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Free Barabus!

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote:
    Couldn't help a wry smile when I read that, CG (about whom this thread was started) would have a very distinctive style :D

If you're reading this CG, put spaces after full stops, break up your posts into paragraphs and run them through a spell checker and nobody would be any the wiser :D:D:D

Whether meant in jest or not - it doesn't look great to slag off someone when you know they can't defend themselves.

Advertisement