Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rare De Lorean!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Volvoboy wrote:

Can it be used as a time machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dosent have the Fulx-Capacitor!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

......or a rear wheel

I was more on about the colour than anything else, not many in red!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why would anyone paint it?

The stainless steel body was the only thing special about it ...that and the doors.

• Advertisement

The paint was electro - plated on, the original couldnt be painted, either by waterbase or solvent paint.

-VB-

yeah, yeah, yeah ...so it was expensive and "special" to paint ...the question still is WHY?

How many do you see red?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

3500 miles my ass. 103500 more like. The interior is showing major wear.

Volvoboy wrote:
    How many do you see red?

-VB-

As a sportscar the DeLorean is useless.

What makes it stand out from the crowd is the stainless steel body (and the whole back to the future thing)

In red it's not a DeLorean ...it's just a useless old pseudo sportscar.

In my opinion, anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Blasphemy. The only colour a DeLorean should be is stainless steel. Let's see you clean the red car with a brillo pad!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Christ Volvoboy, between Carina rustbuckets and now this ****box, you're giving Volvo owners/fans a bad reputation for taste in cars! ;) To be serious for a second, that heap will take a lot of work to get working again. There's no way you'll get it back on the road economically when all the spare parts you need are a continent away.

Most of the painted Deloreans were done because it's a lot cheaper to fill & paint major body damage than panel beat it. I don't buy the "the owner wanted it painted red because he liked the colour" -type story for a second. Run a mile unless you can get an AA/Dekra type inspection before bidding.

Do yourself a favour and spend $20k on a clean car, and probably another €10k between shipping, VRT and the bits and bobs that are a requirement over here that it doesn't have (like a rear fog light), remove the power sapping 80's vintage catalytic converter and you'll have a nice car.

TychoCaine wrote:
    Christ Volvoboy, between Carina rustbuckets and now this ****box, you're giving Volvo owners/fans a bad reputation for taste in cars! ;) To be serious for a second, that heap will take a lot of work to get working again. There's no way you'll get it back on the road economically when all the spare parts you need are a continent away.

Most of the painted Deloreans were done because it's a lot cheaper to fill & paint major body damage than panel beat it. I don't buy the "the owner wanted it painted red because he liked the colour" -type story for a second. Run a mile unless you can get an AA/Dekra type inspection before bidding.

Do yourself a favour and spend $20k on a clean car, and probably another €10k between shipping, VRT and the bits and bobs that are a requirement over here that it doesn't have (like a rear fog light), remove the power sapping 80's vintage catalytic converter and you'll have a nice car.

:eek: Calm down there ted i have no intentions on buying this car or anyother ones from the failed N.Irish Marque, just came across and never seen one painted before.

Go get a Cotex;)

-VB-

If you're seriously looking for a good 2nd hand car, then buy mine ;) A tidy Volvo S80 (a big boy's car) motorway cruiser for €14k. :D:D:D

I'll use the money to bring over a decent Delorean that I'll let you look at from time to time (as long as you don't touch it). :p

TychoCaine wrote:
    If you're seriously looking for a good 2nd hand car, then buy mine ;) A tidy Volvo S80 (a big boy's car) motorway cruiser for €14k. :D:D:D

I'll use the money to bring over a decent Delorean that I'll let you look at from time to time (as long as you don't touch it). :p

Sorry i dont want to buy a ford i want a VOLVO that is if i was in the market for one no volvo intrests me post '93, anyway i'm in my Bangernomics period until i get my E Class

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a side note they made I think around five DeLorean DC-12s with gold plated body work. I think a bank has at least one and the others are in museums.

Regarding the car itself, yes it was poorly built, with brutal brakes, terrible handling and not so great performance but it had a cult following, mostly after the Back to the Future movie though.

It used a Renault V6 engine too afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

plus the car couldn't get past 88mph.
    Top speed was 87.
    0-60 in 14.1 secs.
    The DeLorean is a prime example of what marketing can do for a crap product.
    Whoever the genius that came up with getting this car into the Back to the Future movies deserved a massive payrise :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Engine was a 2.8 V6 from a Volvo bazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Engine was a 2.8 V6 from a Volvo bazz.

...which still makes it a Renault. Volvo never built a V6 engine...........they bought them from Renault..........and some 5 cyl diesels from Audi iirc......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

There is another red DeLorean and it's in Ireland and its owner is a dwarf (really!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

that's in bits... only 3577 miles and the state of it! interior is knackered and engine parts are covered in rust. Not to mention it's been sitting on blocks since 1992 so the bricks are probably part of the car now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

3500 miles?! He's having a laugh!! The interior looks like it has seen a million intergalactic miles and many fat arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Try find a RHD DeLorean, only 13 were built as far as I know.
    plus the car couldn't get past 88mph.
    Top speed was 87.
    0-60 in 14.1 secs.

They would have been faster if the American emissions rules weren't so strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The American regulations at the time prohibited speedometers reading over 85mph too. This and loads more useless information available at the DeLorean Wikipedia article :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galwaytt wrote:
    ...which still makes it a Renault. Volvo never built a V6 engine...........they bought them from Renault..........and some 5 cyl diesels from Audi iirc......

I take its the same one from the Renault Alpine so?

Volvoboy wrote:
    Sorry i dont want to buy a ford i want a VOLVO that is if i was in the market for one no volvo intrests me post '93, anyway i'm in my Bangernomics period until i get my E Class
    The S80 was launched in 1998, and Ford didn't buy Volvo until the following year, so the S80 was the last car designed before Ford took over. ;):D:D:D Unlike other models which have been assembled in Ford plants, the S80 is built in the Volvo plant in Gothenburg. What has happened is that Ford have taken the S80 platform, replaced the expensive aluminium parts with cheaper steel ones and started using it for their American "full size" cars such as the new Taurus they launched this year.

I never saw the point in bangernomics. I just want a comfortable reliable car that will eat motorway miles. The S80 is the same size as an E class, just as powerful; just as comfortable; and costs €6k less to buy (2002 65k miles S80 2.0t SE = €15k, 2002 E220 Elegance W210 = €21k). I wouldn't turn down a W211 though. They're a very nice motor, espeically with a big diesel under the bonnet. A guy I know in Spain has an E420 cdi that is scary fast.

How much did you buy the Volvo for and how much are you selling it for?

-VB-

bazz26 wrote:
    On a side note they made I think around five DeLorean DC-12s with gold plated body work. I think a bank has at least one and the others are in museums.
    It was a special promo for American Express. Only Amex Gold Card holders (geddit?) could buy one. Only two card holders bought them at the time, and a third was built from spares after DMC went bust.
    bazz26 wrote:
    Regarding the car itself, yes it was poorly built, with brutal brakes, terrible handling and not so great performance but it had a cult following, mostly after the Back to the Future movie though.

It used a Renault V6 engine too afaik.
    It was a total Frankenstein... A Volvo/Renault engine, brakes off the Jaguar XJS (which explains a lot), and almost everything else mechanical was off the shelf. That's what happens when you have no money to develop the car, and want to sell it for $25k. It was poorly built because nobody on the production line had ever built a car before!

Volvoboy wrote:
    How much did you buy the Volvo for and how much are you selling it for?
    The car is listed on adverts.ie @ http://adverts.ie/30302 , so lets take the conversation over there.... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

TychoCaine wrote:
    brakes off the Jaguar XJS (which explains a lot), and almost everything

I heard the brakes (or maybe it was the suspension) was from a Ford Cortina!

Advertisement