Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rare De Lorean!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

100% sure that the brake calipers are modified Jag units. The suspension could be from a Cortina though. I heard the steering was from an old Austin Princess design. The cool thing is that if the Delorean was made from bespoke parts most of them would be in the scrap yard by now. But Jag, Ford and BL parts will be available for years yet because of the larger market for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Ok I am female so dont shoot me down but I think I saw a Delorean on Saturday in Bettystown. I was driving up the road and it was in front of me. It looked silver it went around a roundabout and went back the way it came. It looked huge and do you think I could get my camera on my phone to work NO :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

el tel wrote:
    There is another red DeLorean and it's in Ireland and its owner is a dwarf (really!)

Is that the one that's lent to the Transport Museum in Killarney?

The one in the original post is a real turd, isn't it....

Can't see why not, Gonker. They're not so rare that you might never see one. There is at least one club in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

You could just buy a new one ....................
    http://www.delorean.com/newbuild.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

WellyJ wrote:
    Can it be used as a time machine?

According to the speedo, can't reach the required 88 mph :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Oh thats grand because everyone I said it too said I was dreaming it was a northern reg car actually. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

gonker wrote:
    Ok I am female so dont shoot me down but I think I saw a Delorean on Saturday in Bettystown. I was driving up the road and it was in front of me. It looked silver it went around a roundabout and went back the way it came. It looked huge and do you think I could get my camera on my phone to work NO :(

There is definately one around there as it made the front page of the local rag not long ago (nothing really happens in the East Meath area I'm guessing).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Ceb

imagine seeing one of these beasts! according to somewhere or other delorean has confirmed these rolling out full production in 08,
    i rather the original...

sidenote attack! the original time machine in back to the future was planned to be a fridge, no messing, actually a fridge that travelled throught time, thankfully at the last minute robert zemekis saw the advertising campaign for delorean and decided it would be a better idea, i agree with him, who honestly wants to watch a film where a fridge travells through time

also the delorean had the vpr engine (volvo peugeot renault joint project) which was originally an 8 cylender but at the last minute was butchered to be a 6 cylender hence the wierd shape of it

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Ceb wrote: »

sidenote attack! the original time machine in back to the future was planned to be a fridge, no messing, actually a fridge that travelled throught time, thankfully at the last minute robert zemekis saw the advertising campaign for delorean and decided it would be a better idea, i agree with him, who honestly wants to watch a film where a fridge travells through time

Wow! - talk about dodging a bullet. I genuinely thing that BTTF wouldn't have been anywhere near as iconic a movie as it was if the DL had been replaced by a fridge. Imagine a world with no Marty McFly or Doc Brown - it doesn't bear thinking about!

also imagine they used the fridge, kids everywhere would have got into their fridges thinking they could time travel only to find out that their time was now more limited than ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

plus the car couldn't get past 88mph.
    Top speed was 87.
    0-60 in 14.1 secs.
    The DeLorean is a prime example of what marketing can do for a crap product.
    Whoever the genius that came up with getting this car into the Back to the Future movies deserved a massive payrise :)

US spec car had a speedo to 85 and could easily run off the end
    EU spec car had a speedo to 140 and could get to 120ish. Same engine, same emissions gubbins, just the US law required speedos to top at 85 at the time as an anti boy-racer tactic. Take off the emissions pipework (and fail an NCT :D) and it goes significantly faster.

DMC was bankrupt and gone well before BTTF came out. :rolleyes:

i think we can all agree though it wasnt a very good car, it'll always be remembered for all the unimportant reasons and its hardly surprising dmc went bust, id still love to own one though

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Ceb wrote: »
    imagine seeing one of these beasts! according to somewhere or other delorean has confirmed these rolling out full production in 08,
    i rather the original...

also the delorean had the vpr engine (volvo peugeot renault joint project) which was originally an 8 cylender but at the last minute was butchered to be a 6 cylender hence the wierd shape of it
    You're a bit off there. A company in Texas is sitting on a warehouse full of parts which they bought when DeLorean went bust. They have everything they need to build complete cars, so they'll be building the same car that was built in Belfast, with a few minor updates to make it suitable for modern driving (I hope).

The V6 was always a V6. It's the same engine block as the one used in Alpine sports cars at the time, and posh Citroen Xantias up until thay were replaced by the C5.

the old delorean is still being built, you can order one online from their official website starting at 57k dollars, that pic i posted was the original concept for the new range, no longer the same company (nor have i heard anything about the new one in about a year) making them but last i heard the name has been bought (by some guy in heuston i think) with the intention of releasing an entirely new range and more of the old ones, wouldnt really be the same i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

MYOB wrote: »
    Take off the emissions pipework (and fail an NCT :D)

Not necessarily, cars that are pre-'94 I (think) don't need cats to be fitted for the NCT, and the emissions rules for a car that old (1981 thereabouts), would be quite lenient.

Plus, come 2010, 2011, & 2012, most of the DeLoreans will be 30 years old, so no NCT for them if they are under classic car tax & insurance.

Advertisement