Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kayak/canoe prices

• 19-08-2007 11:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was out at the beach today (an annual family thing!) and got thinking about how cool it would be to have a kayak, canoe or small boat to bring along with me in future. It's not something I'd likely use very often, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy - just something to have for the odd few times a year I might find use for it.

When I got home I had a look at the Great Outdoors website and saw that most of their stuff is near the €1k mark - I figure it's premium equipment or they're an overpriced shop but I might be wrong.

Would I be looking to pay €600-700 minimum for a kayak of any description or are there cheaper options for someone not looking to get too into it at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Try get one from Spain/Portugal, they tend to be much cheaper than shops here

There are some interesting inflataable canoes I saw in Portugal recently, not gimmicks, but serious looking bits of kit. I saw one in Decatahlon for €350, in a box that you could fly home with you. Would be ideal for occasional use. 2 seater i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

bear in mind that you will need paddles, bouyancy aid, usually a spray deck and a cag as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if you've not been kayaking before i'd strongly recommend you do some inctroductory courses in the very least. particularly if your thinking of sea kayaking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for the ideas - keep them coming!
    miju wrote:
    if you've not been kayaking before i'd strongly recommend you do some inctroductory courses in the very least. particularly if your thinking of sea kayaking

I did a fair bit when over the years in scouts; wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch but know the basics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

these guys ship to Ireland (they have an Irish branch somewhere in Cork but cant think of the name of them). prices are cheaper than most other places even after shipping is taken into account.

the carolina is the same one as mine and is very stable in rough wheather and speedy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm an experienced paddler. Its really dangerous to paddle alone, it shouldn't be done. You will pick up canoes in buy and sell, its just you don't know what its for (rodeo, flat, river running... etc) I guess the best thing to do is google the name of the boat and then you will know.

Keep and eye on wind direction, know what the tide is doing and make yourself aware of rips and local currents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Check out http://www.zumosurf.com/ for a Dublin based online company, who ship for free within Ireland. The guy who owns this company, Gary, is really nice, although his showroom was burnt down last week (long story, was in a hardware shop in Skerries, you might have seen it on the news). I think he stores the kayak's off site, so he should have one if you want it.
    He does entry level kayaks for EUR400. They are made by DAG, and I have one of their kayak's and find it great for beginners. The DAG website also has lots of good information for starting out.
    In terms of a course, I did one with seapaddling.com. Went on a 1 day introduction to sea kayaking course out of Dunmore East. Weather was fantastic, which helped.
    Instructor was Mick O'Meara, who was excellent. The course was both fun and educational. Covered map reading, compass reading, tides, winds, weather forecasts, general safety. And also lots of time in the water.
    This company seem very professional, and focussed on delivering a great experience. Would recommend this to anyone interested.
    I was also in the 'land' scouts for 10 years, but the stuff I learnt on this course was really good. They also sell all the gear, including kayaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

flogen wrote:
    I was out at the beach today (an annual family thing!) and got thinking about how cool it would be to have a kayak, canoe or small boat to bring along with me in future. It's not something I'd likely use very often, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy - just something to have for the odd few times a year I might find use for it.

When I got home I had a look at the Great Outdoors website and saw that most of their stuff is near the €1k mark - I figure it's premium equipment or they're an overpriced shop but I might be wrong.

Would I be looking to pay €600-700 minimum for a kayak of any description or are there cheaper options for someone not looking to get too into it at this stage?

A plastic sit on top type kayak would be best and much more durable than those inflatable things, which tend to burst easily and are not a tenth as popular. Something like the Bic sit on tops are relatively safe for families , just be careful of offshore winds and currents like with all watercraft etc. They sell for around 500 euro depending on the model etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

I think there is a good buy and sell section on irishfreestyle.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if you're still looking, Flogen, I think mo bhraithir might be selling his virtually unused kit... if you're interested, I can ask him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=33826

It is actually up for sale. I've posted it for him at the link.

Advertisement