Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking my new build

• 19-08-2007 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

I finally finished my new computer today.

I added the Tuniq instead of the stock cooler. And I have the two fans beside it going through a fan controller. The other two fans are 3 speed fans that came with the case I have one beside the hard disk and the other blowing through the other hard disk chamber at the graphics card. I want to change both of them for variable speed fans and connect them to the fan controller (I tried to change the internal wiring of them but no luck there yet).

The controller shows the temps of the Tuniq (At the base which is the same as the MB Software is showing for cpu, I wraped the probe around one of the pipes), the northbridge sink, the memory and the hdd.

As noted elsewhere the P180 was a pain in the ass case to work with although the Corsair modular PSU was fantastic only pluging in the connections I needed. I read a mod where a guy dremeled a hole near the 6 pin power connection and rerouted that cable so it didnt have to cross the graphics card. I might give that a go. I know the look isn't important in this case as you can't look into the case but its better for airflow and I plan to move this case to beside the TV and build a comp for myself with visible insides.

Comp.JPG

I am geting some sticky back plastic things so I can use cable ties to tidy up the fan cables etc better.I also think I will put a small fan on the bridge sink as it gets up to 50 degrees. I am going to take out the USB/Firewire backplate that came with the motherboard too since is not really a benefit and looks poxy in the case with its beige cables.

Comp2.JPG

If you have any comments on the cooling/build or have some recommended first steps to overclock please shout.

Spec:
    1 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    1 ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775,ATX,2xGbLAN,DDR2,2xPCI-Ex16
    1 OCZ DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, Spec Ops Ed ,w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-12
    1 Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM (has seemed slow since installation)
    1 Antec Performance One P180 Miditower, Silver Aluminum (Without PSU)
    1 EVGA GeForce 8800GTS KO ACS3 640MB GDDR3 , HDCP, PCI-Express, 2xDVI-I, 320bit
    1 Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150
    1 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate English OEM DVD 32bit
    1 Plextor DVD±RW burner, PX-810SA, SATA, 18x, 10x Dual, DVD-RAM, Black

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The first step is to raise your fsb as far as it will go untill the system becomes unstable. Then when this happens it time to start adding more voltage to the cpu,ram and nb. And playing with the pcie speeds, htt link etc etc. And then move on to ram timing.

But for now just raise your fsb as far as it can go without making your system unstable.

Check for stability with 3dmark06 and orthos,super pi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Anti wrote:
    The first step is to raise your fsb as far as it will go untill the system becomes unstable. Then when this happens it time to start adding more voltage to the cpu,ram and nb. And playing with the pcie speeds, htt link etc etc. And then move on to ram timing.

But for now just raise your fsb as far as it can go without making your system unstable.

Check for stability with 3dmark06 and orthos,super pi.
    Still living in your S939 days eh? Simple stuff overclocking, like anti said raise FSB in gradual increments, stability test and when unstability happens through an error in orthos etc raise CPU voltage a notch. Northbridge, VTT, RAM and plenty of other voltages will come into play too, but CPU voltage will be the primary factor with lower clock speeds. Try short runs (~30min) of OCCT for initial stability testing when you're working your clock speed up. Your RAM is good at stock to 400FSB so you won't really need to run it out of spec at all if you use the 9x multi on the Q6600, that takes one less thing out of the equation. Finally, Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Congrats on a sucessful build.

Cabling is about as good as it will get in the case:D.

Def take out the rear USB/firewire bracket, it will only get in the way of airflow for the gfx card.

What are your temps using core temp in windows?

For over clocking, I have a quad with the older speed stepping and it went straight to 3.0ghz by setting the bus speed to 333Mhz.

(make sure you disable CPU spectrum spread and PCIE spectrum spread in your bios and any other auto over clocking/Intel speed throttling settings)

you should have no problems over clocking it.

Jesus, Yeah. old skool 939 ftw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I will update here in a few days when I have a chance to try out your suggestions.

Would I be right if I thought that the standard fan that comes in the Tuniq sucks?

• Advertisement

No the fan is actually pretty good. But it can be upgraded with a better one.

Advertisement