Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

the jrock thread

• 19-08-2007 11:12pm

is there any other person here that is partial to some jrock?
    dir en grey
    d'espairs ray
    D
    moi dix mois
    are the bands i like, though i like the odd gazette/vidoll/kagrra/x-japan/bucktick tune too
    i think more people should give it a try. sure they sing in japanese but many are good musicians too. and it beats most of the new stuff over this way, IMO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's been an odd few threads about Japanese music popping up here, so there are certainly a few fans out there, myself included.

I really like Gackt, probably one of my favourites. I like Malice Mizer also. Dir En Grey, well I have their album Withering To Death, and I'm not too gone on it. Perhaps it's a bit too nu-metal for my tastes.

There are some good bands out there, but aside from Dir En Grey, I just don't think I've seen any Japanese band making much of a stir here. Maybe Blood Stain Child, and Sigh. So it's all well and good saying that more people should give it a try, but the fact is, a hell of a lot of Japanese music is very hard to find, and very expensive to import.

I shall end my post with a video from the kickass Japanese hair metal band, Loudness:

Cheesy goodness. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

one word
    Galneryus
    Best band EVARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Sigh are the only real japanese band I listen to, but if you go to Taiwan I can't recommend Chthonic enough, absolutely superb band, especially the Shanling album, 9th Empyrean is also very good.

Sigh, Galneryus, Chthonic. Yes, I really approve. ;)

Speaking of Sigh, picked up the new album yesterday. Haven't listened to it yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

sure they sing in japanese
    No, see the problem is, they don't - they try to sing in English and it sounds comical due to their accents.
    it beats most of the new stuff over this way, IMO
    Hell no, it's as generally shíte as over here. I'd say there are the same amount of good Japanese bands as there are good western bands.

What I don't understand though, is why it's specifically called J-rock and why there should be a thread dedicated to it. It's just rock music from a different country.

I mean, were Thin Lizzy I-rock? :confused:

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    No, see the problem is, they don't - they try to sing in English and it sounds comical due to their accents.

The bands the OP mentioned don't sing in English.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Hell no, it's as generally shíte as over here. I'd say there are the same amount of good Japanese bands as there are good western bands.

What I don't understand though, is why it's specifically called J-rock and why there should be a thread dedicated to it. It's just rock music from a different country.

I mean, were Thin Lizzy I-rock? :confused:

I'd agree with you about there being the same amount of good Japanese bands as western bands (percentage wise at least).

The whole J- prefix thing is just a Japan fanboy thing that gets put infront of everything originating from Japan. I've often heard people on various film boards using the term J-Horror, so really, it's just blatant fanboyism for all things 'J' and I wouldn't read too much into it.

The bands the OP mentioned don't sing in English.

The whole J- prefix thing is just a Japan fanboy thing that gets put infront of everything originating from Japan. I've often heard people on various film boards using the term J-Horror, so really, it's just blatant fanboyism for all things 'J' and I wouldn't read too much into it.
    Stupid Wapanese people......

You know, I've listened to Dir En Grey a lot, and didn't even know they sung in English... Although, as someone who speaks a bit of Japanese, I just figured the lyrics were incomprehensible either way.

Heh, when I saw that video first, I thought it was one of those interpretation jokes.

I haven't listened to them much, but I think Clever Sleazoid is awful....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I shall end my post with a video from the kickass Japanese hair metal band, Loudness:

Cheesy goodness. :D

I still have that album,some great riffs on it.:D

Perhaps their most well known track is:

Another band we used to listen to back in the 80s were Earthshaker:

Hairspray was a big seller back then.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Not exactly jrock but the coolest bunch of motherfcukers on the planet: Acid Mothers Temple

Cool in the way that only japanese hippies can pull off
    (it really kicks off around 3:45)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I too like videos of hot japanese girls with guitars.
    PANDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

MoominPapa wrote:
    Not exactly jrock but the coolest bunch of motherfcukers on the planet: Acid Mothers Temple

Cool in the way that only japanese hippies can pull off
    (it really kicks off around 3:45)

****ing awesome band! Some of their albums are hit or miss (but when you release 50 a month there's bound to be some crap) but live they absolutely blew me away. Amazing!

Boris is another firm favourite. Not really rock, mostly sludge/doom/extreme noise, but some of their albums are fairly accessible like the recent Pink and Rainbow.

Ghost are Pink Floyd of the east but a hundred times better. Cool mix of musical styles but still with a Japanese elegance. Another amazing live band.

John wrote:
    Some of their albums are hit or miss (but when you release 50 a month there's bound to be some crap) but live they absolutely blew me away. Amazing!
    Bit hit and miss live too, I reckon. Saw them in Whelans bout 5 year ago and they were cosmic, few months later in The Village they were muck.

Have to check out your other recs though:cool:

hmm not true I'm afraid, jpop jrock is a category of music, not a wapanese thing.
    What I mean is, if you go to HMV in Japan or HK or many other parts of asia, there will be a jpop section or jrock section, of cd's etc.

anyway, I"m still waiting for the new galneryus album to arrive, maybe tomorrow. can't wait.

nadir wrote:
    hmm not true I'm afraid, jpop jrock is a category of music, not a wapanese thing.
    What I mean is, if you go to HMV in Japan or HK or many other parts of asia, there will be a jpop section or jrock section, of cd's etc.

anyway, I"m still waiting for the new galneryus album to arrive, maybe tomorrow. can't wait.

I don't agree there, because I can pop into HMV in town and they have a 'World Cinema' section, but I wouldn't for a second consider world cinema a genre of it's own.

Ok but it's not for discussion lol.
    jpop and jrock (to a lesser degree), kpop, cpop is how the Japanese, koreans etc organize their shelves, I'm not talking about whether you agree with that or not. That's beyond the scope of my discussion :>
    I'm just saying its not really a wapanese thing, this is how it's done!

nadir wrote:
    Ok but it's not for discussion lol.
    jpop and jrock (to a lesser degree), kpop, cpop is how the Japanese, koreans etc organize their shelves, I'm not talking about whether you agree with that or not. That's beyond the scope of my discussion :>
    I'm just saying its not really a wapanese thing, this is how it's done!
    But we're not in Japan or Korea.....

In Ireland, calling rock from Japan, "J-Rock", IS a Wapanese thing.

MoominPapa wrote:
    Bit hit and miss live too, I reckon. Saw them in Whelans bout 5 year ago and they were cosmic, few months later in The Village they were muck.

Have to check out your other recs though:cool:

You mean the Crawdaddy gig? They blew my socks off that night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mad capsule markets ftw.

that is all.

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    You mean the Crawdaddy gig? They blew my socks off that night!
    No, it was the Village (didn't catch the Crawdaddy gig), which may have added/caused the sh*tness - awful venue. They were feckin around for ages, stopping and starting, and just seemed unable to get into the groove so it never took off.

I must have missed that one, I knew we couldn't have been talking about the same show!
    mad capsule markets

Agreed. Fun band.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    But we're not in Japan or Korea.....

In Ireland, calling rock from Japan, "J-Rock", IS a Wapanese thing.

yea I guess you might be right there.
    I'm just a huge wap so. :D

Listening to these guys a lot lately, still haven't got their new album yet, but soon probably. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

anyone for a bit of "wtf?" :D

I'm always up for a bit of WTF! :D

Sweet!

The new Galneryus album arrived today, just in time for christmas! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That sounds great, must get more of their stuff, thanks Karl.

While not as technically proficient as the above I've found myself humming this one constantly for the last few days. It's more J-PopRock but still loving it...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that wouldn't quite be my thing, Gizmo. ;)

Although more on the poppier side, I absolutely love Gackt:

Freakin' love this song as well:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

The Mad Capsule Markets
    GAMY
    Geronimo
    Undown
    Uphold
    Vivisick
    BO0WY

Are all pretty sweet bands from various genres that happen to be Japanese.

Ehh, Vivisick could be Filipino but they're still a ****in' serious hardcore punk band.

Advertisement