Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 840ci - will I or won't I? Anyone with experience?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Hi guys, I haven't been on this website in donkies. Anyway, the good news (for me anyway!) is that I bought my 840ci sport!!! I bought it in England and brought it home back in April this year. Got it all sorted; VRT wise etc, and it's been a dream since. Had a couple of minor issues with it however I'm delira with it. Got it at a very good price (compared to the prices here) and overall, it was a great deal. Had about a 6 hour trip back to the Ferry from where I picked it up and there wasn't a hitch during all that driving time. Hasn't really been since and I love it. Few pics for those interested - this was after I'd given her a good clean!!!

*jealous*

Congrats, looks a fantastic piece of kit. Best of luck with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That looks in great condition. Personally I would prefer radial spoked alloys, but I love the 8 series. What was the consumption like on your trip back?

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Thanks a mill for the comments guys.

As for the alloys - the spoked alloys are nice however I did want the "throwing star" alloys as I feel the look the sportier of the two. The muli-spokes look slightly dated in my eyes however, as you mention, personal choice.

It's a fab motor; I am chuffed. Lovely cream/grey leather interior - all the extras one could imagine - whoever ordered it back in 1997 didn't hold back so thanks to whoever that was!! Heated seats, cruise control, EDC, tiptronic auto-box, sports/komfort modes etc! It's brill! Hee hee. Excuse my enthusiasm.

MPG - on motorway trips, prob looking at about 24 mpg - city driving........ehhh, not great, about 16mpg. However, I knew I wasn't buying an economic car. It's not breaking the bank thankfully in terms of filling her up. I'll hang on to it for a year or two before I'm forced to be more sensible and get rid but am loving it thus far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Class!

I've promised myself I will own one of these in 8 years time or so!!

Keep it in good nick for me!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,458 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sweet!

What exactly did you get, engine, year, spec? And how much did it set you back (sterling + expenses + VRT)

Specifying these costs and details can be of great help to likeminded souls planning to import similar cars. Details please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

You lucky git,you only live once,very nice car.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lovely car, well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'll probably be an interested customer in a year or two when you decide to sell :)

Lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Wow - what an absolute stunner. :eek: I have been admiring these for about 3 years now... would absolutely love to own one some day.

Please do give us the details on how much the lot sent you back so we can see how close (or not) we are to the dream of owning one of these babies...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

bloody nice car well wear - my only issue with it would be it seems to have a lack of pics ! ( we want more )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

Looks lovely. They're such a rare car these days, and date back to when BMWs actually looked nice rather than the ugly stuff like the present 5 series and especially the 7 series/X6 which are really hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gorgeous. Some of the brighter colours don't do the car any favours.

I'm with OP on the wheels - I think radial spoked/BBS would date it. Star ones get +1 from me.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Fantastic car, been in love with these for a while and like other posters said it's on the list or cars I want to own at some stage.

Best of luck with it.

Hey again guys, thanks for all the replies, it's great.
    For those of you interested, when the time comes, I'll post up the "for sale" ad here in case anyone's interested.........however, in the mean time, hands off!!!! ;)

The exact spec is as follows:
    1997 registered
    4.4 litre engine, V8
    840ci sport edition
    M front and back spoilers (at the bottom!) as with the sport edition............this kit only came with the early 850csi models, before it was more an option with the 1997 - 1999 models
    E31 - the series number
    M62 - Engine
    Automatic transmission

Well, the costs involved were as follows:
    I paid approx £7.5k sterling for the car itself - this was, at the time when the euro/sterling was a little weaker than it is now, was approx EUR9500 or so. The VRT on top of that was approx EUR5000 so approx EUR14,500 in total for the car. Not bad I must say given at the time of purchase, 1997 840's over here were going at approx EUR19-20k.

It certainly appears to be the case that our neighbours across the water, generally take better care of their cars but into the bargain, they seem to have better spec cars. Some of the 840's that I was looking at over here, were fairly standard versus what I ended up with so add's to what I believe was a great price.

I nipped over on the plane, stayed a night, picked up the car early the next morning and was on my way back on the ferry that evening. Not that much hassle and it was a most enjoyable drive back. About EUR350 for plane, boat and accomocation..........and another EUR200 for the petrol back!!!

Getting the VRT sorted was very easy and cost exactly what I expected - no inspections or surprises (VRT office in Santry).

Tax is approx EUR1500 so that's a bit of an ouch! I don't find the running costs overly expensive to be honest which is great.

I had an issue getting it through the NCT - took 3 attempts! Was an issue with driver side front suspension - got the track control arms replaced etc but just had bad luck in that one that was replaced (i.e. the new bit that went in) was a dud but I didn't know this until I failed the NCT again! Anyway, got it re-replaced and all sorted now! Between getting a service, replacing the rods for the suspension and a few wee bits, I've prob spent about EUR800-900 on servicing but (touch wood) there is nothing that needs to be done and I am hoping that I don't need to do anything drastic other than usual oil changes and the likes! Not bad IMO given some horror stories I've heard about 8 series ownership!

I have to admit it's a peach. Here is a link to pics - all exterior as I cannot find the interior shots at this time however will locate same and post them up, for anyone who's interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shabbyalonso/My840ciSport#

Thanks again guys for all the great comments - you know it makes sense!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Stunning Car shabby!

may she serve ya well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

fantastic car... i see the for sale sign outside the house.

at least ya got your priorities right... car first... then house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Fair play OP for coming back with an update, most posters who dont post on a regular basis wouldn't. Anyway best of luck with the car. I didn't see this thread when you first started it but it was an enjoyable read....the updated part made my day :D

I'm becoming a bit of a fan of these cars, I have one on my list of wants but the list is getting long so Im not sure where I'll fit it in :pac:

Looking forward to pics of the interior anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,116 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

may i say

that rocks! :cool:

and all for the price of a second hand 1.4litre golf :rolleyes:

well wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I would absolutely love to own one of these. Personally (and its only personal taste) i much prefer the multi spoke wheels... ithink it makes it look more exotic... more italian like... but your car is stunning :)
    I looked at buying one a while back, but TBH it was the fear of the cost of ownership that put me off. Plan to put away a bit of money and then look into buying one again!
    1500 on road tax is a bit of an ouch, but when it looks like that... WOW. Why dont car manufacturers make cars this pretty any more ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Wear well my man, she's a beaut.

Brave move in these tough times, driving a weapon like that, fair play though, it's excessive, it's 80's, it's kitsch, and I love it!!

How did you get on with the chest toupee??Hope it's a Magnum PI special :D

• Advertisement

Hee hee! :D Good stuff guys, thanks again.

Yea, I should have foreseen this recession but hey, what can ya do!!!!

I'm working on the 'tash at the moment and am trying to track down some 1980's shades for the Magnum look!!!!

Ah yes, I have to agree - it is a shame that cars are not more like this however in one way I'm glad, as because there are so few, I feel extra special driving one around (but not in a poser sense I have to clarify!). :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,458 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I feel extra special driving one around

And rightly so!

If you buy it well, maintain it well and if you're not unlucky, you can drive a very special older car like that for no more money than a common-as-muck, low end, second hand hatchback (provided of course that you have a long history of no claims driving)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I would absolutely love to own one of these. Personally (and its only personal taste) i much prefer the multi spoke wheels... ithink it makes it look more exotic... more italian like... but your car is stunning :)
    I looked at buying one a while back, but TBH it was the fear of the cost of ownership that put me off. Plan to put away a bit of money and then look into buying one again!
    1500 on road tax is a bit of an ouch, but when it looks like that... WOW. Why dont car manufacturers make cars this pretty any more ?!

Agreed, but picture this:

A guy in his 2.0 TDI A4 which set him back say 30,000 grand. He's paying €500 euros road tax a year. He goes to the petrol station every morning on the way to work and buys a coffee and the daily paper. So he's spending €3 a day for say 300 days of the year. So between motor tax, coffee and the daily paper he has spent nearly €1500.

Now there's the OP in his car. Sure motor tax has cost him €1500 and the fuel economy isn't as good as the other guys but he has a nice flask of coffee with him that he made at home - far better than that **** from the petrol station. Oh ya, he reads the paper online and his depreciation isnt as big.

I wonder whose enjoying their driving more :D

This post was based on the assumption that the op drinks coffee from a flask and reads the paper online :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Thanks a mill for the comments guys.

As for the alloys - the spoked alloys are nice however I did want the "throwing star" alloys as I feel the look the sportier of the two. The muli-spokes look slightly dated in my eyes however, as you mention, personal choice.

It's a fab motor; I am chuffed. Lovely cream/grey leather interior - all the extras one could imagine - whoever ordered it back in 1997 didn't hold back so thanks to whoever that was!! Heated seats, cruise control, EDC, tiptronic auto-box, sports/komfort modes etc! It's brill! Hee hee. Excuse my enthusiasm.

MPG - on motorway trips, prob looking at about 24 mpg - city driving........ehhh, not great, about 16mpg. However, I knew I wasn't buying an economic car. It's not breaking the bank thankfully in terms of filling her up. I'll hang on to it for a year or two before I'm forced to be more sensible and get rid but am loving it thus far!

...Dude. You actually bought one. You f*cking rock. :D
    Some day, some day..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Congrats on the 8! Absolutely stunning, i've seen some beaten up red ones about the place which are a disgrace to the model, but that Orient Blue 840 is gorgeous.
    But my oh my get some m-parallels, the wheels you have make it look like a Mazda. Purely constructive criticism, you have one of the finests cars in the country there, I just prefer the m-parallels, take a look here:

1997-bmw-840ci.jpg

(They appear to be replica chrome m-pars, but you get the idea. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Well wear shabby! Beautiful car, I hope she does you well. And I think the wheels are perfect for it, they really suit the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

But my oh my get some m-parallels, the wheels you have make it look like a Mazda. Purely constructive criticism, you have one of the finests cars in the country there, I just prefer the m-parallels

I must say I couldn't disagree more. I think the wheels the OP has are way better looking than those. It's all personal opinion anyway I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I must say I couldn't disagree more. I think the wheels the OP has are way better looking than those. It's all personal opinion anyway I guess.

The wheels the Op has are the e34 M5 "throwing star" wheels. They are quite nice in my opinion. The "star" bit can be removed to reveal a black alloy wheel akin to those space saver alloys (in appearance).
    OP make sure you have the "stars" going in the right direction too, it is possible to have the "stars" on the wrong side of the car thus affecting the brake cooling efficiency. It's sad that I know this but I read it some years ago (in BMWCAR IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

cianclarke wrote: »
    ...Dude. You actually bought one. You f*cking rock. :D
    Some day, some day..

That sums up my thoughts exactly.

I started reading this thread.....Ho... hum.... another idiot (like myself) dreaming about buying a car he can't afford to buy / insure / run.... blah blah blah.......

Then....BAM.....!!!!!! You freggin bought one....

Not alone did you buy a car..... You bought one of the most beautiful machines ever put on the road.

I nearly puked with envy when I saw it.

I hate you.
    I hate your dog.
    I hate your house.
    I hate your dentist.
    I hate your germs.
    I hate the grass on your lawn.
    I hate your Junior infants teacher.
    I hate every single thing about you.

But....yeah, You Rock.

(and so does your car)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

BnA wrote: »
    That sums up my thoughts exactly.

I started reading this thread.....Ho... hum.... another idiot (like myself) dreaming about buying a car he can't afford to buy / insure / run.... blah blah blah.......

Then....BAM.....!!!!!! You freggin bought one....

Not alone did you buy a car..... You bought one of the most beautiful machines ever put on the road.

I nearly puked with envy when I saw it.

I hate you.
    I hate your dog.
    I hate your house.
    I hate your dentist.
    I hate your germs.
    I hate the grass on your lawn.
    I hate your Junior infants teacher.
    I hate every single thing about you.

But....yeah, You Rock.

(and so does your car)

ROFLMAO! :D:D

that 840 is so sweet, and as said above, all for the price of a 2nd hand 1.4 Golf, its wonderful to see that there are still some genuine petrolheads out there

Advertisement