Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No ridiculing the faith of others" rule

• 20-08-2007 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few posts both in this forum and in the Christianity forum recently about the rule banning the ridicule of other religions. Now I respect the fact that people are welcome to believe what they want but surely in an Atheism forum, disecting religion should be par for the course? Obviously personal insults are not welcome but I for one think that any religion and it's mandates should be open season.

Perhaps the rule is a carry over from the fact that the forum is a sub category of Religion and Spirituality?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I guess blatant ridiculing would just lead to a flame war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

We mostly ignore it, as do the mods :D

As long as no one gets over-the-top personal then its all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Zillah wrote:
    We mostly ignore it, as do the mods :D

As long as no one gets over-the-top personal then its all good.

Good answer.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There is a difference between 'dissecting' and 'ridiculing', although sometimes the lines are blurred.

If we were to allow every "gOD suxx yeah christions are STupid" type post this place would go downhill rapidly. As it is most comments are let go unless they are personal or downright ignorant.

This forum would be a less interesting place if we didn't have some regular dissenting voices, and while they might often feel they don't get the protection suggested by the charter it could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This forum would be a less interesting place if we didn't have some regular dissenting voices, and while they might often feel they don't get the protection suggested by the charter it could be a lot worse.

I would think those of a religious persuasion have their beliefs very well protected by society already. Way over-protected in fact. So an internet forum should be relatively liberal, without the personal insults of a 'you are a completely brainless idiot' variety, of course.

One of the reasons religion survives and flourishes so well is the fact that religious beliefs have long been largely immune from dissection. The charter for the islam forum is telling. You dare not question anything much in there or you'll be banned. What a cosy little group hug that is.

Might I add, the overall leniency of the mods on this forum is one of the reasons it provides some of the most interesting discussion on boards. Some of the most interesting threads here have been threads that wandered well off topic. An enlightened forum with enlightened mods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

aidan24326 wrote:
    Might I add, the overall leniency of the mods on this forum is one of the reasons it provides some of the most interesting discussion on boards.
    What about taste in music? I got a few digs recenly about that recently from both atheists and theist. Actually I reckon I am one of the few people who has been abused from both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

What about taste in music? I got a few digs recenly about that recently from both atheists and theist. Actually I reckon I am one of the few people who has been abused from both sides.

You're a uniter, not a divider.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Well, taste in music is somewhat subjective, but you do get a group mod hug cause we love ya:) .

/abused! You have seen nothing yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

aidan24326 wrote:
    Some of the most interesting threads here have been threads that wandered well off topic.
    So true - a bit like conversations in real life™. :)
    I seem to recall you were somewhat angsty when you first arrived, Tim. There was moderation required in a few instances. Maybe take it as a compliment that you're not deemed in need of "protection" these days. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Scofflaw wrote:
    You're a uniter, not a divider.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I've helped you make friends - that's cool.
    I seem to recall you were somewhat angsty when you first arrived, Tim. There was moderation required in a few instances. Maybe take it as a compliment that you're not deemed in need of "protection" these days.
    Perhaps, but I think some of the more militant (I really f*cking hate alll religion) atheists that post regularly in this forum don't really like their Dawkins worshipping views being challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That was pretty light hearted stuff though, hardly a flame war.

And I don't think there's too many posters in here who don't like to have their views challenged. I would be leaning towards the Dawkins side of the argument but am open to challenge and quite happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on something. We'd learn nothing if it was all agreement.

Advertisement